SASS Wire Forum

APP Load data for 12 gauge.

The Revenuer

I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find it.   What recipe is everyone using to load 12 gauge with APP powder?  I will be using AA hulls and not sure which wad to start with.

Thanks.

I use a square load for my shotgun shells. The square load is equal amount of shot and powder. I use a 1oz shot dipper of powder and same dipper of 7.1/2 shot. For a wad I use the Claybuster 1138-12 wad its red. You may have to adjust your press to get a nice crimp or add some filler on top of the shot. Generally I like to use fiber wads and roll crimp my shells. Hope this helped I am sure there will be plenty of others chiming in on this.

Hochbauer

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I use a square load for my shotgun shells. The square load is equal amount of shot and powder. I use a 1oz shot dipper of powder and same dipper of 7.1/2 shot. For a wad I use the Claybuster 1138-12 wad its red. You may have to adjust your press to get a nice crimp or add some filler on top of the shot. Generally I like to use fiber wads and roll crimp my shells. Hope this helped I am sure there will be plenty of others chiming in on this.

Hochbauer

CB 1138-12 (red) wads have short legs that allow for a generous load of BP.  The red wads you see down range at major matches are probably CB 1138-12 wads.  

The suggested load is roughly equivalent to a standard 1 oz clays load.  You can load lighter and get useful BP shotshells for CAS.  For my wife I load 1 oz of shot in a TGT12 wad and enough powder to make a good crimp.  I use any 209 primer I have on hand (currently Cheddites) and toss the hulls after firing once with a BP sub as the crimps are often damaged by heat.

My Load. These have worked on every shotgun target I have ever encountered as long as I do my part and hit it. 

Remington STS, Nitro, or Top Gun Hulls. ( you can also use RIO, Fichoi, and other Cheddite style hulls.

Primer of choice

Claybuster CB0178-12 wad

35 grains by WEIGHT of 3F APP (3.00 cc)

A little over 7/8 oz of shot. I have an adjustable charge bar and vary the shot load to get a good crimp.

I know you said you are using AA hulls. Because the internal volume is slightly smaller you'll have to adjust the shot charge till you get a good crimp.

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

35 grains by WEIGHT of 3F APP (3.00 cc)

A little over 7/8 oz of shot.

That’s a good load! :) I use a little more powder and shot… simply because it works and gets me a good crimp! I got a drill press and accessories for roll crimping for Christmas! Can’t wait to get it all set up! 

Happy New Year!

Hugs!

Scarlett

I consider this to be on the "light" end of loads for APP 3FG.   This load has been working well for me with both static KD's and flyers.  During the component shortages a few years ago I only had CB1100-12 wads left so I fiddled with the amount of APP until I got a good crimp, turned out to be 2.7cc's.  Not that I am recoil sensitive, but recoil is very mild, about like a Winchester LRLN load.

Using once fired Winchester 12 Gauge AA HS Hull

#8 Shot - (reclaimed)

~7/8 oz of shot- Using a MEC to drop shot with 7/8 oz bar

2.7cc's of 3FG APP as thrown (set at 2.7cc) with a LEE Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure - Bought in bulk from Scarlett!

Claybuster Wad CB1100-12 (WASS12SL) Pink wad

Knocks targets down pretty good as you can see here:

I don’t go anywhere near high tech. I use APP 2F, a 45 colt case as a dipper, a Winchester red wad or clay buster equivalent and enough shot to get a nice crimp. Works on any targets I’ve come up against including poppers and clay birds. 

Archived