SASS Wire Forum

Ruger firing pin

Tom Bullweed

One of my Ruger .32 birdshead started misfiring three months ago.  It started with 1 out 30 shots (once per monthly match).  It gradually increased.

A retired gunsmith said likely a burr pr trash around the firing pin.  I have the gun disassembled except for the firing pin, including removing the bush pin.  I cannot get the firing or bushing to come out.

Ideas?

There is a pin that is holding the firing pin bushing.  You can locate this pin by opening the loading gate and you will see a hole/opening.  This pin needs to be punched out in order to remove the bushing.   After you removed the bushing, it has to be reinstalled at the exact same alignment, otherwise you will not be able to insert the pin that holds the bushing.  

If it's crud in there, one option is to spray a cleaner through the FP opening, occasionally depressing the FP forward to loosen any debris and repeat the process till it's clean.  This is one way I clean mine.  

50 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

One of my Ruger .32 birdshead started misfiring three months ago.  It started with 1 out 30 shots (once per monthly match).  It gradually increased.

A retired gunsmith said likely a burr pr trash around the firing pin.  I have the gun disassembled except for the firing pin, including removing the bush pin.  I cannot get the firing or bushing to come out.

Ideas?

11 minutes ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

There is a pin that is holding the firing pin bushing.  You can locate this pin by opening the loading gate and you will see a hole/opening.  This pin needs to be punched out in order to remove the bushing.  

Be sure to scribe a line on the firing pin bushing/ frame before you drive the pin out and drive the firing pin bushing out.

Randy 

10 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Be sure to scribe a line on the recoil shield / frame before you drive the pin out and drive the recoil shield out.

Randy 

Actually the bushing needs to be driven out; the recoil shield is part of the frame.  The FP is located within the bushing and that's what keeps the FP in a straight alignment with the opening.

10 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

Actually the bushing needs to be driven out; the recoil shield is part of the frame.  The FP is located within the bushing and that's what keeps the FP in a straight alignment with the opening.

Thanks, I realized that and changed it right after I posted it.

Randy 

Firing pin info is on page 23.  Ruger firing pins seldom have problems.  Unless you are handy with tools I would leave it alone and try brake cleaner and compressed air on the pin first.  Take a punch and push the pin in and let the spring push it back out.  See if you can feel any binding.  Only then would I try removing the firing pin.  The firing pin bushing is pressed in and takes some effort to remove and reinstall.

https://www.sassnet.com/uploads/downloads/cowboychronicle/2013/13Janchron2.pdf

Good info here.

This gun is like new with a very low round count and no mods other than a Wolf spring kit.

I am not going to remove the fp or bushing. If compressed air and machinists oil does not clean up the issue the Ruger can fix it.

Thanks Cowboys.

4 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Good info here.

This gun is like new with a very low round count and no mods other than a Wolf spring kit.

I am not going to remove the fp or bushing. If compressed air and machinists oil does not clean up the issue the Ruger can fix it.

Thanks Cowboys.

Not oil.  Brake cleaner.  You want to dissolve the gunk that may be in there not add more gunk.

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Happens even with an modified stock spring.

Try a OEM full strength hammer spring.

Are the primers seated to the bottom of the primer cup in the case?

What mods have been done to this gun?

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not oil.  Brake cleaner.  You want to dissolve the gunk that may be in there not add more gunk.

THIS!

On 12/26/2022 at 8:01 PM, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

There is a pin that is holding the firing pin bushing.  You can locate this pin by opening the loading gate and you will see a hole/opening.  This pin needs to be punched out in order to remove the bushing.   After you removed the bushing, it has to be reinstalled at the exact same alignment, otherwise you will not be able to insert the pin that holds the bushing.  

If it's crud in there, one option is to spray a cleaner through the FP opening, occasionally depressing the FP forward to loosen any debris and repeat the process till it's clean.  This is one way I clean mine.  

A loooong spray of carburetor cleaner, while moving the firing pin back and forth will normally clean out any residual crud. 

There are also extended firing pins and lighter firing pin return springs available from many vendors.  Either will give harder primer hits, as will a heavier Main (hammer) Spring.  I would try a firmer hammer spring as my second option, if cleaning the fp boring  doesn't fix it.  

One caution about spraying any cleaning solvents.  Some .32 Rugers have painted rather than blued or C-H color finishes on the lower frame.  The cleaners will strip the paint to bare metal.  Ask me how I know.  

Archived