SASS Wire Forum

Photo Of My Dad

Subdeacon Joe

A cousin was sorting through her mother's belongings and in the photographs came across one of my dad.  On the back it says Private A----- L-----

We think it was on his first leave after boot camp and before Sea School, around April 1941.  That would make him 19 1/2 years old

IMG_20230103_163346.thumb.jpg.cfb43422ef732e21ebadfd399c671da2.jpg

Semper Fidelis 

Some might recall a thread I started a couple months or so ago about my "Ancestry dot Com" experience and some remarkable - and wonderful - discoveries.

Here's one - my dad!  ^_^

USS Ranger CV-4

image.thumb.jpeg.8214c91d04925e839d2011b6fee032fd.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Some might recall a thread I started a couple months or so ago about my "Ancestry dot Com" experience and some remarkable - and wonderful - discoveries.

Here's one - my dad!  ^_^

USS Ranger CV-4

image.thumb.jpeg.8214c91d04925e839d2011b6fee032fd.jpeg

Pilot?  Or back seater in a bomber or torpedo bomber?

Hard to imagine our fathers were ever young.  I think mine acted old from the day he was born, but perhaps I think that because our relationship was strained.  I envy those of you who had supportive dads.

5 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Hard to imagine our fathers were ever young.  I think mine acted old from the day he was born, but perhaps I think that because our relationship was strained.  I envy those of you who had supportive dads.

Thank you, and accept my sympathy for you not having a good relationship with your dad.   On the other hand, unless he was abusive, at least you had a dad, unlike so many these days.

I read something like what you wrote and one of the best scenes from MASH flashes through my mind.

I found some info about my Dad on Ancestry.com. There was a billet document for the barracks he was assigned to at Camp Lejeune. 
Like @J-BAR #18287I had a difficult relationship with my old man. It was interesting finding documents about his service though. I didn’t come across any photos. 

Sent ya an email, Joe.  :)

Dad flew backwards as a TBF Avenger turret gunner.

Here's a picture of my "new" baby sister in Dad's seat.  :rolleyes:

image.png.24ad2458788616845b85e1f5ddb4bc7b.png

Picture of my dad. He was a Seaman First Class aboard the USS Idano (BB-42) during WW2.

Dad was a Quartermaster.  He was on the bridge, at the wheel, and he drove the ship!

Supposedly, Dad got advice from the officer of the bridge or a guy called captain that offered him recommendation....

image.thumb.png.1c7400c46e5c64e14564327298353f6f.png

Good post, Joe.

We had a great dad. He died 21 years ago, but I still stop and consult him about things now and then.

I'm a father,  grandfather, and a great grandfather. To the extent I've done well, I attribute it to him, and to my mother.

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sent ya an email, Joe.  :)

Dad flew backwards as a TBF Avenger turret gunner.

Here's a picture of my "new" baby sister in Dad's seat.  :rolleyes:

image.png.24ad2458788616845b85e1f5ddb4bc7b.png

Awesome aircraft!

I, too, had a wonderful father.   Very supportive and he was my go to person for any questions I had.  Had many fun filled days on the trout streams of NJ.  It’s been quite a few years since he passed and I still miss him every day. 

Gringo

My Dad was wonderfully patient. I tell people I started repairing cars at five years old. Dad laid out the tools on the ground and slid underneath. Then he stuck out his hand and asked for the tool he wanted. Not knowing a thing about which tool was which I picked up the first one and handed it to him. He took it under the car then passed it back out and described what he wanted. Eventually I learned my tools and to distinguish between a 1/2” and 9/16” wrench. I learned a great deal from Dad. The most important lesson was patience.

CJ

I lost my Dad in 2010. Far too early for me. He was only 95

He survived two aircraft crashes, (Rode a fixed wing down)  and a helicopter by autorotation into the bush), a midair with an eagle through the nose of the Photo Mitchell and an argument with an errant herd of cattle that decided to cross the runway a Kapuskasing, just as they touched down and lost flying speed. Took the nose wheel out and "Painted " the underside of the Mitchell as well as the Starboard engine and wing.

2005-07-12 16.24.32.jpg

Archived