SASS Wire Forum

44-40 1860 Henry questions

Johnny Knight

Just ensure the follower doesn't slip, and keep the rifle at a shallow angle when loading.  I've been shooting a Henry since 2009, and have had nary a problem.  Definitely not rocket science.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 7:33 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The carrier length on the OLD Navy Arms Henry's is the same as the newer ones.  The biggest difference is that the bolt and firing pin extension are completely different from the newer ones.  On the old Navy Arms the firing pin extension is .040" larger in diameter than the newer versions.  That also means the hole in the bolt and the hole in the receiver are larger.  I had one of these new in the box for years and when I finally decided to fool around with it found the bolt was defective and the firing pin could not hit the primers.  No big deal I thought so I just grabbed a new bolt from the parts bin.  Nope, won't fit.  The gun had other problems so I just junked it and used the parts for other projects.

First photo, the new firing pin extension on the left and the old on the right.  Second photo.  New style bolt on the left, old on the right.  Hopefully everyone can see the difference in size without having to put a dial indicator next to the parts.  The old Navy Arms is scarce and this one is the only one I have ever seen.

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.6c5b27a09c62224155c66e4974cc38b3.jpeg

DSC_0009.thumb.jpeg.cd6b68758e50fcd8b5136595b482b3bb.jpeg

Larsen, I ended up picking up that Navy Arms Iron frame you mentioned they had in Cabela's in AZ.   Beautiful rifle, but guess what version it is?  :lol: Yep, the older version...  Oh well I took a chance, I will tune it up and run till she breaks.  If you have any tips of other differences in these particular models.  Give me a shout would you?

It should last forever with the stock bolt and extension.  The problem I had was the bolt inself was defective, i.e. the firing pin channel was not drilled correctly and the firing pin could not set off a primer.  Put in an empty primed case and pull the trigger.  If it goes bang you should be OK.  The only thing that might break is the bottom tab on the bolt and that can be fixed.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It should last forever with the stock bolt and extension.  The problem I had was the bolt inself was defective, i.e. the firing pin channel was not drilled correctly and the firing pin could not set off a primer.  Put in an empty primed case and pull the trigger.  If it goes bang you should be OK.  The only thing that might break is the bottom tab on the bolt and that can be fixed.

Oh your bolt was just totally messed up!  I figure I will take it to the range this weekend.   I tell you what it has a truck spring for the hammer!  :lol: 

Change the mainspring and the overly taunt lever and lifter springs with aftermarket springs like those from Slix or Shotgun Boogie and there will be a remarkable difference in levering effort.

Archived