SASS Wire Forum

I think it's time for a truck

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go test drive a Subaru Outback. ;)

That was the wife's last car. Great car. Unfortunately it only lasted 215,000 miles. 

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The only problem with Subaru is their price! :o

I thought the same thing until I owned one. 144,000 mi and when you shut the door it still sounds like the refrigerator. My Subaru is in better shape right now than my last Buick was at 70,000. It Still drives like a new car. I’m not saying they are completely problem free “none are” but go on a Subaru forum and see what people are complaining about. It’s mostly ergonomics and design, then go to other forums for awd cars or even front wheel drive cars. My experience has been total cost of ownership has been lower because I’m not always fixing things. I owned GM products my whole life and I won’t be going back anytime soon. For me it’s been the buy once cry once experience. 

Dad never lied to me... told me when I was about 8 or 9, a "man" should never be without a pickup... I've overcompensated, I have 3!  A 4WD farm/work/vacation truck;  a 2WD grocery getter;  and a hot rod, also 2WD.  But I also have 2, 2dr coupes.  Nothing less than 17 years old, so I can work on 'em.  

All I will say is we have had 6 Hyundais, and everyone has been handed down to family. They are fantastic vehicles, especially the Santa Fes. We have had 4 of those and the current one is gonna be here for a while.

I'm such a flaky person! I've decided to keep my Encore for maybe another year. It's a really dependable vehicle, not too great in snow but this was a bad storm we had. I've had this car for 5 years, bought it new in 2017, and have never had a problem in the snow until this horrible storm!:angry:

Thanks for all the suggestions though, much obliged.B)

33 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm such a flaky person! 

You said it, I didn't.

See you at Niles Thursday?

12 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

You said it, I didn't.

See you at Niles Thursday?

Hey now!!!:lol:

No I won’t be there Thursday but hopefully the 2nd Saturday 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm such a flaky person! I've decided to keep my Encore for maybe another year. It's a really dependable vehicle, not too great in snow but this was a bad storm we had. I've had this car for 5 years, bought it new in 2017, and have never had a problem in the snow until this horrible storm!:angry:

I think you made the right choice.  Personally I'm not buying anything made between 2019 and about 2025.  Covid has caused a lot of quality problems in way too many products.

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I think you made the right choice.  Personally I'm not buying anything made between 2019 and about 2025.  Covid has caused a lot of quality problems in way too many products.

Wow good point! Never thought of that!

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He finally stated what we ALL know :lol:

Hey hey, cut that out!!:P

On 12/24/2022 at 3:17 PM, Sixgun Seamus said:

Kay has a 2020 Ford Escape Titanium AWD. Had it 2 winters now and never had a problem getting around. The type of tire you have make a huge difference. We have a long uphill driveway that likes to drift over. We never had a problem and I don't plow the drive and rarely dig it out. My front wheel drive company cars sat at the bottom of the drive quite often. My F150 has no problems either. 

Who are you kidding you need a rock crawler to get up your drive in the summer!

01-christian hazel dodge ramcharger johnson valley rockcrawling

34 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Who are you kidding you need a rock crawler to get up your drive in the summer!

01-christian hazel dodge ramcharger johnson valley rockcrawling

Fixed it. Smoother than the Interstate. 

On 12/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The official Colorado state animal. I love mine.

Now it depends on what you need the vehicle for. If you’re hauling, get a pickup. If you’re going off road, a 4x4. For general all season transportation, reliability, trade in value, and good mileage I chose the Subaru. Thinking about getting a Wilderness model next.

I am having truck withdrawals. I gave my Grandson my truck last year and I sure miss having a truck. 

The prices on new trucks are just stupid and everyone selling used ones think they all crap gold bricks or something. Annoying as hell. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am having truck withdrawals. I gave my Grandson my truck last year and I sure miss having a truck. 

The prices on new trucks are just stupid and everyone selling used ones think they all crap gold bricks or something. Annoying as hell. 

That’s why i still have my 2000 F250, although I drive it much less these days.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:50 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I beg to differ.  My ex had one.  It got about 15 mpg and was dead slow up any kind of hill.  If it only got crappy fuel mileage or got good mileage but was slow, I would have been a lot more tolerant of it.

My wife has a Toyota Rav4 and while I'm generally not a fan of Japanese cars, especially not Toyotas with their cheap interiors, as far as fuel economy, performance, traction, and ground clearance, I find it hard to believe that there is anything else out there that could deliver like that thing does.  Hers is a 2011 and we plan to keep it for another 10 years at least.

That said, I'd rather have a set of snow tires than AWD if I lived in a place that really got a lot of snow.  Ideally I'd have both, but if I could only choose one or the other, give me the good tires and a FWD car/crossover over the AWD with all seasons.

23 minutes ago, El Chapo said:

I beg to differ.  My ex had one.  It got about 15 mpg and was dead slow up any kind of hill.  If it only got crappy fuel mileage or got good mileage but was slow, I would have been a lot more tolerant of it.

My wife has a Toyota Rav4 and while I'm generally not a fan of Japanese cars, especially not Toyotas with their cheap interiors, as far as fuel economy, performance, traction, and ground clearance, I find it hard to believe that there is anything else out there that could deliver like that thing does.  Hers is a 2011 and we plan to keep it for another 10 years at least.

That said, I'd rather have a set of snow tires than AWD if I lived in a place that really got a lot of snow.  Ideally I'd have both, but if I could only choose one or the other, give me the good tires and a FWD car/crossover over the AWD with all seasons.

Then you needed to have it ck'd out.

We easily get 25+ mpg, and I don't drive slow.

Have all the power we need(non-turbo).

On 12/24/2022 at 5:29 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

On 12/25/2022 at 12:50 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I bought a Subaru WRX when I lived in Colorado.  Great cars and superior AWD system in my opinion.  One thing they lack is clearance.  I also noticed while living in Colorado that many people think 4WD/AWD also means their vehicle will stop better on snow and ice, not true.

1 hour ago, El Chapo said:

15mpg??

My 2018 outback gets 32.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then you needed to have it ck'd out.

We easily get 25+ mpg, and I don't drive slow.

Have all the power we need(non-turbo).

Agreed, we used to get that as well. Ours was an '08 and my biggest gripe was 120K maintenance which was head gaskets, water pump, and timingbelt/chain. It didn't make another 90K before the head gaskets were leaking again, they leak oil or anti freeze depending on how much they like you! A friend's leaked anti freeze and didn't fix it...... hydraulic lock ended it's existence. We traded ours! 

But aside from all the constant other maintenance, it was a nice car for our needs here in Vermont. Hopefully some of their repair issues have been resolved in the new models. 

MY 1997 Ford Explorer just keeps on chugging..I just replace whatever wears out.  I put on new shocks this July.

I added 5,000 miles just for shooting matches this summer.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

More speed, bust the drift if it isn't iced over.  Anything can get hung up in the right conditions.

Bob…just got a quote on a Wilderness edition today actually, 37,700 which included a wireless charger, rear cargo protector, auto dimming side mirrors, and maybe some other small accessory.  MSRP was 40,550 so nice to see them come down a bit.  

i need a new truck , my 05 youkon is on its downhill slide , still running fine but the salt is getting to her , there are idiot lights i can no longer turn off /fix , i want a replacement but i really have liked this truck , i keep saying one more season , was saying one more year , i just dont want to start all over getting used to and comfortable with another , i love this truck ...got a great tent that fits the back and everything 

7 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i need a new truck , my 05 youkon is on its downhill slide , still running fine but the salt is getting to her , there are idiot lights i can no longer turn off /fix , i want a replacement but i really have liked this truck , i keep saying one more season , was saying one more year , i just dont want to start all over getting used to and comfortable with another , i love this truck ...got a great tent that fits the back and everything 

Electrical tape on the indicator will shut off the lights.

i wish you were here to show me where to put it , they are irritating , i learned to drive before there were many idiot lights , i check the oil and the coolant , i know how to brake on ice or drive on it , im OK with the ABS not working , im fine with checking the air bag and the knock sensors not working , 

i could do without power steering and power breaks because tats how i started , but my truck is runnun fine and i dont want to give it up yet , but i know im in need of new soon , too old to deal with all the issues 

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

More speed, bust the drift if it isn't iced over.  Anything can get hung up in the right conditions.

Yea you’re right mire speed woukd have got me through maybe but I don’t have enough room from the garage to the street to get much speed going. 
My driveway was plowed the night before and looked great. The high winds created a huge snowdrift overnite. First time in 5 years I got stuck. 

14 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I remember a class mate trying that when I was in high school. Was working well till he hit a drift that worked more like a ramp till the truck broke through.  Took him and his copilot 3 hours to dig it out with scoop shovels. 

With new cars I'd be afraid to ram a drift. Lots of plastic to break and you might set off the airbags.

Archived