SASS Wire Forum

Dairy Queen wisdom…

Last night, driving home from the Gun show in St Charles , Mo, I whipped off the interstate at Okawville, IL. to hit the restroom and get a ice cream cone at Dairy Queen. As I drove up to the store the sign was on and a few lights inside, but no cars at all in the parking lot. I drove thru the lot and looked at the sign for the hours and it showed closing at 9:00 pm, and it was about 7:00 pm. Since it was NYE, I figured they all left to go party. I drove up to the drive thru and it was lit up, said"hello", and did not get an answer. I drove around to the window to look in and this lady appeared at the register and opened the window. I told her I thought it was closed and she said she was mopping and apologized for not get to the window sooner. I told her no big deal and I wanted an Chocolate dipped cone and to use the restroom. She said to drive back around front and she would unlock the door and let me in. She said it had been very slow for the last couple days and they had been closing early as there was not any business this week. I drove around and went in and she had my ice cream ready for me. It was $4.25 for a medium cone and I commented it was quite a bit higher than the DQ at home. She stated they had to raise the prices again as business had been very slow. I thanked her and she locked up behind me. As I drove off, one other car drove up to the drive thru. I am sure she was the only one there and it is tough to run a fast food place alone, but she was getting it done. Since she was right off the interstate, I felt a bit bad for her being alone, however, when I first drove up, there was a sheriff vehicle sitting across the road from the Dairy Queen so I hope they are watching out for her. He was gone when I came back out but I bet he was not far away.

Things are just getting tougher all over.

4 minutes ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Last night, driving home from the Gun show in St Charles , Mo, I whipped off the interstate at Okawville, IL. to hit the restroom and get a ice cream cone at Dairy Queen. As I drove up to the store the sign was on and a few lights inside, but no cars at all in the parking lot. I drove thru the lot and looked at the sign for the hours and it showed closing at 9:00 pm, and it was about 7:00 pm. Since it was NYE, I figured they all left to go party. I drove up to the drive thru and it was lit up, said"hello", and did not get an answer. I drove around to the window to look in and this lady appeared at the register and opened the window. I told her I thought it was closed and she said she was mopping and apologized for not get to the window sooner. I told her no big deal and I wanted an Chocolate dipped cone and to use the restroom. She said to drive back around front and she would unlock the door and let me in. She said it had been very slow for the last couple days and they had been closing early as there was not any business this week. I drove around and went in and she had my ice cream ready for me. It was $4.25 for a medium cone and I commented it was quite a bit higher than the DQ at home. She stated they had to raise the prices again as business had been very slow. I thanked her and she locked up behind me. As I drove off, one other car drove up to the drive thru. I am sure she was the only one there and it is tough to run a fast food place alone, but she was getting it done. Since she was right off the interstate, I felt a bit bad for her being alone, however, when I first drove up, there was a sheriff vehicle sitting across the road from the Dairy Queen so I hope they are watching out for her. He was gone when I came back out but I bet he was not far away.

Thing are just getting tougher all over.

Ya I fell sorry for those people who are not afraid to work, especially on holidays, I always try to something encouraging and to boast there moral if I can

I am still baffled as to why so many businesses are short staffed all over the USA. 
The theory was that people were sitting around waiting for government checks after CoVid, but those gov’t perqs have been over for a while. 

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am still baffled as to why so many businesses are short staffed all over the USA. 
The theory was that people were sitting around waiting for government checks after CoVid, but those gov’t perqs have been over for a while. 

I believe some states have continued the checks and there is still unemployment checks as well.

Maybe it is just what I see, but in general the majority of kids coming out of high school expect to get a job paying $35-$40,000 right off the bat despite not having the skills or motivation to get such a job.  It doesn't help that schools seem to be "teaching" to pass tests, not how to think.

Retail and service jobs (and I've worked both) are low paying and hard work and I'm seeing a lot of adults working these jobs that in the past were done by kids in high school or college.

I think another problem is the minimum wage is $7.50?, maybe, jobs paying minimum wage or maybe a little more still don’t cover basics. Cars are stupid high. Gas is still stupid high. Prices in general are high. Young people are just overwhelmed. They see no benefit to putting in any effort. 
Kind of like when I ran away from home at 17. I literally worked 2 full time jobs at minimum wage and barely eeked out an existence. I joined the Navy at 18 because I was literally starving. 

My autistic and mentally challenged stepson has been in residential care for two years.  Late in October, the company who runs the homes advised us that they would be closing down.  The reason was they could not keep qualified people to operate the homes.  So, the day before Thanksgiving, Brandon came back home to live with us until another residential home is found. A local mental health agency has an empty house just remodeled and ready to move into, but cannot hire enough people to work it.  Until they do, Brandon will be living with us again.  

So, yeah.  The worker shortage is personal with us.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think another problem is the minimum wage is $7.50?, maybe, jobs paying minimum wage or maybe a little more still don’t cover basics.

Minimum wage (like social security) isn’t meant to be a living wage.  Minimum wage is for those with little to no experience. 

12 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Minimum wage (like social security) isn’t meant to be a living wage.  Minimum wage is for those with little to no experience. 

I think you missed my point. INFLATION is stifling people who have a hard time making it normally. It’s not about the actual minimum wage and what it’s for. 

Archived