SASS Wire Forum

Clint Eastwood

Utah Bob #35998

Giving a firearms safety class on the set of Rawhide. 

58CDAD15-4197-4C41-8B85-601A66755992.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Now….

Imagine a similar photo only with Alec Baldwin…

Are you clicking the laughing smiley icon now?

The difference, most likely, is that Clint's gun is empty.

Must be a firearms safety class on what NOT to do. 

Unlike Baldwin's false claims, the gun is at full cock and finger in trigger guard. I guess this was an attempt at humor. Say what you will, but I consider this to be unsafe gun handling which I don't find humorous.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The difference, most likely, is that Clint's gun is empty.

You’re making my point for me.
The difference is it’s Clint Eastwood, who obviously gets a pass on stupid freakin’ gun handling. 

843358669_RayChapmanEldenCarlThellReedJeffCooperJackWeaver.jpg.cba0c91a453948531e5b5b90c29e3d5e.jpg

Ray Chapman, Elden Carl, Thell Reed, Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver

This picture is from sometime in the '60s, maybe early '70s. And it is obviously posed. But notice - all of these expert pistol shooters have got their guns pointed at the cameraman. And they all have their fingers on the trigger - because that's the way you did it back then. If you pointed a gun you had your finger on the trigger.

Now that picture shows up every 2 or 3 years on the Smith & Wesson board. And people go completely crazy. "oh my God they're pointing it at the cameraman" "oh my God they've got their fingers on the trigger"

It's posed. The guns are empty. They're not going to shoot somebody. But people freak out anyway.

That picture of Clint is "bad gun handling". How about all the times in his movies when he pointed the gun at someone and pulled the trigger? Isn't that bad gun handling? Isn't that dangerous?

We obviously need to do away with all shows that have guns in them, because people point guns at other people in these shows, and that's dangerous and bad and wrong.

Oh, and if you're like I was, and saw "Elden Carl" and thought "who?"

https://www.eldencarl.com/

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That picture of Clint is "bad gun handling". How about all the times in his movies when he pointed the gun at someone and pulled the trigger? Isn't that bad gun handling? Isn't that dangerous?

So to justify your earlier post you come up with this? :lol:

Gimme a break. 
That photo of Clint is stupid and his actions in the photo are stupid. It’s not about everything else under the sun. 

BTW, back then and before there were things called tripods and self timers to take exposures on film cameras.  There were even long cable releases.  Until you can show me a photo with the photographer in the foreground and them in the background, the jury is out.

This is starting to remind me of the Bond Derringer cartoon ad where people started complaining it displayed unsafe gun handling because it is not safe to shoot over water.  That photo was 60 years ago.  Different time, different era.  Back then I brought an 1860 Army to school for show and tell.

images.jpeg.93fda55d056befe24f5164e82af43b6c.jpeg

Seriously? Are you all serious? Well, I guess I was right. If it’s “your guy” doing something stupid it’s a-okay! Right?

32 minutes ago, Alpo said:

843358669_RayChapmanEldenCarlThellReedJeffCooperJackWeaver.jpg.cba0c91a453948531e5b5b90c29e3d5e.jpg

This picture is from sometime in the '60s, maybe early '70s. And it is obviously posed. But notice - all of these expert pistol shooters have got their guns pointed at the cameraman. And they all have their fingers on the trigger - because that's the way you did it back then. If you pointed a gun you had your finger on the trigger.

Now that picture shows up every 2 or 3 years on the Smith & Wesson board. And people go completely crazy. "oh my God they're pointing it at the cameraman" "oh my God they've got their fingers on the trigger"

It's posed. The guns are empty. They're not going to shoot somebody. But people freak out anyway.

We obviously need to do away with all shows that have guns in them, because people point guns at other people in these shows, and that's dangerous and bad and wrong.

There were remotely operated cameras during the 50's and 60's also, although I doubt that that was the case on this photo.

I guess really, the acceptance level of unsafe gun handling has been redefined. When I was much younger, I had a different acceptance level of unsafe actions and sense of personal responsibility as was the "social norm" at the time. I won't defend pictures like UB posted or this one with "well that was then, they didn't know better". Clowning around with firearms was as stupid then as it is now and they knew it.

Fifty, sixty years ago were different times, I remember when saying the word n***** was acceptable also. Things change. I look at things with a whole lot different view than I did back then.

19 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I understand Clint kissed a girl in Kindergarten.  I guess that makes him a child predator.  Criminy.

Clint reading his script in 1935...

Gotta ask yourself, did I kiss her 5 or 6 times? In all the excitement, I kinda lost count myself. Gotta ask yourself, do ya feel lucky today? Well do ya, punk?

It's very easy to judge the past by today's standards. 

So many folks do it all the time that it's almost taken for granted that

everything that went before our enlightened present is obviously barbaric and wrong.

Oh well, live and learn.

SC

Of course it’s stupid.

Rawhide ran from. 59-65. 

What else that we now know is stupid was common in 1960? 

Smoking

Drinking a beer while driving

Not wearing a seat belt

I could go on. 

I just got off the phone with Clint.  He said the gun in question was a Mattel Shootin' Shell and that all the Greenie Stick-Um caps were stored before the shoot.  Ruta was wearing a Vibranium skull cap and Alex Baldwin was only two years old so they all felt pretty safe.

21 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I just got off the phone with Clint.  He said the gun in question was a Mattel Shootin' Shell and that all the Greenie Stick-Um caps were stored before the shoot.  Ruta was wearing a Vibranium skull cap and Alex Baldwin was only two years old so they all felt pretty safe.

BTW, it's not completely clear, but the revolver looks to be a Great Western, or a Mattel copy.  :)

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have a similar picture with the old Ottawa Valley Marauders.

I made it using a 35mm Canon FTB. on a tripod. using the timer function.

Currently, we have other shots taken downrange, of Holy Black Shooters, in action. but the shots were made with remotely operated digital technology and remotely operated drones.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I've seen this photo several times.  If you can find a high definition copy of it, you can see the firing pin hole in several of the guns.  Not commenting on safe/unsafe, just a cool detail in the original photo.

Archived