SASS Wire Forum

Hair nets in restaurants

Rye Miles #13621

Shouldn’t the cooks and people working in fast food places be wearing hair nets? I seem to remember they used to but I don’t notice them anymore, 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Hair today and gone tomorrow!

HEY!!!  Now yer gettin’ personal!! :lol:

I STILL have all the hair I ever had!!  

It has mostly just migrated to places where I neither need or want hair!!

It will depend on the city/county health codes, which should be online for each jurisdiction.  If you see unhealthy practices in any restaurant, you should report it.

Just now, J-BAR #18287 said:

It will depend on the city/county health codes, which should be online for each jurisdiction.  If you see unhealthy practices in any restaurant, you should report it.

I see many restaurants employees without hairnets especially in fast food places. If I reported all of them I’d be on the phone all day! 
I think it’s a thing of the past .

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I see many restaurants employees without hairnets especially in fast food places. If I reported all of them I’d be on the phone all day! 
I think it’s a thing of the past .

maybe…

The food processing establishments I inspected as a USDA inspector required them, as well as gloves to prevent contact with prepared foods.  Smoking, open drink containers in food preparation areas are also forbidden.

Perhaps you need to change restaurants!

Now that you mention it, no, no I haven't seen one for a while...not even on tv during news segments where they show (advertise) restaurants in the local area. Almost all of them wear the plastic gloves handling food but also handle everything else in the kitchen with the gloves still on, thereby rendering them useless and for show only.

I remember when women got to be 60 or so, they wore baggy black dresses and put on those chunky-heeled lace-up black shoes. And hairnets.

Not now. Skin-tight leggings, crop tops, and ponytails. Plus a water bottle in hand. I like it better.

9 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

maybe…

The food processing establishments I inspected as a USDA inspector required them, as well as gloves to prevent contact with prepared foods.  Smoking, open drink containers in food preparation areas are also forbidden.

Perhaps you need to change restaurants!

Change all of them? I haven’t seen a hair net in any of them!

Are they wearing some kind of cover?? 
As others have said, depending on locations hats can be substituted for hairnets.   Hairnets/ hats sever 2 purposes, keep hair out of what you are preparing and probably more important is keeping your hands away from your dirty scalp. 

LF. 

11 minutes ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

Are they wearing some kind of cover?? 
As others have said, depending on locations hats can be substituted for hairnets.   Hairnets/ hats sever 2 purposes, keep hair out of what you are preparing and probably more important is keeping your hands away from your dirty scalp. 

LF. 

I see most wearing gloves and some wearing hats like ball caps etc. but hair hanging down on girls and guys!

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Shouldn’t the cooks and people working in fast food places be wearing hair nets? I seem to remember they used to but I don’t notice them anymore, 

Not for many, many years.

They usually wear ball cap or visor.

Archived