SASS Wire Forum

When do you call it Midnight on New Year's Eve?

Rip Snorter

Never been much for going out New Year's Eve.  Always felt the amateur drinkers were out in force and driving after Midnight.  Sometimes did an overnight at a fancy local Hotel which boasted a Gourmet French Restaurant and cooking school, but that was living in another state.  Out to a local bar and grill with friends at 5:00, home at 7:30.  Great fun.  Bedtime, 10:00 at the latest.  What about you? 

At daughter and SIL's house watching Ohio State game. Home after game then up at 1am to register for Land Run. 

I am making a concerted effort to make it all the way this year, because I want to kick 2022 in the ass on it’s way out.

I haven't made it to midnight in thirty years. I leave that to my sons and their families.

In my neighborhood the fireworks aren't distant at all - nor is the gunfire.  LOTS of gunfire.

Neither local nor state laws (or common sense, for that matter) carry much weight when it comes to Feliz Año Nuevo....  :(

The good news is, for the first time in years we've had rain - stormed all day - so at least there won't be many fires.

Wife & I went to the Legion Post to watch first half of Michigan/TCU game. Had a couple of beers & popcorn, then home to to fix a dinner of lobster tails. A wonderful evening in contrast to a really crappy first half of 2022. Looking forward to a reset!

Patty is asleep and it’s 6 minutes to go as I write this. Might as well stay up. :rolleyes:

May everyone have an awesome and peaceful 2023!

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I enjoy waking up at midnight to the banging pans in the neighborhood, and often some distant fireworks. It's pleasant to contemplate the New Year at that moment, then cozyly drift back to sleep.

Around here, it's a virtual war zone.  every year there are more bullets in the air at one time  than in my safes.  Stupid people with zero understanding what they're doing.  

I fell asleep watching For a few dollars more. I woke up at 12:01! Ha ha Happy New Year!:lol:

Read some EE "Doc" Smith on the Kindle, had a couple of glasses of a nice Indian single malt and was asleep before 11pm.

Now I'm off to shoot some bowling pins and maybe some skeet at the club that hosts our cowboy matches.

Watched the College Championship Semifinals and then the final two minutes of the Nashville “Note Drop”, turned off the TV and was asleep in less than five minutes!! :lol:

Well, the usual plans followed, bed around ten, failed.  The pup whined and warbled and fussed with the other dogs enough that we made it well past midnight. Probably growing pains.  No plans for today till dinner prep, so naps in order.  Happy New Year!  

I fully expected fireworks last night, but there were none. My wife and I went to bed around 11:00. 
The reason I expected fireworks was the night before someone washed launching bottle rockets and lighting firecrackers. I also noticed Sam’s Club had mortars and other fireworks for sale. Last night was quiet. Nice!

We are on Mountain time, but because we are old, we celebrate New Years on Eastern time.  We are at the age where 9pm is the new midnight.

In bed by 2210, I think my Kindle slipped from my hand at about 2220. Heard about a half dozen, a dozen at most,  booms from fireworks around midnight.  

Shoulder was bothering me, enough that I got up about 0130 for half an hour.  Woke up for the day about 0600.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

We are on Mountain time, but because we are old, we celebrate New Years on Eastern time.  We are at the age where 9pm is the new midnight.

Never thought of using the time zone - clever idea!  Now if I based it on Australia...

Archived