SASS Wire Forum

Do You Have a Traditional New Year's Meal?

Cypress Sun

I do, been doing it for as long as I can remember. It's nothing special, just your typical Southern New Year's dinner. Ham, black eyed peas w/salt pork, collard greens with/salt pork, rice, cornbread and pan-fried hog jowls. Heap the desired serving on your plate, mix the black eyed peas/juice with the rice, sop it up with the cornbread and dine away. It's supposed to be for luck, I guess. I cook it up because it tastes good and if it brings some luck, that's even better!

Do you do a special meal for New Year's? If so, is it a family tradition or a tradition of your own making? 

Interesting flashback, thanks! The son of a wealthy family and college official where I got my diploma was a friend, so I got a dinner invitation to his parents home.  Can't recall if it was a holiday.  They had a smart, feisty black woman as cook and maid of all work.  She set a nearly identical dinner to the one you describe muttering darkly about why we would have that when we could have anything.  Different perceptions!

basically this - every year as long as I remember myself and no matter what country we lived

https://www.chefspencil.com/christmas-new-year-foods-in-russia/#:~:text=Olivier (Russian Salad)&text=Usually%2C the Olivier salad is,throughout the entire holiday season.

tomorrow night  - #1, #4, #6, #9, #10 will be appetizers :)

Traditionally on New Years Eve we have corned beef and cabbage with potatoes. We are changing it up this year. Tomorrow I am smoking a chuck roast and we’ll have coleslaw, potato salad and Italian bread with the roast. 

Nope.  Never had one, even growing up.  Neither NY Eve nor NY Day.  If my folks hosted a NY Eve party we ate leftovers the next day.  

Over the years my wife and I do less and less for holidays.  Except for Easter.  Then I make something special for breakfast.

Start the day with coffee. Other than that, nothing special.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I forgot to mention that the corned beef and cabbage tradition was something both my wife’s and my parents did,  coincidentally. 

Well since you are in west Virginia now this quote works (Just a joke refer to my above statement ) 

That happens when you marry your sister :)

Nope. Having pasta tonight. Maybe that’s traditional in Italy. :rolleyes:

Beans on New Year's Day for luck.

First Breakfast - Oatmeal (dr Orders)

2nd Breakfast - Sardines and Finn crisp (Wasa type hard rye bread). Sardines are good for any meal anytime.

Late lunch - BBQ Ribs (oriental and Tex/Mex sauces), baked potato, corn.

When Mom was alive it would be potatoes, boiled beef and cabbage that was from yesterday, formed into patties and fried (bubble and squeak she called it). 

We might have had Egg butter on Finn Crisp for breakfast)

STL Suomi

On 12/30/2022 at 9:16 PM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Pork & sauerkraut if you want good luck

That's a big tradition for us from PA too.  

My dad would add "Don't eat chicken on New Year's or you'll be scratching for a living the whole year."

6 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

First Breakfast - Oatmeal (dr Orders)

2nd Breakfast - Sardines and Finn crisp (Wasa type hard rye bread). Sardines are good for any meal anytime.

Late lunch - BBQ Ribs (oriental and Tex/Mex sauces), baked potato, corn.

When Mom was alive it would be potatoes, boiled beef and cabbage that was from yesterday, formed into patties and fried (bubble and squeak she called it). 

We might have had Egg butter on Finn Crisp for breakfast)

STL Suomi

......... is that allowed ?  :huh:

We are going to continue the NYD dinner until Tuesday. The collards, black eyes and cornbread will be done by then. Then, some of the ham will become a ham/cheese/penne pasta casserole and then a scalloped potato w/ham meal...if it lasts that long.

On 1/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

This year, today was "full liquids" only, and two doses of Miralax, followed a gallon of GoLYTELY tomorrow... yep, it's that time again. :ph34r:

I just couldn't figure out what emoji to use for this one...

For as long as I can remember, we have done take out from a local Chinese restaurant. When I went in on Sunday, there was a new young man working at the cash register. I looked back to where all the cooking takes place after he asked if there was anything else, but everyone was occupied. I smiled and said, "I would say to tell them hello, but everyone seems busy." He turned and called out to the lady who runs the restaurant and she looked up. When she saw me she smiled and came up and asked how I was, how Christmas was and everything. When she saw the amount of food I had, she looked and asked "Your kids not home?" I shook my head and told her it was just me and Mrs. Doc. She seemed slightly upset and asked if they came home for Christmas. When I told her they had she smiled and looked at the young man, telling him we had been coming there since my kids were... And held her hand down below waist height. He asked how tall were they now and held his hand over his head, and I laughed and said they're my daughters, but they're in their mid-twenties, so it's been awhile.

Anyway, I had General Tso's Chicken, sauteed string beans, and a vegetable spring roll. Pretty much my usual for New Year's Day.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I just couldn't figure out what emoji to use for this one...

:lol: The procedure was this morning, and the doc said everything's good. :) So... my first meal of the year was black coffee, a small cup of cream of broccoli soup and a small deli half-sandwich for lunch, roast beef. Best dang meal I've had in years. ;)

We used to do a glazed ham with clove sauce, escalloped potatoes, peas, carrots, corn, mincemeat pie.

This year, it was Chinese Food with my SIL and her husband and a few tears.

I miss my girl.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We used to do a glazed ham with clove sauce, escalloped potatoes, peas, carrots, corn, mincemeat pie.

This year, it was Chinese Food with my SIL and her husband and a few tears.

I miss my girl.

:(

Archived