SASS Wire Forum

Gun Part Found at Range, What is it ?

Skullbone Willie

Got in some practice today with my brother, Possum Trot Pete. He shot the 1st stage, then I shot it. As I was picking up my rifle I found this part laying on the table we was shooting from. We both shoot Taylor Uberti 1873 Comanchero’s and CZ Sharptail Coach guns. We are confident this part did not come from our guns. It’s roughly 3/4” long, the round end is slotted for a screwdriver and appears to be blued. Identifying the part might help in getting it back to its owner. What is it and what gun would it fit ? 

44017DC9-66B2-4997-887F-39B4C3DD679E.jpeg

It looks like a needle valve to me. Something to regulate fuel flow.

5 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

Win 97 left shell stop pivot.  They do fall out, especialy from ChinWesters.

3 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

The left screw is shorter.

Excellent call Kulshan!!

Both right and left below.

20221229_064644.jpg

I was told back in the early days of my SASS experience that a '97 is nothing but 97 parts just waiting to break, :o and I will add "or fall out" to that comment. :D

Good '97s, tuned by good gunsmiths, run by good shooters (who actually practice :rolleyes:) are a thing of beauty to watch.

Since I am none of those things, I shoot a hammered SXS.  Why hammered you might ask?  Because it hurts more! :P:lol:

2 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

99.9% of the time you don't need it unless you're shooting Wb. Hopefully the other parts fell out the bottom lol.

Hells Comin 

Years ago, the right side cartridge stop screw fell out of my '97. Locked it right up until the stop was manually pressed back into the correct location, so it is a necessary part. That's the reason I have multiple cartridge stop screws for both sides. I've never needed to replace another one but I have helped others that have had theirs come loose.

Archived