SASS Wire Forum

Winter is here

Utah Bob #35998

Yeah. Looks like it’s slacked off a bit. I’ll fire up the plow after breakfast.
Well in the midst of my eggs and sausage repast, the power went out. 
Called the power company and went out to plow. 4” to 6” they said. 8” I got. And no it the light fluffy Hallmark stuff. The wet heavy make-you-wish-you-were-in-the- Bahamas stuff.

Got the road done then started PacMan the snowthrower. One tire started spinning after a few minutes work. It does that when it’s out of air. Went to turn on the compressor. Oh Yeah….no power. I got the emergency mini pump in the car but the tire had lost it’s bead. Fount a ratchet strap in the barn, cinched the tire tight and the power came back on. yay.

Turned on the big comressor and dragged the hose over to PacMan. Heard a hissing…crack at the fitting in the compressor hose. 
Temorary repair and got the tire up. Finished the close work around the house and car. Still snowing.

I heard the county snowplow go by. I’ll check after lunch to make sure he didn’t fill up my entrance.

Life in the west. ;)

E82D5D98-8009-4620-8F4E-A5F078FA1673.jpeg

D9B5730C-2D2D-459F-934F-AF3912FDF3C6.jpeg

0B20B662-29EC-4952-8181-9B2AA7DE5AFA.jpeg

340C1DCA-71D4-4182-BA4A-EE75D51327E3.jpeg

UB,

The storm that hit you earlier just made it to us

25 mph winds,rain,sleet , thunder snow,( that was interesting!), and now its snowing sideways.

Won't even ask

"What's next?"

Choctaw

started out at 37° as I made my way to club range before sun up to fill bathroom water tower (I have no life)

on way home at 11:00 it was 67°

topped out at 75° this afternoon

time to start planting crops for spring

cr

Then the day went completely to s***. Fedex delivered a package at 3pm I was going to take the 4 wheeler down to the mailbox where they dropped it but It’s bulky so I took the car. Picked it up but when I got to the road about 50 yards further I couldn’t get over the mess the county had plowed to turn around. 

So I began backing up the 700 feet to the house. 3 more inches of snow had fallen since I plowed at noon. The car slid off the drive and down into deep stuff. Going to need to be pulled out. But not tonight. I hauled the 5 foot long box out and staggered back up to the house with it. Then I thought I’d go ahead and plow a little bit more to make it easier to haul the car out in the morning. It’s supposed to be sunny. 

Made one sweep with the ATV down and back. On the second sweep the winch switch stuck in the up position. Ice got in it I guess. SNAP went the winch cable and down went the blade. Not a big deal but…the cable had wound back up on the spool so instead of just pulling some out and tying it to the blade mount I’ll have to take the fairlead off the front of the winch to get to the cable. Can’t move the Polaris with the blade like it is and darkness fell.

So I have a disabled atv about 40 yards down the road and a stuck car about 200 yards further. I need to get there ATV out of the road to be able to get the tractor down to the car. 

Tomorrow morning should be interesting.

I should be ranting and throwing stuff but I guess I’m getting old enough to just take crap as it comes. A little less crap would have been nice though. Oh well.  At least the snow stopped.

;)

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Nasty.  In re: the winch cable, check out Montana Jack's they have short cables just for the plow that are cheap and replaceable in minutes.

Yeah I have a short plow cable. It would be a snap if any of it was exposed but the stuck switch kept winding it up. 

Here’s the Fedex proof o’ delivery pic. In the snow. A cardboard box. No plastic bag over it. With more snow coming. 

168847EC-2D92-4C8A-A2EA-F7B2780400E2.jpeg

Put down 20# of ice melt at the worst spot in the drive and worked the ice chopper in a few key locations.  With nearly 10 days above freezing daytime forecast, the rest should resolve itself.  I don't like Winter, but I need to live in a place that has seasons.

South metro-Denver got about 8" - 10" of heavy, wet snow last night. Temperatures at least warming up.  Came over with his dad's snowblower and got a good bit off our driveway and walk. I managed to clear enough of the walk just outside our front door to get our dog out to an area under the trees, where the snow doesn't fall. Poor critter has a bad case of cabin fever!  At least it is nothing like Buffalo, NY, thank Heavens!  Already starting to melt off.  Good thing about the altitude along Front Range Colorado, the sun is about 3 times stronger than Florida, so the radiant heat is great at melting.  Anybody like to buy Southwest Airlines? Not tickets or stock, but maybe the airline itself? We used to fly them, but NO MORE!

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year, Pards!

Hey JackAny of that lightning hit close to U. El Mulo said he had 11 strikes within 3 miles of his place.

Largo

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

South metro-Denver got about 8" - 10" of heavy, wet snow last night. Temperatures at least warming up.  Came over with his dad's snowblower and got a good bit off our driveway and walk. I managed to clear enough of the walk just outside our front door to get our dog out to an area under the trees, where the snow doesn't fall. Poor critter has a bad case of cabin fever!  At least it is nothing like Buffalo, NY, thank Heavens!  Already starting to melt off.  Good thing about the altitude along Front Range Colorado, the sun is about 3 times stronger than Florida, so the radiant heat is great at melting.  Anybody like to buy Southwest Airlines? Not tickets or stock, but maybe the airline itself? We used to fly them, but NO MORE!

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year, Pards!

Maybe Elon will buy Southwest. :D

Archived