SASS Wire Forum

Crazy Hockey Puck idea??

Chili Ron

Howdy

I just read about an idea being floated for kids to carry hockey pucks.

Imagine a guy sneaks into a school with a gun.

He thinks he rules the day.

Maybe he waves the gun around maybe he shoots off a round.

Instead of running and screaming the kids pull out hockey pucks

and throw em as hard as they can right at the guys head.....or other areas.

Think how hard it would be to aim when these hard hunks of rubber hit your face.

I have to think about this.

And I thought pards might have comments pro or con.

And hockey pucks arent metal so they wouldnt set off metal detectors.

AFAIK they arent considered a weapon at all.

Interesting.

Best

CR

Good idea IF all the kids participate in taking out the dirtbag. 

Scenario with 30 kids in the classroom :

6 kids left their pucks somewhere else because they can’t be bothered helping to save the “uncool kids”

12 won’t carry the puck as it either creates an unsightly bulge in their outfit Or it’s too heavy.

5 kids carry the puck but are terrified to use it as they may make a mistake and be endlessly chastised for it. 
3 kids carry the puck and hope something happens so they can win the day and be idolized by everyone and get the hot chicks. 
4 kids carry the pucks so that if something goes down in the melee they can throw them at the cool kids taking vengeance for past humiliations. 

:D

I read something similar a few years ago, but I don't remember what they were supposed to throw. Books or maybe blackboard erasers. They were supposed to throw something that they would normally have in the classroom.

That's right up there with the woman defending herself from the rapist by hitting him with her car keys. Great idea dreamed up by somebody who is not trying to defend himself by hitting a bad guy with his car keys.

Howdy,

In case you dont know a hockey puck is one inch thick and three inch diameter.

Made of very hard rubber and weichs about 6 ounces.

Getting hit witha couple would distract most anyone.

And they are not viewed as a weapon of any sort and dont 

set off metal detectors.

Best

CR

Local School decided  it would be a great idea to have 2-3-4 graders rush a shooter.  
 Yeah right so we set up a test with paint ball, anyone want to guess what happened when "shooter " entered classroom and kids tried rushing him  ?

Well shooter takes out one or 2 the rest run and hide . I see this as the same 

Howdy,

That is a very poor test.

The so called shooter knows ezzactluy what to exxpect.

And rushing a shooter puts the kids much closer making hits certain.

Kids throwing things keeps the kids back.

Read Marine Sniper about how to hold enemy if you care to.

When a lot of folks move at once a shooter will almost certainly

be surprised and probably confused.

Marine Sniper a good winter read any how.

Best

CR

Kinda odd shooting little kids with a paintball.  The times I was hit at relatively close range I had bruises darn near the size of a baseball.  And were they wearing facemasks / eye protection?  I can see big teens rushing and making a difference, even taking a shooter down and out.  Little kids, not so much.

I don’t have to think about it at all. :wacko:

Ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don’t have to think about it at all. :wacko:

Ridiculous.

I agree it’s a pretty dumb idea!! I like armed teachers instead.

Having been hit by a puck at decent speed, it’s not that much of a deterrent.  Although I have read throwing something at a shooter is good at distracting them as the body will automatically track the object, Human nature.  

a better weapon would be a hockey puck in a tube sock and use it as a sap.   Would do a world of hurt.  

I recall the discussions about buckets of rocks mentioned by @Rip Snorter.  Dunno if it ever went anywhere, but I suspect there would be as many arguments against as in favor.  Mebbe kids throwing their shoes might be worth somethin'....

In that vein, I once took similar precautions:

I worked with a woman who, to be blunt, lost it.  She had a total breakdown at work, and ultimately spent over a year in a shelter.  Formerly an upstanding member of the community, country club officer, and basically an upstanding, capable person, well liked by all.  But we had a boss* who would torment her and literally drove her over the brink: he would call her into his office and give her all sorts of grief; she would come back to her desk pale and trembling, drop off a stack of papers, then walk out - and return ten or fifteen minutes later in a gin fog and quietly start working.  In due course, this fundamentally sweet lady lost her job, her husband, and much more.   

Between her breakdown and entry into the shelter program she had told me that she was going to take shooting lessons and buy a revolver.  Not good, and I did my best to dissuade her.  But, recognizing the possibility -although slight - that she might do something rash, I stashed a bunch of baseballs in my upper right desk drawer.  I'd done some pitching in an earlier life, and figured that if she (or anyone else, for that matter!) might do something rash, I was pretty sure I could get off a beanball or two or three.  

Fortunately, it never came about, and I ended up distributing the balls to others in the office as "desk toys."

*I'm pretty easy-going, but this jerk ultimately learned that I was not as easily browbeaten as my colleague.  <_<

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

That is a very poor test.

The so called shooter knows ezzactluy what to exxpect.

And rushing a shooter puts the kids much closer making hits certain.

Kids throwing things keeps the kids back.

Read Marine Sniper about how to hold enemy if you care to.

When a lot of folks move at once a shooter will almost certainly

be surprised and probably confused.

Marine Sniper a good winter read any how.

Best

CR

No the "shooter " in test did not know what was being tested . Kids did and were ready to attack still once oa couple are hit fear kicks in its no longer a game .
 Now why would I read the book when 1 I knew Carlos and 2 he helped train me and my class . He was a regular to show up at 8541 school  Full train Hog here no little pig

I got tagged on the forehead above the right eye with a hockey puck at a rink in Maine. I was paying more attention to the pretty girl that was serving me a beer. I sure as heck wasn’t expecting it and it sure rang my bell. 
I kept the puck as a souvenir. 
I could see a bunch of high school or even middle school kids beating the daylights out of some squirrelly bad guy with hockey pucks, then chairs, clubs, fists and feet, but elementary school kids? I kind of doubt it. 

Side note: I had a Glock 26 I nicknamed “the hockey puck”. 

16 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Local School decided  it would be a great idea to have 2-3-4 graders rush a shooter.  
 Yeah right so we set up a test with paint ball, anyone want to guess what happened when "shooter " entered classroom and kids tried rushing him  ?

Well shooter takes out one or 2 the rest run and hide . I see this as the same 

People who play paintball have safety gear.

I recall simunitions training.

5 gallon bucket with a lid, some rocks (not huge, but good throwing size -- bit bigger than a golf ball) a few ball bats, a roll of TP and some hand sanitizer.

Rocks to distract and maybe injure/impede, ball bats for close-in.

5 gallon bucket, TP and sanitizer because even if your classroom is secure, school lockdowns can keep students held the classrooms for a long time.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

People who play paintball have safety gear.

I recall simulations training.

Not when You play with a M16/AR  and paint ball pounds .   :)  which I have been hit with at ahh 4-6 inches away LOL , I find it lame to try to teach kids some of these when most men wont do anything.

Not to mention how many can actually hit what they are throwing at , will he have a new class puck throwing ? Ohh Puck qualifying  too ?  over Half of kids wouldnt even have them they would be at home in a locker ect 

Howdy,

I guess a hockey player was knocked cold by one

hit with a puck last night I think......

No I dont have a link or pix or any of that other stuff you guys always seem to crave.

Best

CR

Law enforcement agencies have rubber bullets and buckshot, plus beanbag rounds, and they almost never work to slow down or stop a determined perpetrator. I don't see pucks being thrown by kids (who by-and-large don't do much more physical than text) being more of a deterrent than the non-lethals used by police. 

Archived