SASS Wire Forum

White's Boots

Captain Bill Burt

As we age, so do our feet.  Mine are starting to be particular about what I wear.  Nothing against my Ariats, but I'm looking to upgrade.

Somewhere along the way I heard about White's Boots.  I've looked over their website and the Original Farmer/Rancher looks nice.   Has anyone bought any of these and would you share your thoughts? 

I would like to hear from folks before I drop $700 on a pair of boots.

The only pair of Whites that I have owned were the Whites Packer Boot. Very well made and quite heavy. Wore them a lot when I had my horses. I never found them really comfortable but they never hurt my feet either. 

I have White's leather Packers in black and brown.

They are 25 years old and have only needed new heels but could have gone at least another ten.

I also have a pair of waterproof winter

Packers. They wore out badly. I just had them completely squared away.

All three of my pairs of boots have performed comfortably & excellently.

I use them everyday for walking, riding and shooting. My other riding boots are custom Halls.

Obviously, I don't skimp on footwear.

I've never worn White's boots so can't comment on them.

I've had two pairs of Double H Packers.  I wore out the soles on the first pair after 10 years.  They are very comfortable and durable, and much less expensive than the White's.

I've never worn White's boots either so neither can I comment on them.  But having the same issue I researched boots I could possibly wear.  I heard about White's but also have a few friends who have Tacovas (around the same price point).  I went with the Tacovas because they had a huge sale and I got my 2 pair for 50% off at the time.  They are true to size and customer service was great with 100% guarantee.  Very comfortable & I'm not sorry I chose them.

Charlie  

I wear a pair of Whites Logging boots (steel toe, steel shank with spikes) that I've worn in heavy  logging and tractor work for 28 years.  I've  damaged the uppers once (chain saw scuff) and worn out the soles once in that time.   

They are heavy, stiff-- they give great ankle support, walking on top of logs while limbing, they are reliably snakeproof,  and extremely durable. 

As above, I've sent them back for repairs twice.  Both times they quickly contacted me and replaced the boots free of charge and paid shipping both ways. 

The boots are not lightweight by any stretch, but they give great support and protection.  And the lifetime warranty makes them among the lowest cost boots out there, IF you ever need them replaced. 

I think I paid $550 in 1993 or 94, and I'm on the second free replacement, which makes the cost $550/3 =$183

I tried a pair of $280 Danners for a time, looking for a lighter weight boot.  They did not hold up very well in my heavy work.  

I have not worn the lighter weight Whites, so I can't attest, but their warranty is bomb-proof.  

14 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

As we age, so do our feet.  Mine are starting to be particular about what I wear.  Nothing against my Ariats, but I'm looking to upgrade.

Somewhere along the way I heard about White's Boots.  I've looked over their website and the Original Farmer/Rancher looks nice.   Has anyone bought any of these and would you share your thoughts? 

I would like to hear from folks before I drop $700 on a pair of boots.

You don't say exactly what's going on with your feet, but you might consider talking to your doctor and seeing if a trip to a podiatrist is in order. Orthotics can fix some things that the best shoes and boots can't.

37 minutes ago, DocWard said:

You don't say exactly what's going on with your feet, but you might consider talking to your doctor and seeing if a trip to a podiatrist is in order. Orthotics can fix some things that the best shoes and boots can't.

Hi Doc. I have been to a podiatrist. Basically I have really high arches. He said the highest he’s seen. When I stood on a pressure plate there was just a trace of the outline of the side of my foot. So lots of pressure on heel and ball, leading to a stress fracture sesamoid, which will remain in two pieces going forward.

I have orthotics, and stick to Brooks, Hoya, and New Balance tennis shoes. 

I also have a note from him about wearing them at matches, but would rather stay with the Cowboy look if I can find boots that don’t have my foot hurting at the end of the day.

Put us down in the Tecovas camp.

We each got a pair at Landrun a couple of years ago, when they had the ice storm that closed down darn near the whole town.

Except the Tecovas store in Oklahoma City.

Shortcake took that as a sign that we needed to visit that store.

She went with an ostrich pair. Me, just a plain jane cowboy pair.

Fit and feel was awesome and still is.

I've had surgeries on both feet, and have orthotics, so I do want to feel comfortable.

Tecovas checked all the boxes for us.

Cap'n,

I have the same foot problem as you--almost identical!

I bear weight only on the heel and balls of my feet.  I have to use a piece of trimmed 1/2" carpet as an insert OVER my orthotic, otherwise my feet hurt all night.  The carpet (recommended by my Podiatrist) does work pretty well.  I cut them the same as my orthotic inserts, except they do not extend under the toes.  The Podiatrist thought that would help to relieve and help correct the my hammer-toe condition.  

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Hi Doc. I have been to a podiatrist. Basically I have really high arches. He said the highest he’s seen. When I stood on a pressure plate there was just a trace of the outline of the side of my foot. So lots of pressure on heel and ball, leading to a stress fracture sesamoid, which will remain in two pieces going forward.

I have orthotics, and stick to Brooks, Hoya, and New Balance tennis shoes. 

I also have a note from him about wearing them at matches, but would rather stay with the Cowboy look if I can find boots that don’t have my foot hurting at the end of the day.

I use these in all my boots. 

Superfeet GREEN - High Arch Orthotic Support - Cut-To-Fit Shoe Insoles

When I buy boots I take a new pair to the store with me and put them in before I try a pair on. That way I know they'll fit.

High arches here. I have been wearing a pair of Whites Packers for all my CAS for over 20 years and a lot of time for other things. They are the most comfortable shoes I have. The price has sure gone up.

I,  like Chief Rick, have two pair of HH packers. Been shooting in these for the past 8 years. Comfortable, good support and built just plain tough.

Oh, and much cheaper than White's

7 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I,  like Chief Rick, have two pair of HH packers. Been shooting in these for the past 8 years. Comfortable, good support and built just plain tough.

Oh, and much cheaper than White's

Well, I still have the HH packers I bought when I started shooting cowboy. They soon got uncomfortable as they do not use a proper last for a high arch.  For us with a high arch the heal needs to be parallel top and bottom, not wedge shaped. The HH boots should be a lot less than Whites, they are a lot less boot. Great if they work for you.

When you guys say what boot you like you never say what kind of an arch you have.

I also like SUPERfeet yellow insoles for footwear with elevated heels, these will help your hammer toes and your toe to metarsal joints to feel better.

8 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

Well, I still have the HH packers I bought when I started shooting cowboy. They soon got uncomfortable as they do not use a proper last for a high arch.  For us with a high arch the heal needs to be parallel top and bottom, not wedge shaped. The HH boots should be a lot less than Whites, they are a lot less boot. Great if they work for you.

When you guys say what boot you like you never say what kind of an arch you have.

I also like SUPERfeet yellow insoles for footwear with elevated heels, these will help your hammer toes and your toe to metarsal joints to feel better.

You're way down in the details (models/styles) now. Pull back up to the 30K ft level. If you look at all White's models, some of those would not work for you and your needs as described......... Farmer, Rancher, etc, and any style with a Lineman designation. And, you could likely find a HH pair with level/parallel heel to feel comfortable in. But, they are far from "a lot less boot". As you stated, it depends on what kind of arch you have. And, several other footbed characteristics. 

Oh, and my arch is more like a trellis ;)

FWIW - the Tecovas I wear have a med arch support & 1" heels.  I can't wear larger heals since the surgeries.  When the soles wear out I can replace then locally or (My Choice) send them back to Tacovas; for about $150 (about 1/5th the cost of new), I get them returned within 4 week, totally refurbished, new heals, resoled, cleaned, conditioned, and polished, and they do their best with any cosmetic damage.  It's like getting new boot that are already broke in for my feet.

9 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

I NEVER buy boots that I can't try on in a store due to the shape of my feet.  Double H boots, Justins, Tacovas and others are much more easily found in stores and can be tried on to determine proper fit for your/my feet.  YMMV

Edit to add - I now only own two pairs of pull-on cowboy boots.  Neither pair were tried on before I purchased them because I went to two separate boot makers and my feet measured and the boots made to order.  The less expensive pair are actually more comfortable the ones that cost almost double.  Does that make the less expensive pair less boots?

I’m still cogitating on this. I’m hesitant to buy pull on boots as it’s tough getting shoes off when my right foot swells. The last time I had a problem with it I took the laces in my Ariats completely out and it still hurt trying to get that boot off.

I’m also hesitant to buy boots I haven’t tried on, but I did take all the measurements they tell you to and called them with them. They told me I need a 9 D which I think is right given I wear a 9.5 D in Ariats.

I appreciate all the information and suggestions!!

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’m still cogitating on this. I’m hesitant to buy pull on boots as it’s tough getting shoes off when my right foot swells. The last time I had a problem with it I took the laces in my Ariats completely out and it still hurt trying to get that boot off.

I’m also hesitant to buy boots I haven’t tried on, but I did take all the measurements they tell you to and called them with them. They told me I need a 9 D which I think is right given I wear a 9.5 D in Ariats.

I bought 2 pair of Ariat, hated them and threw them away.  Same size, some foot issues, do you have a boot jack? Solves a lot of problems.

49 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have 1 pair pull on & 1 par with side zippers for when feet & ankle swell.

Archived