SASS Wire Forum

Tumbstone- I don't have a comment.

Warden Callaway

I think anything that builds interest in lever guns and firearms / shooting in general, I am okay with. I may not like it or desire it but I think in the long run it’s a good thing. 

A little story.

Two weeks ago I was in my new favorite gun store / gun range - my other one shut down. The “new” store bought all the displays from the one that shut down and redid their store putting a lot of long guns and handguns in glass displays so one can look at them up close and personal. Lever guns take up 2 1/2 displays or about 20’ of space. They have several Henry “x” model guns. 
51FE0F5F-7365-4956-A933-BFD0C4DCAB63.thumb.webp.2f505a563eda410bfdc177c95303f0fa.webp

Evil black copies of the glorious wood and blued steel guns of yesteryear :D

This was the first time I had seen any in person. Pretty cool guns. They also have a brand new Winchester 1895 in .405 Win. for $1500. Gawd I would love that rifle…
Anyway, as I moved down the display area two guys walked up to to the lever gun case. A guy in his late 40’s and a guy in his 20’s. Father and son. They were looking and talking and I really wasn’t paying attention until I heard the young guy say “I like that X model so much. I wish I would have gotten the other one first.”

Dad “The .357?”

Kid “Yeah.” - I have no idea what “the other one” meant, probably a different cartridge chambering. 
Kid “Dad, what do you think about these Rossi’s?”

Dad “I don’t know much about them. (So & so) has one and he loves it. Why, do you want a Rossi? You wouldn’t want another Henry?”

Kid “Maybe…Hey, look at the wood on this one. It looks great.”

I looked over. He was ogling a stainless Rossi.

Kid “I wish that stock was on that gun.”

He was pointing at another Rossi, not sure which one. 

I moved away more toward the DA revolvers so I didn’t hear any more of the conversation. I actually forgot about this until today looking over this thread. 

Seems to me these evil black Tacticool lever guns just might be a stepping stone drug….

Well, as to why...a lever action is far less ammunition-dependent for proper functioning than a semi. Put a good suppressor on it and feed it some 158 grain cast bullet loads and it would be movie-silencer-quiet and still pack a heck of a punch at close range. A Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST 124 grain +P would outperform most 357 magnum loads fired from a handgun. Detachable mags mean it is quick and easy to change between ammunition types depending on the mission at hand, and reloads would be far more rapid than with a tubular mag. Ammo is cheap, compact, light, and the standard of all major militaries, so it makes a good "merde hits the ventilateur" firearm.

Ugly and expensive it may be, but far from pointless or useless.

Period appropriate clothing and tack would have been appreciated.....just saying.  Does the upgrade come with a cup holder and spinner hubcaps?

Someone on another forum pointed out that the Magpul stock mounted on this gun is for a Remington 870 shotgun. Which means one could put a wood stock on it. Though I sm sure the lever would then be at the wrong angle. 

21 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Did anyone notice in the video Pat posted the stock is for an 870. you could put 870 walnut stock on it.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Someone on another forum pointed out that the Magpul stock mounted on this gun is for a Remington 870 shotgun. Which means one could put a wood stock on it. Though I sm sure the lever would then be at the wrong angle. 

Someone on this thread pointed out that the stock was for an 870.

But then, in the video he mentioned that the stock is for a Remington 870.

I... Well I... Uhmmmm... It's... Uhmmmm.... Different... And... Uhhhhh... If someone wants to spend their hard earned money on one... And, Uh... It gets them out and shooting... Good... I guess...

But I'll pass.

If they were more affordable and used a more common magazine they could be fun for a "old school" PCC match. Use a lever gun instead of semi-auto. Could be a fun side match.

I did laugh out loud when they said "oversized lever loop for easy actuation"  as a positive feature.

1.   It's probably not SASS Legal, as it doesn't have a tubular magazine.  :)   That being said, if somebody showed up with one, especially if the there was a loose, "steampunk" theme to the match, I'd not object.

2.  If it was in .45 ACP, I'd by much more interested.  In that caliber, it should use either extended 1911, or perhaps Thompson magazines.

3.  No bayonet lug?  It should have one!   Preferably for an M1/1903 Springfield, or perhaps the M1917 one that the 97 Trenchgun used.   But we'd probably have to go with/get the same bayonets that are for the M-16.   Seriously, why no bayonet lug?

Archived