SASS Wire Forum

New Lee progressive, anyone tried one

Buckshot Bob

I’ve never given Lee equipment much consideration until I bought a APP press to process brass.And a couple sets of their dies. The factory crimp die is what got me to try their products. Before that I was always a die hard RCBS/Dillon guy 

But if they work for $340 with dies and a case feeder you could have dedicated set ups 

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/96021

$244 for just the press

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/95855/inline/1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been following reports on YouTube and other online platforms.  Apparently Lee has already upgraded a couple of pieces based on feedback.

Looks like it has potential.

I used a Lee loadmaster when I started reloading. It did fine, but I decided I wanted the ability to add a powder check die, so I got. Dillon 650. 
the Losdmaster worked fine, my only complaint was it primed on downstroke, so could not “feel” primer being seated. It looks like the new Lee press primes on upstroke, similar to Dillon. They, along with space for adding a powder check (and a bullet feeder if desired) would certainly have me consider one if I was in the market. Lee equipment works.  And at a much better price-point than Dillon. 

I'm still using 2 Load Masters 1 set for small pistol primers & 1 set for large - when I started reloading it was what I could afford but still working after 15 years so I'm still using them.  if it works don't fix it.

One thing I noticed is that this press does not use the Lee safety prime system that required a separate hand motion to prime and is prone to dropping primers.  

Wonder ‘how it does feeding non coated bullets? Looks like jacketed feed flawlessly in the video.

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Wonder ‘how it does feeding non coated bullets? Looks like jacketed feed flawlessly in the video.

I don’t believe that’s a Lee bullet feeder he’s using. I think it’s a Mr Bullet feeder 

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/catalog/all-products?keywords=Mr+bullet+feeeder+Jr

7 hours ago, 40Chev said:

Is that primer feed system a lot more reliable than the earler styles?

I think only time will tell 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I don’t believe that’s a Lee bullet feeder he’s using. I think it’s a Mr Bullet feeder 

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/catalog/all-products?keywords=Mr+bullet+feeeder+Jr

I think only time will tell 

I can’t really tell which one it is.

In one of the videos I noticed that the caliper being used has a round red accessory that fastens to one of the blades by a thumb screw.  I have never seen one of these before and don't seem to be able to find one online.  Does anyone know what you call them and where one might be obtained?  

14 minutes ago, Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998 said:

In one of the videos I noticed that the caliper being used has a round red accessory that fastens to one of the blades by a thumb screw.  I have never seen one of these before and don't seem to be able to find one online.  Does anyone know what you call them and where one might be obtained?  

Try this

https://www.jewelerssupplies.com/caliper-accessory-kit-520.600.html

Try googling "caliper accessories"

27 minutes ago, Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998 said:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012747582?pid=584824

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Thanks Buckshot Bob.  That's exactly what I'm looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one to evaluate.   It is set up in .38/.357.

The case feed is not very good but I think it can be made to work.

The primer system gave me fits.  I have replacement/upgades to install and evaluate.    The new primer shuttle is longer and the new primer punch is redesigned so it does not jam up the machine if you get powder or dirt around it.   It will not always feed primers as the system depends on a bit of shaking and gravity feed.   Works OK if you have a bunch of primers in the track but hiccups if less than 4 primers in the track.  I ordered a small vibrator to see if it will solve the problem.

It is a stupid design as they tell you put the powder measure at the primer station,   So if you miss a primer ,and drop powder, it jams the system.  This is with a fine grained powder.  Might not be as bad with a larger flake powder.   Until I got the new primer punch I moved the powder drop to station 3 and that solved the problem.   I am not a fan of the primer tray system but may get used to it.  Tubes seem better to me.  

The powder measure is extremely consistent using Clean Shot.   The power hopper is a joke.  Holds 1/2 lb of powder but that is easy to solve.  Adjusting the measure is easy and accurate.  Better than what I have ever used.    Even If I decide the 6000 is not good enough to keep, I intend to switch over my Dillon measures to this new Lee design.  

The "clutch disk " is flimsy plastic and easy to damage and mine did that the first day.  I have a new one. to install.  BTW changing the clutch disk and unjamming the primer punch is a real PITA.    One other item...the primer punch is the same size for small and large primers.   I will not be loading large primers so will not evaluate that aspect.  

If you get one, get extra clutch disks and primer springs.   You will need them until you work out all the bugs.

I have owned everything from Stars, Green Machine, and every Dillon press.   Even loaded on a Camdex.  At one point I had five progressives set up.   But I do not shoot that much anymore and my plan is to sell the last 1050 I have if this machine works.  For me, "works" means 1000 round batches in 2 hours without tweaking or cleaning; and 5,000 rounds without having to replace parts.   If it works, I will add another 6000 for loading 9mm and be $1000 ahead of the game after selling the 1050.   I have stopped loading .40 and .45's in quantity and will load them on the Dillon 550.    95% of our pistol caliber shooting is 9mm and .38's.   

At this point I could not recommend the 6000.  Lee is using us a Beta testers and working out bugs as we find them.    Like I said,  even if it works, I will keep the 550 not just for lower production duty but as a reliable backup.    

• 5 weeks later...

I have a couple of Lee presses, a Loadmaster, a LeePro1000, and a couple of the older manual turret presses.  Over the last 15 years of Cowboy reloading, I would bet we have run 40K rounds through them.  For the most part, parts are readily available when needed, and although not "Free" they tend to be relatively inexpensive.

My son bought one of the APP presses that we setup to deprime shells.  I ran four 5 gallon buckets of 38 brass through it with very minimal issues, and after I upgraded the single position case feeder to the 4 position one, it ran through the cases very quickly.

If I had $$$ to Burn, I'd probably have a room full of Dillons, but until then, my Lee and Mec presses keep us in Cowboy ammo without issue.

I got a email from MidSouth today saying they have 10% off of everything Lee . So I bit, they seem to be getting decent reviews so for $305 for the kit in 357 I figured I’d give it a try. Probably won’t set it up real soon but I figured I probably won’t be able to beat that price. Lee is supposed to come out with a bullet feeder next month some time and in-line fabrication is supposedly coming out with a mount, I don’t want the quick change they already have out 

On 1/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, Yul Lose said:

The bullet feeder is third party and not a part of the lee package. I have several 3D printed bullet feeders and they run great with lead projectiles

On 1/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, Charlie T Waite said:

I'm still using 2 Load Masters 1 set for small pistol primers & 1 set for large - when I started reloading it was what I could afford but still working after 15 years so I'm still using them.  if it works don't fix it.

That's exactly what I'm running. I had hopes of only 1 but everytime I wanted to switch primer sizes it seemed like I had to adjust the timing so I got another one and did exactly as you. Been running them for years. 

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

The bullet feeder is third party and not a part of the lee package. I have several 3D printed bullet feeders and they run great with lead projectiles

Lee is supposed to be coming out with a bullet feeder for this press next month. From what I’ve seen on Youtube people are pretty happy with the mini Mr bullet feeder 

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-mr-bulletfeeder

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I have 1 on back order with Midway. I'm hoping it's less troublesome out of the box than my load masters.

Midsouth still has them on sale and in stock in most calibers for $306

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000691903/38-special357-mag-six-pack-pro-6000-progressive-press-kit

53 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

a couple dollars more after tax and shipping than the midway usa with my birthday discount but worth it to not wait. Appreciate the link. 

14 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

a couple dollars more after tax and shipping than the midway usa with my birthday discount but worth it to not wait. Appreciate the link. 

I never knew the birthday discount was that good, when I price shopped around midway and Natchez were 2 of the higher priced dealers

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I never knew the birthday discount was that good, when I price shopped around midway and Natchez were 2 of the higher priced dealers

I keep a running list of stuff i want from midway and place 1 order every year around my bday to make use of the discount. I'm not sure what the % is but the kit was $329 shipped at Midway on back order and the total in stock shipped from midsouth was $338. I'm happy enough to pay the couple extra bucks to know it'll be here in a week rather than wait an unknown time to get it. I still made use of my bday discount at Midway by ordering all the shell plates, bushings, and miscellaneous stuff I needed to load all my high volume calibers on the 6000. I'll post videos once it's up and running. Hopefully this one will swap between primer sizes without issue and I can free up bench space by removing the 2 loadmasters. 

Archived