SASS Wire Forum

Someone Failed History

Subdeacon Joe

OK, the town has been known for centuries for its spas and mineral water, in fact Vichy Water had been a general term for mineral water. So I can see what they were trying to imply.

But, given recent history I think they could have made a better choice of name.

FB_IMG_1672942176966.thumb.jpg.476ccf64fd1344aa5265cbb6b5cec47c.jpg

5 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

The company has been in business since 1931, so I don't understand your comment about history.  Am I missing something?

During WW II the "French State" known a Vichy France, which included the portion occupied by the Germans, collaborated with the Nazis.  The Free French government in exile was led by Charles DeGaulle.  The "French State" was headquartered in the town of Vichy, in the "unoccupied" zone of France.

11 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

The company has been in business since 1931, so I don't understand your comment about history.  Am I missing something?

Pretty obvious to me. The company collaborated with dermatologists for testing. The models are only showing a 1/4 of their heads for a reason. 

The dermatologists' results were not in favor of the company, obviously, and the rest of the model's face and scalp were damaged with tar and feathers.

31 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Looks like I failed pre-WWII history.  So my first impression was of collaborators.   

Re the soup, I'm kind of surprised that it wasn't renamed.  I know that it is centuries old but I still make the connection to the 1940s.   Sometimes thinking of it as Quisling Soup. :D

Or maybe they just refused to let Hitler decide what they would be called.

Remember the swastika? The world wide symbol of good luck. Every civilization in the history of the world has used the swastika to symbolize good luck. Can't use the swastika anymore. Hitler.

You know you have the British military mustache. The Latin pencil thin mustache. Well the Charlie Chaplin mustache used to be called the American mustache. Nobody can wear that mustache anymore. Hitler.

Maybe Vichy Laboratoire just decided - screw him. We were here first. We had the name before he was around. And we will continue to have it.

Personally, I think that's a wonderful thing. And I wish people still used the swastika and wore American mustaches.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Remember the swastika? The world wide symbol of good luck. Every civilization in the history of the world has used the swastika to symbolize good luck.

Found on lots of American Indian art.  Here are three examples from the U.S.  The interior of the prop spinner on the Spirit of Saint Louis.  The KRIT motorcar company.  And, the U.S. Army 45th Infantry Division.

deliveryService.thumb.jpeg.e41a1d015bd7bdc99dfccc43e966071d.jpeg

krit-motor-car-company-detroit.jpeg.e8b18b08ea57893b132020a85d222cac.jpeg

Patch_of_the_45th_Infantry_Division_(1924-1939)_svg.thumb.png.375bb421f9b5609441a5dd92c436f024.png

Lots of southwestern Native Americans used swastikas' in their art. Like Alpo said, it was the symbol of good luck. In some instances the pattern was called Whirling Logs. I have a Zia pot made around 2000-2005 with several on it. The artist has since died of old age. The symbol was frequently used in weavings prior to the Nazis. After the Nazis used it, no tourist wanted the symbol on anything so they stopped using it unless disguised. As time has gone by some artists have started using it again but the prejudice still remains as the ignorant don't realize Native Americans were using the symbol a millennia before Hitler was a twinkle in his father's eye. Even now, when my 20-something daughter brings new friends to our house, I see them whispering when viewing my collection of Indian art. I always know the cause and I educate them on history.

IMG_5057.JPG

Archived