SASS Wire Forum

Meagan and Harry

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

King Charles earned his uniform -

I had the honor in 2002 to meet and spend six hours with Air Commodore Sir Archie Winskill DFC* KCVO at his home at Henley-on-Thames. A long story, he was a Spitfire ace in WWII and from 1968 to 1982 served as the Captain of the Queen's Flight. TQF was a division of  the RAF, now disbanded, that was responsible for the air transportation of the royal family.

As such, he was ultimately responsible for the oversight of Prince Charles' pilot training. He spoke highly of Charles. He recounted a most interesting story as to a heated conversation with Prince Philip over Charles' readiness to fly some family members; he contradicted Philip's contention that he was, and won the argument. Apparently one of the reasons that Sir Archie was chosen as Captain of the Flight was the strength of his personality, useful in dealing with Prince Philip, also a man of notably strong personality.

He spoke very highly of of Philip and all of the family. He became a close personal friend of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (Elizabeth II's mom). Archie's 2005 obituary in the London Telegraph ended with one of the greatest lines I've seen in one: "Archie Winskill was a man of great charm and courtesy. The Queen Mother was once heard to say, 'it's for men like Sir Archie that makes it worthwhile to put my lipstick on in the morning' ".

This experience added to my positive view of the British monarchy.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I had the honor in 2002 to meet and spend six hours with Air Commodore Sir Archie Winskill DFC* KCVO at his home at Henley-on-Thames. A long story, he was a Spitfire ace in WWII and from 1968 to 1982 served as the Captain of the Queen's Flight. TQF was a division of  the RAF, now disbanded, that was responsible for the air transportation of the royal family.

As such, he was ultimately responsible for the oversight of Prince Charles' pilot training. He spoke highly of Charles. He recounted a most interesting story as to a heated conversation with Prince Philip over Charles' readiness to fly some family members; he contradicted Philip's contention that he was, and won the argument. Apparently one of the reasons that Sir Archie was chosen as Captain of the Flight was the strength of his personality, useful in dealing with Prince Philip, also a man of notably strong personality.

He spoke very highly of of Philip and all of the family. He became a close personal friend of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (Elizabeth II's mom). Archie's 2005 obituary in the London Telegraph ended with one of the greatest lines I've seen in one: "Archie Winskill was a man of great charm and courtesy. The Queen Mother was once heard to say, 'it's for men like Sir Archie that makes it worthwhile to put my lipstick on in the morning' ".

This experience added to my positive view of the British monarchy.

Thank you for recounting that anecdote Red, really enjoyed reading it.

He is the family dunce from a very long line of inbreeding.
She is the poster girl for "gold digger" and one reason why the "C word" remains so popular in the lexicon today.
I cannot fathom how the dunce willingly put her fur collar around his neck, for the rest of his life.

23 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Runs in the family - there was Wallis & Eddie, Charles & Diana, and now Me-again and Harry. 

Princess Diana was not a gold digger. She was far from it. 

Archived