SASS Wire Forum

Final remains

Perro Del Diablo

New York is looking to be the 6th state to allow human body composting.  I have no problem with it. As for my remains I don't care what method is used to dispose of my body. It will have no bearing on who I was, who I am, or who I will ever be. For those that have wishes for your final rest I believe in honoring them. 

When they do human body composting, do they run you through a wood chipper?

Composting works a whole lot better if your material is in little bitty pieces.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

When they do human body composting, do they run you through a wood chipper?

Composting works a whole lot better if your material is in little bitty pieces.

Not sure but have seen in reports other states basically just put body in the woods and let decay.

12 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Personally, I would prefer cremation, with at least some of the ashes launched into space on some rocket. 

Had member of our club wanted some his ahses loaded into shotgun shells and sot over skeet fields

6 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Had member of our club wanted some his ahses loaded into shotgun shells and sot over skeet fields

Ellie & I wish basically the same, to have some of our ashes put into shot shells and shot down range b4 a match.

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Not sure but have seen in reports other states basically just put body in the woods and let decay.

Here in Florida they got something they call "natural burial"(?) maybe? Memory gets bad as I get older. No embalming. They put you in a sack, or maybe a flimsy wood coffin, and they bury you in the woods. And they don't bury you very deep.

Might be the same thing.

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

For those that have wishes for your final rest I believe in honoring them. 

In my state, there is a statutory procedure: sign a definite statement before a witness as to how your remains are to be dealt with, and at your death it is legally binding. I suspect that many states have the same thing.

Eliminates fights among survivors over cremation vs. burial, church vs. not, etc. etc.

My friend insisted on a "Natural Burial". Basically they put his unembalmed body in what appeared to be a large, heavy, cloth case, and lowered it into the ground. Standard 6 ft. deep grave. This was in Ohio.

As for me, I want cremation. I see no reason for my moldering corpse to be taking up a piece of perfectly good real estate. Not to mention the cost involved.

My grandmother was adamant that she be put in a coffin in the ground and not cremated.  She associated cremation with burning in hell.

I want to be cremated.  The body is only a vessel and once I'm gone, the vessel is not necessary.

As far as what happens with the ashes, I really don't care.

I also do not want a funeral or celebration of life in my honor.  If people can't visit with me while I'm alive I sure wouldn't want to inconvenience them with my death.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

I also do not want a funeral or celebration of life in my honor.  If people can't visit with me while I'm alive I sure wouldn't want to inconvenience them with my death.

As my daddy used to say, funerals are for the living, not the dead. Funerals in our family  down the generations have been good sendoffs, with a good and generous reception a big part of it.

Cremation is common now, but used to be far outstripped by burial.

There can be religious reasons. For example, in the Eastern Orthodox churches, deliberately choosing cremation disqualifies you from a funeral in church. Incidental, non-chosen cremation (e.g. exigencies in a far place, intermeddling by a relative, etc.) does not.

Cremation is traditional in my family. But my remains will be donated for research in the hope that it may help in some small way.

Interesting, not that I would visit, but a rather famous cemetery on the east coast went bankrupt and is in private ownership.  Three family members buried there and extensive searches haven't uncovered their location or the purchased plots.  If you are into it, an urn in hand may be a happier choice.  

I have 2 sons, I told them it’s totally up to them what to do with my remains. I have no instructions as to what to do. 
One idea is to donate the body to a medical college, when they’re done they’ll cremate the remains and give them to the surviving family or dispose of them. I think that’s a great idea. 

44 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have 2 sons, I told them it’s totally up to them what to do with my remains. I have no instructions as to what to do. 
One idea is to donate the body to a medical college, when they’re done they’ll cremate the remains and give them to the surviving family or dispose of them. I think that’s a great idea. 

It’s funny, my wife and I were talking about this one day and purely by coincidence we were watching CSI that night on Prime and there was an episode where a murderer stowed a body at some forensics research facility where bodies were placed and documented for forensic decomposition studies by some Federal police agency or university (I don’t recall). What struck me funny was a comment (line) made by one of the characters “I’ll bet these folks didn’t know this was what was going to happen to them when they donated their bodies to science.”

My Dad donated his body to science a couple of years prior to his death. When he died we had a very quick bodiless remembrance ceremony at the university hospital and that was it. A few years later my Mom was contacted asking where to deliver his remains for burial. I really do not recall details. At the time I really didn’t care. Not being callous, just being honest. Anyway, my mom and my brother and sisters basically had to go through my dad’s death all over again. They had a funeral at that time. :(

A friend of mine had a sister in college studying to be a physical therapist. To make extra money in school she became a paid lab assistant where they took deceased human bodies and simulated car crashes to study various airbag and restraint systems. I remember him conveying how upset she was that she assisted in strapping dead elderly ladies into simulated cars then crashing the simulator into concrete barriers to analyze the damage to the torsos by the steering wheel and steering column. The last straw fir her was when they asked her to help strap in a lady that looked like their grandma for a crash test. 

I plan to be cremated and dumped under a tree somewhere. At least that’s the plan. I am an organ donor. They can take whatever they need, oven roast me at 1200°, scrape me up, put me in a bag and pour me under a tree to help the tree grow and little varmints can gnaw on my bone fragments for the calcium. The real bonus is I wouldn’t be a nuisance to anyone if there ever really was a zombie apocalypse. Win - Win :D

I told the Missus I would be cremated. She said "I'll schedule you for Friday..."

My wife and I discussed it years ago and I made arrangements for our and our son, (Big Red) to be cremated and interred at out family plot.

I never cared for the thought of my remains being disinterred by some developer to build a condo on the graveyard, 100 years after the last interment, as is apparently the possibility here in Ontario, Canada.

It's bad enough our urns may be dug up.

P.O'd right now because our family monument has had the white marble flower vase decorating it stolen.

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It can be useful to leave instructions. One of us five brothers died unexpectedly at 68 a couple of years ago. He wasn't married at the time, and he did not have children. Somewhat to our surprise, he left short but clear instructions in his will as to what he wanted: a burial, and the place, a particularly beautiful older local cemetary.

It simplified everything, and it got some of us to set up a family plot there, which was an idea we'd kicked around but never done anything about. So from here on out it's going to be simple for the rest of us too.

There are several forests (in process at least) in the UK where people have been interred in pods to become trees.

These are memorial gardens, and some are quite interesting, However:

23e29debd03953ffa5788d4fc83ff984_original-1532250322.jpg

this-bio-degradable-urn-our-zone-turns-your-ashes-intoa-7-37116892-949058488.png

I suppose the process incorporates some of the mostly mineral material left in the ash. "Becoming a tree" or "turn your ashes into a tree" is marketing, of course. 

The vast majority of the mass of a tree comes from the air.

I agree that trees in a cemetary are very nice.

I'm hoping I can just crawl under a log at the cabin and die. Feed the critters. Hell, if a coyote eats me, a deer lives another week.

I took my brother in law up there once. He was so impressed that he asked if his ashes could be spread there.

16 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My wife and I discussed it years ago and I made arrangements for our and our son, (Big Red) to be cremated and interred at out family plot.

I never cared for the thought of my remains being disinterred by some developer to build a condo on the graveyard, 100 years after the last interment, as is apparently the possibility here in Ontario, Canada.

It's bad enough our urns may be dug up.

P.O'd right now because our family monument has had the white marble flower vase decorating it stolen.

Locally, they've been looking for lost graveyards containing black people so they can dig them up and "bury them with dignity". I can't think of many things that would make me more indignant than being dug up by strangers and re-buried somewhere else. This is being done by "do-gooders" who think that they are somehow repaying black folks for a perceived social injustice even though the dead persons identity isn't known and no kin is involved.

Just cremate me and scatter the ashes wherever makes the person scattering them happy with it. Don't want to be buried or become a pod to make a tree. Nothing against trees, I like trees. It's just that I'm sure that some large company would just cut it down anyway to put up a building, make a solar farm or dig me up to repay some perceived injustice.

Oh, before they cremate me, shove an M80 or two down my throat, I'll go out with a bang.:ph34r:

Archived