SASS Wire Forum

Introducing the State Record Stage and Illinois State Record Holder Award: Illinois State Championship Aug 18-20, 2023

Popcorn Kelly

Merry Christmas from the frigid upper-Midwest and home of Illowa Irregulars. 

Illowa Irregulars are excited to announce two new developments that will be offered at the 2023 Illinois State Cowboy Action Shooting Championship: The State Record Stage and the Illinois State Record Holder Award.  The State Record Stage will be used to identify the Illinois State Record Holder – the Illinois shooter in each category who has the fastest time on State Record Stage during the 2023 Illinois State Championship (i.e., sets the state record).  Award winners will receive a pin, similar to what’s shown at the end of this email, for having set the Illinois State Record and will hold the state record until their time is bested at a future Illinois State Championship. We believe this will add a new, fun dimension to the 2023 Illinois State Championship.

The State Record Stage is a fun, fast stage and is a pleasure to shoot. Click here to download a copy of the State Record Stage. 

We created a video describing the State Record Stage, its origins and history, and what shooters will need to do so set the State Record.  Click here (or on the video shown below) to view the video. 

As described in the video, we modeled the State Record Stage after the World Record Stage, but with the following key differences:

1. The State Record Stage uses closer target distances to better reflect today’s target distances and to make it suitable for use at a State Championship match. For example, the World Record stage sets rifle targets at 54 feet, pistol targets at 21 feet, and shotgun targets at 30 feet, distances we felt would be inappropriate to use in a State Championship. Instead, the Illinois Standard Record Stage sets rifle targets at 27 feet, pistol targets at 12 feet, and shotgun targets at 18 feet – distances much more appropriate for a State Championship.
  2. Each shooter is allowed to select the gun order they feel allows them to shoot their best time (rifle must not be last). This is a change from the World Record stage which requires gun order to be Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun.
  3. Unlike the World Record which allows shooters several attempts, the State Record Stage will be set up as a stage during the 2023 Championship match. This means shooters have one opportunity to set the state record – when they shoot the stage at the Illinois State Championship match. This is consistent with most sporting events (e.g., Olympic records can only be set during Olympic competitions, etc.). This also eliminates the need to video record the shooter as required for the World Record, since each attempt will occur at a State Championship, observed by a Timer Operator, and witnessed by three Spotters.  
  4. Just as only Illinois residents are eligible to be an Illinois Champion, only Illinois residents will be eligible to set the Illinois State Record. However, non-Illinois Residents will be eligible to set a new Illowa Irregular Club record during the Championship match.

Several Illinois cowboys/ cowgirls will go home from the 2023 Championship recognized as holding the state record in their shooting category.  If you are from Illinois, it could be you and/or someone you know. We also believe there will be some unexpected surprises along the way.  If you’re not from Illinois, don’t worry – you’ll have an opportunity to set an Illowa Irregulars’ Club Record.  Those that do will also receive a pin. 

As mentioned above, Illowa Irregulars will use this stage to establish our local “Club” records. We encourage you and other clubs to do the same.  Click here to download a copy of the State Record stage.

If you've not done so already, it's never too early to get your Illinois State Championship registrations in. 3 days of shooting fun, an optional Saturday evening dinner cruise on the Mississippi River aboard an old-fashioned riverboat, and now an opportunity to set a stage record. 

The Illinois State Championship is scheduled from August 18-20, 2023. Click here for more information and to download a registration form. We are pleased to announce we are now offering an on-line payment option in addition to our regular paper form.

If you are unfamiliar with our area, the Quad Cities area is conveniently located near the juncture of Interstates 80 and 74 on Illinois' border with Iowa.  There are many hotels and restaurants within a few minutes' drive from our range.  If you're looking for something to do in August, take a look here.  

As always, hopefully our paths will cross one day, perhaps at the 2023 Illinois State Championship!

Popcorn Kelly, Co-Match Director, 2023 Illinois State Championship

Illowa Irregulars Cowboy Action Shooting Club

Milan, Illinois

Email:  illowairregulars@gmail.com

I

The statement "If you’re not from Illinois, don’t worry – you’ll have an opportunity to set an Illowa Irregulars’ Club Record.  Those that do will also receive a pin." suggests to me that nonresidents have an opportunity to become involved in this.  The way I read it is that both residents and nonresidents will be given the chance to be recognized.  Based on past conversations on the Wire, isn't this what most shooters want?

Popcorn - I'm still a newbie at this game but am pretty tempted to sign up.  Looks like fun.

I’m not criticizing! I’m used to speed records being open for all to win. For example, the speed rifle winner is typically whoever shot the fastest time without regard for whether they’re a resident of the state. Having said that I would still participate if I were in the area next August.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Seems like a cool idea, though a bit surprising that only an Illinois resident can set the record.  

If I understood the video correctly only an Illinois resident can set the Illinois State record but anyone is eligible for the Club record?

Randy 

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Is it "stand and deliver"? 

Yes, it is a stand and deliver stage just like the world record stage, just with closer targets and the shooter gets to select the gun order that suits them best.

PK

2 hours ago, Shawnee Hills said:

The statement "If you’re not from Illinois, don’t worry – you’ll have an opportunity to set an Illowa Irregulars’ Club Record.  Those that do will also receive a pin." suggests to me that nonresidents have an opportunity to become involved in this.  The way I read it is that both residents and nonresidents will be given the chance to be recognized.  Based on past conversations on the Wire, isn't this what most shooters want?

Popcorn - I'm still a newbie at this game but am pretty tempted to sign up.  Looks like fun.

Shawnee, your understanding is correct - we are also establishing a Club Record so that anyone can set and hold a record regardless of state residency.  It should be an interesting and fun twist. I'd like to see other states adopt the stage and use it in their state championship match as well.  

From a personal perspective, way back when I was in high school, I held the school record in the two-mile run for a few years.  It was a small, meaningless success (in the scheme of life), but I still have fond memories of it.  My hope is that this provides others an opportunity for a similar sense of pride.  Fleeting pride, to be sure, but still . . . it's nice to be able to say, "I held the record."  

PK

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

If I understood the video correctly only an Illinois resident can set the Illinois State record but anyone is eligible for the Club record?

Randy 

Randy,

Yes, everyone is eligible to set the Club Record.  They will hold the club record until someone comes along and betters it.  

PK

33 minutes ago, Popcorn Kelly said:

Yes, it is a stand and deliver stage just like the world record stage, just with closer targets and the shooter gets to select the gun order that suits them best.

PK

Never heard of The World Record Stage, must be a regional thing.

4 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I like the way you have it set up especially that the stage is shot as part of the match and you can't shoot it 10 times.

Thanks, Smokin Gator.  As I said in my video, the one and done nature of the stage is probably my favorite change of the three key changes we made from the World Record Stage. 

Archived