SASS Wire Forum

Strange Strikeout

Subdeacon Joe

So the batter was expecting a fastball and had his mind made up to swing….   Whooops! :lol: I doubt that would have ever happened in the “Bigs” but I’ve seen some weird things in games. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So the batter was expecting a fastball and had his mind made up to swing….   Whooops! :lol: I doubt that would have ever happened in the “Bigs” but I’ve seen some weird things in games. 

On second thought I was wrong!! I think the batter was just doing a practice swing. Ump is wrong!!

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

On second thought I was wrong!! I think the batter was just doing a practice swing. Ump is wrong!!

I disagree. The pitched ball was still in play as the catcher had not caught the ball when the batter (who was still in the batter's box) swung the bat. As the pitch was still enroute to the catcher when the batter swung and the batter was still in the batter's box...strike three, you're out. :P

And in case it would be counted as a "the catcher dropped the ball on the third strike so the batter could run to first" situation, the catcher tagged him.

But yeah. If the catcher had caught the ball. If the picture had thrown an intentional ball, like he was trying to walk the batter, and the catcher caught at 3 feet to the side of the plate, and the batter swung - that's a strike.

The pitcher should send the batter a case of beer if that was the difference in the game.

On the other hand, I figger that the batter must have already been blind drunk to have made that swing, so a big bottle of cheap liquor (it's the minor leagues, these guys on on a budget) might be more appropriate.

It looked to me like he thought the ball was dead and just took a practice swing. Oh well, I'm not an umpire but I think that was a really bad call!

The umpire has to judge that the batter "offered" at the ball.  In this case, it looks to me like a practice/loosening up swing like they always do between pitches, because it was so far outside.  There's no way he was offering. 

18 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It looked to me like he thought the ball was dead and just took a practice swing. Oh well, I'm not an umpire but I think that was a really bad call!

I just think that he was not paying attention and, as pointed out above, was in the habit of taking a gazillion practice swings.

1 minute ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The umpire has to judge that the batter "offered" at the ball.  In this case, it looks to me like a practice/loosening up swing like they always do between pitches, because it was so far outside.  There's no way he was offering. 

But he's in the batter's box, too a swing and the ball's in play. 

If the ball had sailed 10 feet over their head instead of dribbling along the ground 15 feet from the plate and he'd done a golf swing like he was chasing a low pitch, that would still be a strike, right?

Doesn't the batter have a obligation to make is intentions clear?

He should have shouldered the bat, stepped out of the box and THEN did his practice swing ritual (which is annoying to an extreme to me).  I was taught that the box is all about business and when you're in it, you best be ready.

4 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Just curious, could the umpire have made a judgement call like that? The batter swung while the ball was on the way to the catcher albeit WAY outside and an obvious mistake on the pitcher's part. I respect your opinion as you have far more experience umpiring and knowledge of the rules than anyone else in this Saloon, that's why I inquire.

4 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I just think that he was not paying attention and, as pointed out above, was in the habit of taking a gazillion practice swings.

But he's in the batter's box, too a swing and the ball's in play. 

If the ball had sailed 10 feet over their head instead of dribbling along the ground 15 feet from the plate and he'd done a golf swing like he was chasing a low pitch, that would still be a strike, right?

This is a "judgement" call -- one that is up to the umpire's interpretation of what happened.  In my view, he did not offer; it was a practice swing.  If it was 10 feet over his head and he took a practice swing such as you described, same thing.

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

Just curious, could the umpire have made a judgement call like that? The batter swung while the ball was on the way to the catcher albeit WAY outside and an obvious mistake on the pitcher's part. I respect your opinion as you have far more experience umpiring and knowledge of the rules than anyone else in this Saloon, that's why I inquire.

The only thing I can guess is that the umpire thought the batter was trying to strike out on purpose.  This is often done with two strikes and a wild pitch because the batter can steal first.

5 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Doesn't the batter have a obligation to make is intentions clear?

He should have shouldered the bat, stepped out of the box and THEN did his practice swing ritual (which is annoying to an extreme to me).  I was taught that the box is all about business and when you're in it, you best be ready.

No, that's something your coach taught you to prevent things like this from happening, but there is NO OBLIGATION in the rule book.

1 minute ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The only thing I can guess is that the umpire thought the batter was trying to strike out on purpose.  This is often done with two strikes and a wild pitch because the batter can steal first.

Bases were empty according to the little indicator in the bottom right of the screen.

I'm still betting on brain fart by the batter.

35 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The ball is never dead on a wild pitch; it remains live and in play.  Foul, hit by pitch, the ball leaving the field of play (which this did not), or the umpire calling "time" are the only things that make it dead.

Just now, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

No, that's something your coach taught you to prevent things like this from happening, but there is NO OBLIGATION in the rule book.

True- and it keeps the little kids from lingering in the box and getting ran over if there's a play at home.

2 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Bases were empty according to the little indicator in the bottom right of the screen.

I'm still betting on brain fart by the batter.

Yes, that's why he can steal first.  With first occupied, he can only steal first when there are two outs.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It pays to grow your hair! Never seen that one before! :o

Archived