SASS Wire Forum

Wrangler vs Rough Rider

Rye Miles #13621

Interesting. I gave my nephew a Rough Rider several years ago and my youngest has two Wranglers. I don’t like the safety and the bushing on the Rough Rider and don’t care for the Wrangler’s cylinder indexing. The fact that we have two Wrangler’s and no Rough Riders tells you which one I prefer.

46 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don’t like the safety and the bushing on the Rough Rider and don’t care for the Wrangler’s cylinder indexing.

I, too, find the free spinning cylinder of the Wrangler sort of odd.  I’m spoiled by the “reverse indexing pawl” of the New Vaquero.

I have a Rough Rider and a pair of Wranglers I use for practice. They all function about the same but I think the Wranglers look better and are better made. The loading gate on the Rough Rider doesn't look like a SAA and the gate on the wranglers feels like it is closed with a railroad spring. All are good for practice.

Lucky :P

I have two Rough Riders that I shoot 3-4 times a year in the rim fire class at our SASS local clubs. Had them about 5 years now. My son and two grandsons each have one. We have never had an issue with any of them, and accuracy isn't a problem. They are half the price of the Wrangler and except for the Ruger name I don't see anything else worth paying double the price. If you don't like the Heritage safety it's easily removed with your fingers, cut off the bar, and JB weld it back in place. Then only load five rounds and keep an empty chamber under the hammer like the rest of our SASS pistols.

I had two Wranglers and they were stiff as heck. I changed the spring in one and it wasn’t much better. I sold them and bought two Rough Riders and the action is 100% better! 
the RRs were on sale for $99.00 and there was a $30.00 rebate on each. What a super deal!!B)

Well I gotta tell yah about mine now. Waaa Haw:

Family bought mine a FIE Texas Ranger ,22 caliber blue 4 3/4" barrel in December of 1983 price was $66.68 including tax & Insurance from Cains shooting supply. It's a fantastic revolver and accurate as all get up. I will enclose a photo along with one other .22 /.22 mag revolver. Model  EASA made in Italy. Both shoot very well. Still have original boxes they came in. The one on top is EASA & The bottom one is FIE. I believe that Heritage took over FIE. P.S. I did do some work on these revolvers, and they are very slick shooting.

574290544_Jackrabbits.22pistols.JPG

16 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Have had both.

Still have the Wranglers.

Won't have another RR.

If that tells you anything.

100% opposite of my scenario! I actually hated the Wranglers!

My buddy had a gun shop and he quit selling the Heritage as they kept coming back for repairs.  Evidently the early models had soft firing pins which would mushroom and he couldn't get the replacement parts.

They may have improved their metal selection.

I bought my Wranglers from Bud's Gun Shop for $179 with free shipping.  Bud's allowed you to pick the serial numbers, so I chose two with descending numbers.  Rural King has the Heritages on sale right now for $97 and some places are even cheaper.

47 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

My buddy had a gun shop and he quit selling the Heritage as they kept coming back for repairs.  Evidently the early models had soft firing pins which would mushroom and he couldn't get the replacement parts.

They may have improved their metal selection.

I bought my Wranglers from Bud's Gun Shop for $179 with free shipping.  Bud's allowed you to pick the serial numbers, so I chose two with descending numbers.  Rural King has the Heritages on sale right now for $97 and some places are even cheaper.

Taurus bought Heritage in 2012 (I think) and the quality has improved a bunch!

I bought mine for $99.00 at Fin Feather & Fur. There was also a $30.00 rebate on each one! Super deal!

1 hour ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I personally like wranglers better. They just fit me better and look nicer. 
Rough Riders tend to chafe the inside of my legs. And they make me look fat!

You're not supposed to wear them on the inside of your legs!!:P

3 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I personally like wranglers better. They just fit me better and look nicer. 
Rough Riders tend to chafe the inside of my legs. And they make me look fat!

Perhaps he was thinking “pocket pistols”?

6 minutes ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

Out side of price, is there any advantage to the Ruger Wrangler or Heritage RR over a nice Ruger Single Six, even used?

I would say never.

14 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Or a Colt.  :)

A good used Colt .22 can be had for a very reasonable price if you look for it.  Of course, not as inexpensive as the the above, but, well, you get what you pay for.

I had a Colt Frontier scout that I sadly sold about 10 years ago. Great gun! 

I own several single six pistols .

The Wrangler ant No Single Six by any means of the imagination.

I have two Wranglers so my Grandkids don't have to shoot my Single Six three screws or my Bearcats .

These Three screws are becoming worth so much money now a days.

I bought two more 22 for the kids to play with 

This time I bought two Rough Riders .

The kids seem to like the Rough Riders more !

At first I hated the stupid looking safety on the side of the Rogh Rider .

But I found it to be usable for training a Child with zero experience in shooting .

Both are decent cheap guns .

So for myself. 

I will keep my Single sixes and Bearcats .

And let the kids play with the Wranglers and the Rough Riders. 

So Saith The Rooster. 

Archived