SASS Wire Forum

Final remains

Perro Del Diablo

On 1/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, Perro Del Diablo said:

Had member of our club wanted some his ahses loaded into shotgun shells and sot over skeet fields

My wife and kids were discussing this last week.  I said I want to find someone to load me up and everyone can shoot me off into the blue. Wifey told me to get real.  I actually was trying to think through a business case to do just exactly that.  Send me your ashes and I'll send back shotgun shells with you in them.  Somewhere I got the idea that the ashes amount to around 9 pounds.  That is a lot of ashes and an ounce and an eighth at a time.  I was thinking that $5.00 a round would be about right.  I want to see the look on my insurance agents face when I tell him what I'm going to do.  Then there is the BATF.  I'd have to get a manufacturers license.  More red tape. Not sure it would be worth it.

Prop me up beside the juke box when I'm gone.

Fill my boots up with sand,

Put a stiff drink in my hand.

6 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

My wife and kids were discussing this last week.  I said I want to find someone to load me up and everyone can shoot me off into the blue. Wifey told me to get real.  I actually was trying to think through a business case to do just exactly that.  Send me your ashes and I'll send back shotgun shells with you in them.  Somewhere I got the idea that the ashes amount to around 9 pounds.  That is a lot of ashes and an ounce and an eighth at a time.  I was thinking that $5.00 a round would be about right.  I want to see the look on my insurance agents face when I tell him what I'm going to do.  Then there is the BATF.  I'd have to get a manufacturers license.  More red tape. Not sure it would be worth it.

Prop me up beside the juke box when I'm gone.

Fill my boots up with sand,

Put a stiff drink in my hand.

I wasn't part of the process, other members that reload were given a small portion of his ashes and loaded them in the shells.  I'm not sure how much was Carl and how much was lead shot if any. I believe the remaining ashes were spread at a family property. So the shells were not comercial loads but hand loads by friends. 

I suppose ultimately in my case it's a matter of temperament, but I value some measure of tradition and dignity in the question of remains. 

But as in everything else these days, much tradition is out the window. Nowadays, there are many places and venues which are forbidding the scattering of ash remains, as unmoored and perfervid imaginations increasingly know no bounds on the subject.

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Somewhere I got the idea that the ashes amount to around 9 pounds.  That is a lot of ashes and an ounce and an eighth at a time.

A 12 gauge shell loaded with lead has a 1 and 1/8 oz payload. A 12 gauge shell loaded with ash? No where near that heavy.

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My daughter has informed me that when I get old(er) and decrepit, she is going to dump me in the desert!:blink:

"We went camping in the desert and the heat got to him; he was old and frail but he insisted on going."

3 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

My daughter has informed me that when I get old(er) and decrepit, she is going to dump me in the desert!:blink:

Here in our North, some old timers just climb on board an ice flow at spring break up..

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Here in our North, some old timers just climb on board an ice flow at spring break up..

One of the great Jack London stories, The Law of Life, deals with the subject. This time Old Koskoosh can't go with the tribe as they break camp and move in search of new hunting grounds. They leave him a fire and some wood and he reflects on his life.

A favorite story of mine.

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

A 12 gauge shell loaded with lead has a 1 and 1/8 oz payload. A 12 gauge shell loaded with ash? No where near that heavy.

I figured that.  Put in an ounce load of lead and sprinkle in as much ash as it takes to fill the cup.  Maybe use a 1 1/4 ounce cup.  Fun to think about since it ain't gonna happen. Stuff to ponder as you (or I) spend countless hours driving down the highway.   I see some cowboys or cowgirls shoot loads that have powdered chalk, sparkly stuff and feathers in their loads.  I'll just use ashes.

I recall a Bones episode that had something to do with ashes in the ammunition. But it was rifle ammo, not a shot shell, and it seems like they put the ashes in with the powder.

Archived