SASS Wire Forum

Price of used 44 magnum Brass

I have a bunch of used 44 magnum mixed head stamp brass that I have collected and used over the years. I am cleaning up the reloading area and have counted out 400 pieces this afternoon and have 3 or 4 boxes to go thru. I figure i have 1000+ pieces and I will probably sell them. The last gun show a guy told me he would buy them ( ammo / brass seller), but his offer seemed low compared to what I saw on Gunbroker.

What do you all think used 44 mag brass, mixed head stamp, loaded more than 4-5 times with cowboy loads would be worth per piece.

A penny? A nickle? A dime?, 15 cents? 20 cents? A quarter? more than that? 

Post your thoughts. 

Thanks 

Starline has them new for .25 each in the 500 quantity and .22 for the 1000 quantity.  Once fired used should bring half of that plus shipping.  So .10 to .12 each. 

The last time I bought used brass I paid a nickel a piece.

Just about the same time I bought a thousand pieces of new from Starline. $88. That's nine cents a piece.

5 cents each is approximately half price of 9 cents each.

So see what Starline sells it new for, and charge half of that.

9 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I have a bunch of used 44 magnum mixed head stamp brass that I have collected and used over the years. I am cleaning up the reloading area and have counted out 400 pieces this afternoon and have 3 or 4 boxes to go thru. I figure i have 1000+ pieces and I will probably sell them. The last gun show a guy told me he would buy them ( ammo / brass seller), but his offer seemed low compared to what I saw on Gunbroker.

What do you all think used 44 mag brass, mixed head stamp, loaded more than 4-5 times with cowboy loads would be worth per piece.

A penny? A nickle? A dime?, 15 cents? 20 cents? A quarter? more than that? 

Post your thoughts. 

Thanks 

Since they are not once-fired they are worth less than once-fired brass.  The minimum they are worth is their scrap value: ~$1.25/lb (according to an online search).  According to this reference there are ~58.2, 44 mag cases per lb (no info regarding presence of spent primers).  Therefore each case has a scrap value of ~1-lb/58.2*$1.25 = $0.215.  Take that into consideration.  A penny a case is too little.

I just bought new Starline .44 Magnum locally for $38 per 100.  Brass that could split after one time would be worth much less. I agree with the 10 cent figure.

Archived