SASS Wire Forum

Mexican carry on horseback

Alpo

I have a Marlboro Man coat.

538121266_Fandangopracticeshotgun.jpg.b9be91a4cac8c3eeadb0c64ab754cbaa.jpg

I don't really wear it often because it doesn't fit in in my neighborhood. And it's not often cold enough down here. But the last few days it has been chilly.

Yesterday, as I came in from walking the dog, I passed in front of a mirror. I was wearing a waist length jacket, and I could plainly see in the mirror 2 inches of holster sticking out below the jacket. Well hell, that kind of defeats the concealed part of concealed carry.

So this morning I wore my Marlboro Man coat.

When I got back in the house I was thinking of a different way to carry. That upside down shoulder holster, maybe.

On the McCloud TV show there was a black cop who wore one of those upside down shoulder holsters. Thinking of the holster made me think of him, who made me think of McCloud, who also wore a Marlboro Man coat.

See how this all makes sense?

Sam carried a Colt Single Action, Mexican carry, with the loading gate open to keep it from sliding down his britches leg. I can't recall whether it was a 4¾ or a 5½, but it was a short barrel - not 7½.

And in one episode he had hopped up on a mounted policeman's horse and went galloping through the park chasing the bad guy.

Now I carried Mexican carry for a lotta years. And if I would run, my right hand butt cheek would push on the barrel, making the gun walk up out of my waistband. So I just wondered what effect riding a galloping horse would have on a pistol barrel stuck down in your britches.

Anyone have thoughts?

Anyone have actual experience?

The closest I’ve ever come to Mexican carry is using a clip grip on a J frame Smith. It was not secure in my opinion and I got rid of it. I have tried several shoulder holsters over the years but I couldn’t get used to the straps over my shoulders. 
I only use quality iwb holsters or own I I’m wearing a coat and don’t anticipate removing it. I have both leather and Kydex types.

Like UB I tried one of those Barami Hip Grip and some other manufacturer’s clip grip. What a waste of money. Insecure and uncomfortable. Wouldn’t advise anyone use one. 

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have a Marlboro Man coat.

538121266_Fandangopracticeshotgun.jpg.b9be91a4cac8c3eeadb0c64ab754cbaa.jpg

I don't really wear it often because it doesn't fit in in my neighborhood. And it's not often cold enough down here. But the last few days it has been chilly.

Yesterday, as I came in from walking the dog, I passed in front of a mirror. I was wearing a waist length jacket, and I could plainly see in the mirror 2 inches of holster sticking out below the jacket. Well hell, that kind of defeats the concealed part of concealed carry.

<SNIP>

Anyone have thoughts?

Anyone have actual experience?

I do use shoulder holsters (either Bianchi X-15, or Kangaroo Carry) when my back is giving me grief.  I've tried various

minimalist approaches (trigger guard covers, clips, Mex-carry, etc) and always found the firearm slipping into an

undesirable position or location (either down my pants or on the floor), and if not that then just impossible to get a

proper grip on.  Getting in and out of cars can be a real problem as well.

I had one of those coats, almost knee length.  Took it and my hat to England with me when I moved there the first time,

lot of fun to walk into a pub in Lythem, and in Wolverhampton to meet future pilots of the plane I was working on for

the MoD.  Wonderful aviators, and great drinking buddies!

When I lived in Phoenix (Luke AFB.) I rode fairly often, and always used a leather cross draw with a Ruger Single Six.

Since it was a waist high holster worn cross, it was easily hidden under a jacket, or left open.  One thing I miss about

living in Arizona was the openness of so many folks while carrying.  It almost never drew comment!

SC

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Like UB I tried one of those Barami Hip Grip and some other manufacturer’s clip grip. What a waste of money. Insecure and uncomfortable. Wouldn’t advise anyone use one. 

Both Barami and DeSantis make a version of that. I have the Barami on my really really ugly J frame 22. I slip it in my pocket, not my waistband. The hook hangs on the top of my pocket.

117117005_317AirLite22LRright.thumb.jpg.c11be933ef7b1471a0b882d7dfdb94ad.jpg

I have the DeSantis on a titanium hammerless 32 H&R. Bottom left. That one I can actually put in my waistband, because there's no hammer to catch on the draw.

1076185735_SWsnubnoserevolvers.thumb.jpg.5614921fe38a2633285826f90423852e.jpg

But the only time I use that is when I'm going out in the front yard for something. Cut the grass, get the mail, take the trash to the street. Something like that. I would not actually go out and wander around in public relying on that to prevent my gun from sliding out.

In this old John Ford silent movie Harry Carey doesn't have a gun belt and holster.  But carries his gun inside his shirt somehow.  Does a cross draw.

I see a lot of old Colt SAA with heavy corrosion on frame over the patten dates on left side.  That side would be against the skin.

Archived