SASS Wire Forum

TaSER question

Alpo

On the TV show.

On the TV show the bad guy is sitting on top of the good guy's chest strangling him, when a second good guy comes up behind and shoots the bad guy with a TaSER.

So I guess this is actually an electrical question.

When the umpty ump thousand volts are going out of the left electrode and through the bad guy's body into the right electrode, completing the electrical circuit, would the good guy that he is sitting on (and that he has his hands around the neck of), also get zapped?

That's a good idea but there's three problems with it.

I don't have anyone who is willing to be choked while I shoot the guy choking him.

I also don't have anyone who's willing to let me shoot him while he's choking somebody.

And lastly, I ain't got a TaSER.

I've been hit by a car while investigating an accident and I was tased in training.  For the record, it hurt worse to be tased.

Well, it appears, from that video, that the victim would not get zapped. They had two cops holding on to that fireman, and they didn't act like they got zapped

When we first bought them for our force, I foolishly allowed them to tape the electrodes to me.

I was advised to go the the bathroom before the experience.

Never again.

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

They aren't in the circuit.  

Because both electrodes are in his back, and they are holding on to his arms, the electricity is going simply through his trunk and his arms are outside the path? I thought about that, but I ain't no electrician.

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Because both electrodes are in his back, and they are holding on to his arms, the electricity is going simply through his trunk and his arms are outside the path? I thought about that, but I ain't no electrician.

Electricity takes the shortest path to ground. Electrodes stuck in his back (or anywhere else) at 5 - 10" apart create only a 5 - 10" path. Normally, people wearing shoes of some type and not directly grounded, do not create a good path to ground. Same reason that birds/squirrels/etc., can sit on high voltage power lines without injury...unless they somehow ground themselves, then it's bbq animal.

Can't say about tasers, but before shooting a defibrillator, even in EMT training,  you call out "clear" so no one is touching the patient.  Never heard of anyone testing that.  Those electrodes are on the front of the torso and depending on patient size, not very far apart.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Can't say about tasers, but before shooting a defibrillator, even in EMT training,  you call out "clear" so no one is touching the patient.  Never heard of anyone testing that.  Those electrodes are on the front of the torso and depending on patient size, not very far apart.

I worked for the seven county SEOEMS regional paramedic service, headquartered out of Gallipolis.
I want to say it was the Lawrence County service had a water rescue.

Patient was hauled out of the water, CPR started while the boat was being rowed back to shore, soon as it grounded, the medics stepped in, assessed, greased the paddles and charged the aluminum AmbPak (the 35 pound boat anchor that could, and did, survive a 35 MPH fall from the tailboard of Squad 031)

They defibrillated with the patient in the aluminum boat but didn't yell CLEAR ... and everyone in contact with the aluminum boat got mulekicked back off of it!

My buddy from the Vinton County told me he saw it happen so I reckon it did!

It's top and bottom, not left and right, unless the TASER firer turned the gun sideways and shot ghetto style.  The top electrode fires at the red dot created by a laser sight.  The bottom electrode fires beneath it at a seven degree angle.

As to your question, ONLY if the other person is touching the suspect between the electrodes.

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

I've been hit by a car while investigating an accident and I was tased in training.  For the record, it hurt worse to be tased.

I was a TASER instructor for a few years.  At the academy we all got tased for a 5-second ride.  At the instructor course, we horsed around with expired cartridges and tased each other repeatedly like a bunch of hooligans :)

I've rode the lightning a couple of times, plus a few friendly fire stun gun applications from fellow officers.  Dad almost electrocuted me once with a faulty extension cord and a terrazzo floor.  That hurt worse than the Taser or the stun guns. 

I have no experience with a taser. However when an AED device automatically shocked a guy who was laying on the ground at the Flying J fuel island having a heart attack, the person touching him got jolted as well. Apparently when the AED said the final clear, one person didn’t hear it. The person performing CPR was not shocked as he paused and stepped back when the AED alerted. 

Friendly Fire.....ain't all that friendly ! LOL

Generally, Tasers worked for me. Not always 100 percent, and I had more than one dude or dudette surrender immediately when the Taser cleared the holster. I did manage to taser myself once or twice, mostly by inattention and getting tangled up in the wires by accident or something like, or just being in wrong place, wrong time. But everybody I got two probes into, got to Ride The Lightnin'.:D

(beats pluggin'em and doing all that paperwork.....)

Archived