SASS Wire Forum

Primer accidentally going off...

Matthew Duncan

I'll bet that was exciting! Was anybody killed?

Officer second to my right drop a 38 special during firearm qulaifications.  Round fell onto the blacktop runway and went off.  Officer first on my right got a minor bleeder on his cheek from the brass shrapnel.  After the incident I notice everyone had taken a step back off the blacktop while reloading.

At a 9mm range qualification shoot (Browning Mk3's) a student dropped a 9mm on a concrete floor and it went bang.

We thought someone had loaded and UD.

The student's face was priceless, no one hurt but one pair of undies ruined.

That's why I always feel (can't think of the word I want) shucking live shells.:lol:

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That's why I always feel (can't think of the word I want) shucking live shells.:lol:

I saw a shotgun shell fall out of a shooter's belt as she was moving forward to shoot the next gun on a stage. Hit a rock just right and went off. No one got hurt, she didn't even know it until told after she finished the stage.

I dropped a 30-30 round and set the primer off on a chunk of rock at a weekend shoot in the desert. It wasn’t as impressive as I thought it might be. There was a loud pop, the case was split and the bullet was nowhere to be found. 

10 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Officer second to my right drop a 38 special during firearm qulaifications.  Round fell onto the blacktop runway and went off.  Officer first on my right got a minor bleeder on his cheek from the brass shrapnel.  After the incident I notice everyone had taken a step back off the blacktop while reloading.

I saw the same thing happen at Division Matches at Camp Pendleton back in the '80's.  Was a .45 auto that was dropped.  Found the case and the brass had mushroomed.  Nobody hurt.

I was a member of a West coast Nuclear Security force for 32 years.We Qualified Quarterly on a multi level range. When we were done with a course of fire, we would unload any unfired rounds we had left, and dump them into a bucket. One time a buddy of mine did so and a .40 cal round hit its primer just right on the tip of another round and went off. The shell casing fragmented and hit another officer standing near by in the chest. The noise startled the officer who dropped the rounds in the bucket and he stepped backwards and fell down a 25' embankment with an AR 15 strapped to his chest. The rangemaster who had 40+ years of experience said it was the first time he had a round discharge on his range. The officer who was struck in the chest had a small flesh wound, the officer who fell backwards injured his elbow and neck and soon after medically retired. Needless to say the procedure to get rid off extra rounds was changed so you placed them in your palm and with the back of your hand touching the rounds in the container, gently rolled them off your hand into the pile.

That video should be pinned somewhere.  Someone can talk about that happening all they want or say it happened to a friend of a friend, but unless it's seen, some won't believe it.  "Oh, that just some story someone read on the internet.  I don't believe it.  That can't happen."

A lady on our posse years ago at Mason Dixon had a shotgun shell in her belt go off when it was hit with a piece of lead that bounced back off the target.  Launched the casing out of her belt a couple of inches, but the shot just dribbled out onto the ground.  It's one of those physics things, the mass of the lead (be it bullet or shot) far exceeds the mass of the case and, unless the case is contained or restrained, the force will be equal in ALL directions, including sideways through the case.  Typically, this happens without without injurious force, but there is always a chance of injury depending on the round type and load.   Generally the biggest issues is that a bunch of folks may need a change of underwear, but it does happen.

Myth Busters did a show were they put bullets in an oven, or fire, I can't recall it's been a long time, but it's probably on YouTube somewhere.

1 hour ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

A lady on our posse years ago at Mason Dixon had a shotgun shell in her belt go off when it was hit with a piece of lead that bounced back off the target.  Launched the casing out of her belt a couple of inches, but the shot just dribbled out onto the ground.  It's one of those physics things, the mass of the lead (be it bullet or shot) far exceeds the mass of the case and, unless the case is contained or restrained, the force will be equal in ALL directions, including sideways through the case.  Typically, this happens without without injurious force, but there is always a chance of injury depending on the round type and load.   Generally the biggest issues is that a bunch of folks may need a change of underwear, but it does happen.

Myth Busters did a show were they put bullets in an oven, or fire, I can't recall it's been a long time, but it's probably on YouTube somewhere.

I think I would literally shat myself if a round on my belt suddenly went off.:blush:

Archived