SASS Wire Forum

The Quest for 50-70 Gov't Brass: A True Story

La Sombra

Dang this hobby is expensive, interesting and fun!

So right after Thanksgiving, I acquired 2 rifles in 50-70 Gov't. The first rifle was a 1868 Springfield Trapdoor 2nd Allin conversion and the other was a 1871 Remington Rolling block New York State Militia rifle. Both rifles were in good shape with minimal handling marks, solid rifling and good bores.

Now off to find 50-70 reloading components. Black Powder, check. Primers, check. Bullets and brass, no bueno. Found some bullets (usually not an issue). Brass.... Starline, Grafs, Midway, Brownells, Dixie Gun, and other stateside sources, none. Oversea sources, got it. But with the exception of our Aussie cousins, none ship here (Thanks Customs). Australia shipping was going to as expensive as the brass which wasn't cheap. I did place an order for 50-70 from Starline on backorder to be made sometime this century (not their fault, business). What will I do......Gunbroker! It has everything.

The 4 auctions that I was watching/bidding on for 50 pieces of Dixie Gun brass ended with the brass selling for over $6 per round. No way I was going to pay that.

Without consulting with my handy friends, I bought some 50-110 brass from Dixie Gun. My plan was to cut it to 50-70 lengths, and load it. Did just that.  Sent the guns out to be examined by a competent gunsmith with some of the cut down load 50-110 brass. I get a call from the gunsmith telling me that the rim on the 50-110 is smaller than the rim on the 50-70 (he had a dummy round to test) and would not engage the extractor on the Rolling Block. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

This time I consulted with @Sedalia Davewho is on a 50 Cadet trek to get answers. Dave was gentle when he virtually slapped me for the 50-110 fiasco. He also has an order in at Starline. He did suggest that I look at 50-90 Sharps. So off on another chase. After a reasonable exhaustive search, I found some. Order 10 cases (pieces of brass) to experiment.

Specifications for 50-70

Case type Rimmed, straight
Bullet diameter .515 in (13.1 mm)
Neck diameter .535 in (13.6 mm)
Base diameter .565 in (14.4 mm)
Rim diameter .660 in (16.8 mm)
Rim thickness .065 in (1.7 mm)
Case length 1.75 in (44 mm)
Overall length 2.25 in (57 mm)
Primer type Large rifle

Specifications for 50-90 Sharps

Parent case .50 Basic
Case type Rimmed, straight-taper
Bullet diameter .512 in (13.0 mm)
Neck diameter .528 in (13.4 mm)
Shoulder diameter .528 in (13.4 mm)
Base diameter .585 in (14.9 mm)
Rim diameter .663 in (16.8 mm)
Case length 2.50 in (64 mm)
Overall length 3.20 in (81 mm)
Primer type

Large rifle

Note that the two measurements that we really care about are Rim Diameter and Base Diameter. The difference between Rim Diameter is negligible, 3/1000th of an inch. The Base Diameter is potentially more problematic with a 2/100th difference. Also note the Parent Case for the 50-90 is the 50 Basic. In checking the Handloader's Manual to Cartridge Conversions , the 50 Basic is listed as the parent cartridge to 50-70. This has potential of working!

So the plan then became to trim the 50-90 brass to approximately 1.73 inches, cleanup the trimmed neck, lube the brass and resize the cut brass in a 50-70 full length sizing die. The resized brass was measured between 1.735 and 1.74 inches in length. The next step was to test the rifles with the dummy round for extraction. The rounds extracted successfully.

The 50-90 Sharps brass was not cheap. However it was significantly less than $6 per case for the auctioned 50-70 cases on Gunbroker. Since I enjoy the hunt and the chase, I had an outstanding learning experience. (and I ordered 25 more cases so I can go shooting.)

Since any job worth doing requires at least one new tool, I acquired a Lyman Accutrimmer with the drill attachment. The use of a shell holder instead of the locking mechanism on the Lyman Universal Trimmer was a bonus. I do not believe that the locking mechanism will work with the base size either. You will also need to get the 50/50A pilot for the trimmer.

Hope that this information helps those that are starving for some 50-70 Gov't brass. I am also sorry that this solution impacts the 50-90 Sharps community.

La Sombra

You should have at least posted you were looking for some 50-70 brass to use with your new rifles.  Some folks just might have had a few they would have sold you until Starline makes some more.  I have done that in the past when I had a stash of a particular type of brass someone was looking for.

13 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

You should have at least posted you were looking for some 50-70 brass to use with your new rifles.  Some folks just might have had a few they would have sold you until Starline makes some more.  I have done that in the past when I had a stash of a particular type of brass someone was looking for.

I did post a WTB ad. Got zero responses except “Me too”.

La Sombra

Sorry I do not look at the classified section anymore so if that is where you posted the WTB that is most likley why I did not see it.

8 minutes ago, La Sombra said:

I did post a WTB ad. Got zero responses except “Me too”.

La Sombra

Thanks for sharing the data Compadre, I very informative!  Bring those beauties to the next Gunfight at Gamble Gulch!…but I’m with @Abilene, SASS # 27489…  no brass, no deal ;) cuz im not half as handy with a caliper as you are!…. in fact…45-70 packs enough of a shoulder wallop for me!… so I’m out of the 50/70 business:blink:

Easily half the reason I’m in this hobby is coming up with means to produce the rounds for the weapons I acquire. Sometimes the components are found through purchase or barter. Sometimes I find them through the kindness of those here on the wire. I’ll leave it to you to guess which are more rewarding. ;)

10 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I don’t have anything to add to this other than to say if it weren’t for @La Sombra, and @Sedalia Dave  I’d have a lot more fun money in my pocket :lol:

524952698_TipoftheHat.png.8a8e5f4602301d3453e03448de8260cc.png

Your Welcome. :)

Besides if it was in your pocket you wouldn't be having any fun with it. ;) :P

I need no advice or suggestions as to how my reserve cash is spent. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

La Sombra

• 1 month later...

Archived