SASS Wire Forum

Is that legal

Alpo

This was television and I absolutely know they can do whatever the hell they want to on television.

But if it was real, would it be legal?

Hit and Run. Of course it's an extremely rare car and there's only three in the tri-state area, and one was just a few miles away from where the death was. So they go there, they look in the garage window. The car is there but they can't see whether or not it has busted headlight

They go to knock on the door, and hear a smoke alarm. Looking through the glass in the door they can see smoke in the house so they bust the glass in the door and unlock it and come in.

I don't have a problem with that. Emergency.

They turn off the oven and open the door to the extremely overcooked barbecue pizza. And they go in the living room where the owner of the house and car is passed out drunk on the couch.

Now comes the question.

While one cop tries to wake up the drunk, the other cop picks up the convenient garage door opener and goes back outside and opens the garage door and walks in and looks and find the broken headlight.

I can see them breaking the door window and coming in the house. Smoke in the kitchen, so there could be a fire. Emergency.

And if while asserting that there was not a fire - yet - from the overcooked food in the oven they happen to notice the three kilos of cocaine on the kitchen table, in plain sight. They can legally arrest him for that. I think.

But while they was checking on the fire in the kitchen they could not legally go open his bedroom door and look in his dresser.

And it seems to me that using the garage door opener to open the closed and locked garage, and then entering the garage so they could do a search - that would be the same as looking in his bedroom. Illegal search.

Wouldn't it?

And again - I am aware that it is a television show and they can do whatever the hell they want to on a television show.

They wanted to make sure the fire hadn't spread to the garage. Lots of flammables in a garage. They were doing the guy a favor.

Archived