SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1873 U.S. Marshal IT Carbine, 44mag

Capt Kirk

1873 U.S. Marshal IT Carbine 44mag
Cimarron Story: 
In 2017, Cimarron received a request from an active U.S. Marshal in the Marshal Service to make a firearm that he could carry in the line of duty. We took this challenge seriously and have worked tirelessly over the last year to develop, design, and release our U.S Marshal IT (Indian Territory) Carbine. It is an accurate copy of an 1873 carbine presented by Judge Isaac Parker to one of his serving Marshals in 1880, with the stock shortened slightly and a barrel shortened by two inches from the original. Perfect for the active Marshal to keep in the cab of his truck for fast handling if it is needed. The U.S. Marshal IT Carbine 1873 Model is made exclusively for Cimarron by the fine gun-makers at A. Uberti of Italy.
----------------

Well having been fortunate to acquire a set of Talo Distributors Ruger Vaquero Birdshead .44 Mag a while back, I’ve been looking for a 1873 in 44 mag…. Hard to find until recently on GunBroker with a Uberti 1873 19in carbine, was concerned about capability for 10 rounds – but several SASS users posted the 19in can hold 10 rounds even though advertised as 9.
  Then I saw the 1873 U.S. Marshal IT Carbine 44mag, but it was even shorter with 18in barrel. The folks at Grove Gun Shop had 5 listed on GunBroker an a quick call, they agreed to loading 10 44mag snap caps prior to purchase. With the above Cimarron comments about improved 1873 US Marshal edition – I ran up there an validated it indeed does load/cycle 10 rounds – actually with slightly shorted spring, looks like it would hold 11. (Funny thing, they kept asking “what’s cowboy action shooting”  :-)   On way out the door, I spotted a new CZ Rabbit Ears Coach Gun… Took opportunity to give it a once-over, nice… 

So – with newly acquired 1873 Carbine in hand – was excited to get home, open ‘er up and perform the standard cleanup prior to shooting…. Then the fun started, holy jackhammer batman - attempting to remove side plate screw proved futile – yes hollow ground bit on small impact screwdriver were required, but screw was trashed before finally breaking loose. The carrier spring screw was almost as difficult, the Cimarron tech video was helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTaP1pDfvo
Pioneer Gunworks USA made hardened screws in the mail along with “spare parts”…

With internals exposed, was disappointed to find rusty oil everywhere, standard internals and the notorious ridge on the lever cam with obvious wear on a brand new spring. So I proceeded to implement the standard poor man action job as described by several YouTube & SASS tuners. Light Dremel grind on lever cam (flat) & all three springs (rounding the tops), bending the frame side of lever safety spring flush with housing and give the brass carrier a deburr jeweler filing / polishing with Fitz. The results made this little Carbine very similar in feel to brothers Evil Roy 1873 (357mag).  Pics available on request.    Oh – on recommendation from several sources, I checked the magazine tube and surprised to find No-Rust, just cleaned & lubed.

So, although being disappointed in lack of factory improvements for a special addition release at this price – a few hours of careful hands-on work delivers a unique slick shooter.  Well, slick in considering I’ve only run snap-caps through it, hope to give it a break-in at next LonesomeValleyRegulators roundup in Jan. 

====
Closing Remarks from JohnBoy/Billy:
COME ON OUT THIS SUNDAY MORNIN' FOR A DOUBLE-DOSE OF THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH AT THE SWORD OF JOSHUA INDEPENDENT FULL GOSPEL PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLY...JUST OFF STATE ROAD 23, ON THE FRONTAGE ROAD. 
THIS HERE'S THE REVEREND BILLY RAY COLLINS REMINDIN' Y'UNS IT'S TIME TO TURN...SO YOU DON'T BURN.   
Y'ALL KEEP-EM STRAIGHT UP THAR...
====

Ref Links:
Slicking Up The Winchester 1873 - Cowboy Action Guns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0u79KdszOI&t=1165s
Slicking Up The Winchester 1873 - Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoaQ8UF3w7Q

1873 Marshal.jpg

Guido, the Italian Strong Man champion's only job is to tighten screws at the Uberti factory on every 1873 rifle or carbine shipped.

• 2 months later...

I had one of the older 19" 1873 Uberti's in .44 Magnum. I sold it because of its strict limit on cartridge o.a.l. and have regretted it ever since. It was hands-down the slickest '73 I've ever operated and plenty accurate with handloads.

Your U.S. Marshall IT Carbine is indeed intriguing.

Uberti Carbine-3.jpg

Uberti Carbine ed.jpg

On 12/24/2022 at 8:30 PM, Capt Kirk said:

1873 U.S. Marshal IT Carbine 44mag
Cimarron Story: 
In 2017, Cimarron received a request from an active U.S. Marshal in the Marshal Service to make a firearm that he could carry in the line of duty. We took this challenge seriously and have worked tirelessly over the last year to develop, design, and release our U.S Marshal IT (Indian Territory) Carbine. It is an accurate copy of an 1873 carbine presented by Judge Isaac Parker to one of his serving Marshals in 1880, with the stock shortened slightly and a barrel shortened by two inches from the original. Perfect for the active Marshal to keep in the cab of his truck for fast handling if it is needed. The U.S. Marshal IT Carbine 1873 Model is made exclusively for Cimarron by the fine gun-makers at A. Uberti of Italy.
----------------

Well having been fortunate to acquire a set of Talo Distributors Ruger Vaquero Birdshead .44 Mag a while back, I’ve been looking for a 1873 in 44 mag…. Hard to find until recently on GunBroker with a Uberti 1873 19in carbine, was concerned about capability for 10 rounds – but several SASS users posted the 19in can hold 10 rounds even though advertised as 9.
  Then I saw the 1873 U.S. Marshal IT Carbine 44mag, but it was even shorter with 18in barrel. The folks at Grove Gun Shop had 5 listed on GunBroker an a quick call, they agreed to loading 10 44mag snap caps prior to purchase. With the above Cimarron comments about improved 1873 US Marshal edition – I ran up there an validated it indeed does load/cycle 10 rounds – actually with slightly shorted spring, looks like it would hold 11. (Funny thing, they kept asking “what’s cowboy action shooting”  :-)   On way out the door, I spotted a new CZ Rabbit Ears Coach Gun… Took opportunity to give it a once-over, nice… 

So – with newly acquired 1873 Carbine in hand – was excited to get home, open ‘er up and perform the standard cleanup prior to shooting…. Then the fun started, holy jackhammer batman - attempting to remove side plate screw proved futile – yes hollow ground bit on small impact screwdriver were required, but screw was trashed before finally breaking loose. The carrier spring screw was almost as difficult, the Cimarron tech video was helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTaP1pDfvo
Pioneer Gunworks USA made hardened screws in the mail along with “spare parts”…

With internals exposed, was disappointed to find rusty oil everywhere, standard internals and the notorious ridge on the lever cam with obvious wear on a brand new spring. So I proceeded to implement the standard poor man action job as described by several YouTube & SASS tuners. Light Dremel grind on lever cam (flat) & all three springs (rounding the tops), bending the frame side of lever safety spring flush with housing and give the brass carrier a deburr jeweler filing / polishing with Fitz. The results made this little Carbine very similar in feel to brothers Evil Roy 1873 (357mag).  Pics available on request.    Oh – on recommendation from several sources, I checked the magazine tube and surprised to find No-Rust, just cleaned & lubed.

So, although being disappointed in lack of factory improvements for a special addition release at this price – a few hours of careful hands-on work delivers a unique slick shooter.  Well, slick in considering I’ve only run snap-caps through it, hope to give it a break-in at next LonesomeValleyRegulators roundup in Jan. 

====
Closing Remarks from JohnBoy/Billy:
COME ON OUT THIS SUNDAY MORNIN' FOR A DOUBLE-DOSE OF THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH AT THE SWORD OF JOSHUA INDEPENDENT FULL GOSPEL PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLY...JUST OFF STATE ROAD 23, ON THE FRONTAGE ROAD. 
THIS HERE'S THE REVEREND BILLY RAY COLLINS REMINDIN' Y'UNS IT'S TIME TO TURN...SO YOU DON'T BURN.   
Y'ALL KEEP-EM STRAIGHT UP THAR...
====

Ref Links:
Slicking Up The Winchester 1873 - Cowboy Action Guns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0u79KdszOI&t=1165s
Slicking Up The Winchester 1873 - Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoaQ8UF3w7Q

1873 Marshal.jpg

I recently got the same 18" 44 mag rifle. Same terrible experience getting some screws loose. Seems random. Some were super hard, others normal. I still haven't gotten the endcap screw off the magazine tube...I even bought a specially made screw driver for it. Just bent the screw driver. I thought people were exagerating about how difficult Uberti screws were to loosen when new. They may have actually been understating the difficulty!  Love the gun though and super happy it holds 10 without modification. It also cycles 44 special without any problem.

Your adventures with the Uberti '73 rifle sure sound familiar. I recently acquired a Uberti 1851 Mason-Richards in 38 Special. I was from an estate, second hand, supposedly unfired and it looked like it may have not been fired. Unfortunately it had been fired, probably for one meet. Likely it was wiped down and put away. Fast forward a few years and the crud in the forcing cone and part way up the breach had captured enough moisture to initiate some pretty deep corrosion. That was just part of the fun. The arbor was loose, and the wedge was in far enough to let the cylinder touch the barrel. I've spent the last 3 days doing some fitting to get that to the point where I can shoot it. The first 10 test shots all had pierced primers. I worked on that in stages, one of the steps was to reduce the hammer spring force, and the other was shaping of the firing pin and shortening it a wee bit at a time. I worked down from CCI SPM, to CCI SP and eventually to Fed SP. By the time I got to the Feds, I was getting good at looking at the marks on the primer and that only took a bit of touch up to tune in. 

It will never run lead free IMHO, but it is close. I've used some PC bullets and they run clean enough, as did some 358156 with gas checks, and some fairly hard 358477 weren't all that bad either. This will likely be a firearm with its own ammo, the chambers are all tight, my normal load expands the case close to 0.380". 

The project is keeping me busy, in addition to the firearm I'm working on a old Tru-Line Jr set up for loading 38 Spl. This gives me the opportunity to pick components to match the firearm and fine tune the dies and set-up. 

But to the point, we as a shooting group should be demanding a bit better quality from the clone manufacturers, just saying. 

BB

• 3 weeks later...

Archived