SASS Wire Forum

As We Come To The End Of The Year

Subdeacon Joe

What will they call the 90 year old age category?

I find myself looking eagerly toward it. 

I will use my gun cart as a walker.

:-)

Wonder if anyone else ever thought like this?

As a youth I would look at old people and think that I did not want to end up like them. So I decided that if I was still around by 50, I would off myself.

By the time I was 30 that "50 at the most" thing got bumped to 60. At 45 that 60 got bumped up to 80. Now that I'm in my 60s I don't care how long I live. 90. 106. :P

When I was in my teens, you’d have gotten good odds that I’d never see 30!

At the 10 year and 20 year high school class reunions I was listed in the programs as deceased. None of my classmates had seen or heard from me and they assumed…

A year or so before my 30 year reunion, Schoolmarm was buying gas and some groceries at a convenience store near my house. She wrote a check for the purchase and the lady behind the counter saw my name on the check and nearly lost it! “There’s only one guy with that name in the whole world! We all thought he was DEAD!!!” she shouted.  It was a girl who’d had a crush on me in school.  She apparently informed whoever and we received an invitation to the reunion a few months later.

At the reunion, I was voted “Most Changed” over the loud protests of the guy who had been the Best Man at my wedding. “He’s the same sonofabitch that he’s always been! He just LOOKS different!” he shouted, laughing uncontrollably.

It would have been our 50th last year if it weren’t for the Covid bullcrap and most of my classmates are gone.  I still talk to Eddie, the drummer in my band and Barry Barnes who played guitar for Charlie Daniels after we got out of school and later in our band as well.  We all started 7th grade together. There are a few more out there, but I don’t hear from them much.

As to “taking better care of myself,” I probably wouldn’t do much of anything different.  Scars are just tattoos with better stories behind ‘em.  This time three years ago, the grim reaper nearly got me and I did exactly what I’ve told people that I would do when it got to where I was drawing my last breath.  I looked around and said, “Well! I didn’t miss much!” and closed my eyes.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

As I have told my docs, although I never had anything to do with the USAF B-52's (I was a missileer maintainer), they are supposed to last until 2050 before retirement.  I want to see that. I will be 108 then, so I have 28 years to go.  My folks both made it to 98, and that has been 10 years ago for Mom, and 19 years for Dad, so, with improvements in medical care, I may be able to make it to 108...providing I don't get hit by a bus!

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year, Pards!

18 hours ago, watab kid said:

my MIL is 90 and her SIL is 99 , i need to know what that will be soon , i doubt ill ever see it but my wife might , 

Interesting stats released this year…..on my birthday. :(

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2022/20220831.htm

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

As I have told my docs, although I never had anything to do with the USAF B-52's (I was a missileer maintainer), they are supposed to last until 2050 before retirement.  I want to see that. I will be 108 then, so I have 28 years to go.  My folks both made it to 98, and that has been 10 years ago for Mom, and 19 years for Dad, so, with improvements in medical care, I may be able to make it to 108...providing I don't get hit by a bus!

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year, Pards!

Given just how effective the Buff is I would bet good money that they'll still be on active service longer than that.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Ain't that the gospel truth!!!  :o

Good to see ya back 40

Archived