SASS Wire Forum

Ultrasonic cleaners for pistols?

Charlie Harley, #14153

Has anyone ever used an ultrasonic cleaner for their pistols?  Just removed the grips, dip it in the tank, let it run its cycle, and relube?

I’ve pondered such an approach for pistols that are a pain to disassemble, but was wondering if anyone had done it?

I appreciate any insight the Wire may offer.

I’ve heard some use one for cleaning, then a 2nd sonic bath with Balistol or some other gun oil 

I had a shotgun that would occasionally not fire one barrel. I cleaned it, no help. I took receiver off and put it in sonic cleaner. I was amazed at the crud that came out. But…… it discolored the blueing. 

Does it remove barrel fouling? Just asking. 

In jewelry, it will crack some stones, remove tarnish, and contaminating CRUD and buffing compounds, but it has little effect on metals, like silver solder.  

I have a jeweler's Steam Dragon that steam cleans down to bare metal.  I've used it on SS Vaqueros and it works very well for blowing CRUD and old lubricant deposits.  Most jewelers have them.  Most are not gun averse (for obvious reasons), so asking them to clean a revolver might be worth trying, and not cost very much-- for an occasional deep cleaning.  

I use two ultrasonic cleaners. One with cleaning solution and the other with oil. Both are heated to about 80 celcius. I use 15 minute cycles and most 1897 parts require multiple cycles. Once the cleaning cycles are complete and parts allowed to air dry for a short period, 10 to 20 minutes, they are placed into the oil, one to two cycles is plenty. I remove the parts and allow them to shed the excess oil. Then they are ready for a wipe down, inspection, and reassembly.

The solutions that are available for the cleaning range from cleaning to removing the finish on the metal. So be aware of the type of solution you use so you don't get any suprises. Don't ask me how I know this. B)

I use one for stainless cylinders, & it works well to mostly remove the crud on the front of the cylinders. I also used it for the assembly of the forearm on an SKB that fixed a problem for me (SG came apart twice on stages at the Southeast Regional). I started with Simple Green, but it removed the anodizing on the carrier of my wife's 1873 rifle. The carrier still works fine & looks like a titanium carrier now. I switched to another solution on Amazon that specifically stated it could be used for guns.

I haven't been comfortable running my entire Rugers thru it, cause I don't want to disassemble them to re-lube. But, I know experienced, fast cowboys who do their entire guns. And, as others have stated above, having two tanks wouldn't be a good idea. Make sure you get one large enough to accommodate an entire gun.

I run my pistols through an ultrasonic cleaning 1-2 times a year, depending on how much I’m shooting.  I only do one gun at a time, I like to keep the same parts in the same gun.  I break the gun down and put it all in at the same time.  After a thorough cleaning the larger parts get dried off with compressed air and the smaller parts with a heat gun set on low.  Once they’re good a dry everything gets a coating of oil inside and out, followed by a wipe down to remove the excess.  It’s amazing to see how much dirt, and gunk is at the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner, and yes the micro bubbles get into every crevice and pull out stuff you can get to.  I recommend that if you decide to try it research the cleaning solution you’re going to use, some are ok to use for guns others aren’t.

I've been cleaning my rugers (stainless) Ultrasonically for past 3-5 years.   I do partially disassemble[ grips off then  cylinder, ejector pin and housing, and cylinder pin along with rest of gun tossed in cleaner.  I then rinse in clear water and manually re-lube.    It's quick and brings them to almost as clean as new.    Also put most of 73 parts that fit and semi auto frames, bolts and slides all with great results.   One of best things I've bought.

I've "heard" good things from people that use them on a regular basis, but I have also heard some horror stories. The biggest complaint has been about the part of the gun resting on the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner becoming discolored.

Don't personally know anyone that does a whole gun, they always part it out first.

1 hour ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I've "heard" good things from people that use them on a regular basis, but I have also heard some horror stories. The biggest complaint has been about the part of the gun resting on the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner becoming discolored.

Don't personally know anyone that does a whole gun, they always part it out first.

Usually there is a basket that holds part off the bottom

On 12/27/2022 at 5:58 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Does it remove barrel fouling? Just asking. 

This is the one I use: Ultra Sonic Cleaner - Amazon

It's great at loosening any and all crud but it doesn't remove it.  The reason is there's no "flow" to the solution.  It sits there and vibrates but doesn't actually move to wash away the loosened crud.  Because of that you still need to run some patches through the bore to remove the loosened fouling. 

I use a Lyman ultrasonic cleaner on my guns and I hove found a couple of things to watch out for, first off is make sure once your guns come out of the cleaner you need to LUBE them before you try to move any parts, my guns come out so clean and dry there is nothing but bare metal on bare metal, second thing is to be really careful what cleaner you use if your putting aluminum parts or chemically done case hardening in the cleaner because you can destroy both finishes fast, I usually do the ultrasonic cleaning once or twice a year and while it won’t remove everything it does a lot better job than just my normal cleaning, also works really good on brass with the simple green PURPLE metal cleaner

Archived