SASS Wire Forum

Do you lock the doors?

Alpo

Dick Francis book. There's a party, and everybody's cars are parked up on this flat spot at the top of a slope. There's a horse van. And it rolled down the slope. 10 dead people.

The guy that owned the van insisted that he has left it in gear and is left the brake on. The woman that owned the place where the party was asked the wife of the owner of the van if her husband had locked the door. And she got all upset and said "you don't lock the doors at a friend's house!"

In case you're interested, a little kid was messing around and climbed up in the van and was pushing levers and managed to knock it in neutral and take the brake off, and that's what caused it. Oh well.

But I read that statement - you don't lock the doors at a friend's house. I do.

Doesn't matter where I'm at. I get out of the truck and I lock the doors.

So you've gone over to your buddy's house. Would you leave your car unlocked while you were inside the house seeing your friend?

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I wouldn't, and back when they had real keys, I'd leave them on the seat just so I would have to listen to the annoying beeper thingy.

I always lock the doors for the reason given in the story.  Little kids mess with things and cause accidents.   So do big kids.

And a stranger passing by might be tempted to do a snatch and run.

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I lock my vehicle doors at all times. Doesn't matter where I park, including my own closed garage.

Me too!! 

I guess it depends where I'm at if I do or don't. Anywhere public yes, most other places also. My sons house or my daughters, my house, probably not. Sometimes but not always. 

I always lock the doors, even if it's in the garage.

Too many smart crooks with garage door opening technology and I want to slow them down and make it harder for them.

I always lock my truck and car doors no matter where I am. As soon as I exit the doors are locked unless I am getting groceries or other things out. 

I also lock my house doors at all times unless going in or out. 

I lock my doors in my own yard, why wouldn't I lock them when I'm at your house?

That being said, I never have locked the truck up when I was camped out at a SASS match.  The camping area is packed full of SASS members with at least 4 guns each.  Nobody in their right mind is gonna go screwing around with somebody's ride there. 

I rarely lock it at the range (since all the expensive stuff is on the table with me) and have been known to leave the windows down, too.

I shoot within line of sight of the parking area and keep an eye out.  There again, it's someplace where all the people are armed, so who would be dumb enough to go crawling into a stranger's vehicle?

16 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I lock my doors in my own yard, why wouldn't I lock them when I'm at your house?

That being said, I never have locked the truck up when I was camped out at a SASS match.  The camping area is packed full of SASS members with at least 4 guns each.  Nobody in their right mind is gonna go screwing around with somebody's ride there. 

I rarely lock it at the range (since all the expensive stuff is on the table with me) and have been known to leave the windows down, too.

I shoot within line of sight of the parking area and keep an eye out.  There again, it's someplace where all the people are armed, so who would be dumb enough to go crawling into a stranger's vehicle?

More than once I've been at matches that someone had something stolen out of their vehicle. It's happened once at a monthly match and several times at State or above matches. One year at a Florida State match in Orlando, the match director had 2 pistols stolen out of his truck that was parked in front of the office trailer. Larger matches are generally well advertised and therefore attract spectators. Not all spectators are there to watch the match, some are thieves. I lock my vehicle, no matter where it is...period. I paid too much money to have to have my possessions stolen because I didn't push the lock button.

Oh, don't think for a second that there aren't any dishonest people in SASS/CAS, there is. Sad but true, there are dishonest people and thieves in all walks of life.

Howdy,

Habits are habits.

I lock any car all the time.

If you just eliminate the idea of leaving a car unlocked its one less

decision per stop.  Could be ten decisions a day.

I never have to wonder if I remembered to lock.

Both cars are locked. one in the garage one in the driveway.

I have better things to wonder about.

Best

CR

I guess there is one place I leave it unlocked.....at the mechanic shop.

If I'm out of my vehicles, the doors are locked and the keys are secure.  No matter the location. And I don't leave guns in an unattended vehicle.  There are other valuable items, but never guns.  

Man oh man you guys are going to yell at me. For about 15 years because I was live in the country behind locked gates, working in construction and shoeing horses I don't think I ever took the keys out of the ignition. Unfortunately I knew too many thieves  and how they worked. There was this one guy who was getting real nosey about where i lived. Told him if he came snooping around we had a backhoe that went down to 15 foot and I would shoot his f@#%!(=  a$$ then bury his dead a$$ 15 foot down. Surprising he never would come around me anymore

33 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Man oh man you guys are going to yell at me. For about 15 years because I was live in the country behind locked gates, working in construction and shoeing horses I don't think I ever took the keys out of the ignition. Unfortunately I knew too many thieves  and how they worked. There was this one guy who was getting real nosey about where i lived. Told him if he came snooping around we had a backhoe that went down to 15 foot and I would shoot his f@#%!(=  a$$ then bury his dead a$$ 15 foot down. Surprising he never would come around me anymore

Dad had a rule that we had to leave keys in all vehicles parked on his place.  Tractors, trucks and cars.  My brother forgot once, and dad hooked a chain and tractor to my brother's truck and drug it out of the way.  Of course, that was the 1970s, and we lived a mile off the main road.  As soon as I got married and moved nearer to town, my first landlord warned me against leaving anything unsecured, as they had seen lots of car burglaries and at least one car stolen.  I haven't left a vehicle unlocked since.

Pretty easy to lock and unlock a modern car with the fob.

I always lock it for the simple reason that I have stuff in there that would be easy to steal. Not super valuables, but targets and ammo, cold weather clothing and gear, various miscellaneous tools, flashlights, and such. Adds up to a fair amount of stuff when you think about it.

Around here not only do folks not lock their doors they leave their car running at the post office and convenience store.

I grew up in Miami. I always lock.

My Camaro automatically locks when I get out. It spoils me by also automatically turning the lights on or off depending on how light or dark it is. It turns on heat or AC as needed to keep the temperature at 73. It even emails me status updates like time to change your oil or low air pressure.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Around here not only do folks not lock their doors they leave their car running at the post office and convenience store.

I grew up in Miami. I always lock.

Ya but those 6 cows in town don't know how to drive:P

I used to leave the engine running, because starting it with a crank was a hassle. Nowadays, I find that turning it off and taking the keys with me doesn't actually slow things down at all.

The question I'd have: why would you leave it running? Time's a wastin' ? Quick getaway?

On 12/30/2022 at 4:49 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I always lock the doors, even if it's in the garage.

Too many smart crooks with garage door opening technology and I want to slow them down and make it harder for them.

Garage door opening technology is a dollar now unless you have built a shield.

Always lock the doors in town with criminals, kids, dementia.  Will leave it unlocked on the farm without a firearm.

My BIL lives in Montreal and would like to never lock his car, but when he doesn't, the By-law officers ticket him.

When he does lock it, the druggies and other petty thieves smash the windows to grab whatever they can. If they figure it isn't enough, they'll trash the interior or defecate on the seats.

My garage door has some holes in the track - slip a carabiner or a bolt and wing nut through and you are good.  You can also just unplug or pull the disconnect cord.  Won't stop them, if they really want in, but they can't just cruise and push the button and see your door go up.

On 12/30/2022 at 4:52 PM, Cypress Sun said:

I lock my vehicle doors at all times. Doesn't matter where I park, including my own closed garage.

Same here ...

MS

Yes, please do.

They have a law in Montreal that you have to lock your car doors?

How would the car door police know? They walk down the street trying the doors of all cars they pass to see if they opened?

Howdy,

One morning i came out to find my car door lock smashed and my

Alpine stereo gone.

It took weeks or maybe months to get the insurance co to give me

anywhere near decent money for repairs.  I filed all the needed paper

that very day.   

All the time my door was unlocked and the hole where the stereo was

I had no indication anyone even touched my car.

It crossed my mind to install a new stereo somewhere else and leave the ugly hole.

Ins co treated me like I was the criminal.

After that I got a different insurance co.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Would you please explain that?

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yes, please do.

They have a law in Montreal that you have to lock your car doors?

How would the car door police know? They walk down the street trying the doors of all cars they pass to see if they opened?

The City of Montreal and most other cities here have municipal by-laws, enforced by municipal By-law Enforcement Officers, as opposed to sworn Police officers.

These By-Law officers write parking tickets, enforce building codes, Taxis, sign codes, overgrown grass on private property etc.

And yes, if you don't lock you car doors when your vehicle is parked and unattended, you can get a ticket. Yes, by-law officers will physically try the car doors.

1 minute ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The City of Montreal and most other cities here have municipal by-laws, enforced by municipal By-law Enforcement Officers, as opposed to sworn Police officers.

These By-Law officers write parking tickets, enforce building codes, Taxis, sign codes, overgrown grass on private property etc.

And yes, if you don't lock you car doors when your vehicle is parked and unattended, you can get a ticket. Yes, by-law officers will physically try the car doors.

Good Lord!

yes , i lock the doors everywhere , i can give a litany of reasons but i know you all can come up with a good one on your own , 

my wife does not and she has had her car robbed twice - once at her work and once at home - no splainin that thinking 

Archived