SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Aid help needed

Dusty Devil Dale

My wife has severe hearing loss.   She bought a $3500 set of Re-sound hearing aids about a year ago.  They gave her nearly perfect hearing until literally 3 days after the 6 month warranty expired, when they abruptly quit communicating with the company's adjustment App on her Android Phone.   All of the blue-tooth functions, including telephone connection, are now completely dysfunctional. 

So they won't adjust from her phone, nor do they stay at the amplification she sets by pressing buttons on the ear-pieces themselves.  The devices   suddenly amplify themselves beyond what she can tolerate,  or they go completely dead. 

But in the 5% of time when they communicate correctly with the App (which is randomly unpredictable) she hears wonderfully.  So the issue is in the devices, not in her hearing.

We've been back to the vendor (COSTCO) multiple times. Working with the Re-sound Reps via telephone, they are unable to fix the blue-tooth problems.  They just tell us they are working normally.

We're at the point of throwing away the expensive junk and looking for another product that actually works as advertised.  

Does anyone out there have hearing aids that you are pleased with?  --- ones that actually function properly with the company's  Android-operative App?  

I'd be very interested in seeing the pros and cons of different brands.  

(I posted this problem about 6 months ago, but now that we've given up on her existing devices and are actively shopping, I cannot find the old thread.) 

DDD

&,

I have Phonak rechargeable hearing aids.  They work great, but I perspire heavily. If I remember to remove them  before I start sweating no proble. If I soak them they develop problems.

Rechargeable sounds like a good idea, but if your schedule gets messed up, or you have a power failure and your hearing is bad, you are toast.  I much prefer batteries.  At worst, if you do go with rechargeable, make sure you have a working set that takes batteries and enough spares. Recently got TrueHearing and they are excellent.

41 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Rechargeable sounds like a good idea, but it your schedule gets messed up, or you have a power failure and your hearing is bad, you are toast.  I much prefer batteries.  At worst, if you do go with rechargeable, make sure you have a working set that takes batteries and enough spares. Recently got TrueHearing and they are excellent.

Battery powered Phonaks are available. I am on Mesthenon, which causes excessive sweating, which kills the air activated batteries as fast as I can change the. 

Paid 2x that price for my ReSounds thru dealer.  Had 15 replacements in 18 months.  Argued enough ended up with over 4 years warranty.   The app IS the weak point as Sedalia Dave suggests. Learned to reboot every week when changing batteries.   Told them had a sweating problem before I bought but was told "not a problem"  After they finally died I went to Costco and bought the Kirkland 10.0 rechargeable .   No more humidity problems but still having connection problems with I Phone they have been working on with Phonak (the maker)  and making improvements.   As far as battery life bthey will run 18hrs on a charge give or take depending on how much I use my phone.  While camping or being away from home I use my home charger on a cheap rechargeable battery pack.    Biggest thing is to find someone you can work with.  Costco has been pretty good but the wait up here was 4 months to get appointment for hearing test .  They do not accept anyone elses exam.       Good Luck    GW

I'm of no help. Have the Phoenix rechargeable.  My only experience.  My high frequency is completely gone.  Mid-range, some in left ear, almost none in right.  The aids only go so far.  Helps but most irritating.  Some sounds just make my ears explode,  like dishes clanking,  Mary sneezing, kid's voices, high pitched music,  fiddles, etc.  They are customizable and have modes. But I've settled on leaving them on the default setting.  They stream well from my android pad.  I call them my $3,000 ear buds.  The charge will last all day. Recharge overnight.  In emergency,  they will have a couple hours life after some 15 minutes of charge.   Not been a problem except for a couple of times (in 5 years) I didn't get one in charger right and was still dead next morning.  

Just got Beltones a week ago tomorrow.  They work well so far, but I have three sessions yet to make adjustments and set up the bluetooth stuff. Those are once a week starting this coming Friday.

I am learning about them, some by trial and error and more by reading the operating manual.

My biggest problem so far is that my periferal neuropathy makes putting them in and taking them out a job to be done in front of a mirror.

We’ll see, further on up the road…

Wife has the Evolv from Starkey.  They are custom molded like the earplugs many of us use for shooting. She got them through her audiologist.  Warranty is 5 years I think.  We'll send them back at 4 for new rechargeable batteries.  They work very well and she's quite happy with them.  She lost her "selective hearing" excuse with me though. 

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

On mine i have a little white circle that needs replacing, sometimes.

When they get wax in them.

If she has something like that in the peace that goes in her ear.

Try changing them out.

They will not give you a heads up. You will hear fine, then you won't.

Replace them hear fine.

The FDA issued rules recently allowing consumers to buy hearing aids direct without need for an exam or prescription.  With modern electronics you can buy hearing aids, do a hearing test on your phone, tune the hearing aids with your phone and make changes in the future.  The prices are going to come down quite a bit in the next few months as the new rules go into effect.

I wore VA supplied ReSound's for 4 years and as previously stated....reprogram by deleting the AP and reloading it. I just got new hearing aids and they are oticons. Only had them a month and so far I like them. Dirt and sweat (along with any moisture) are your worst enemies with any hearing aids. Luckily the VA takes care of all my hearing needs. 

Archived