SASS Wire Forum

I think it's time for a truck

Rye Miles #13621

We had about 4" of snow, had my driveway plowed last night and this morning I got stuck in my own darn driveway in a huge snowdrift! The wind messed up my freshly plowed driveway. 2017 Buick Encore FWD only. It's great little vehicle, rides nice, quiet,  great gas mileage but it's light and gets stuck in deep snow easily! 

I'm thinking of a bigger SUV, like a GMC Terrain, Ford Edge, Toyota, Honda, Subaru???? Maybe a F150??

Suggestions? 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chev 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab ... 5.3 liter or if new the new 4 cylinder Turbo gas ... 

Merry Christmas Rye...

Jabez Cowboy

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We had about 4" of snow, had my driveway plowed last night and this morning I got stuck in my own darn driveway in a huge snowdrift! The wind messed up my freshly plowed driveway. 2017 Buick Encore FWD only. It's great little vehicle, rides nice, quiet,  great gas mileage but it's light and gets stuck in deep snow easily! 

I'm thinking of a bigger SUV, like a GMC Terrain, Ford Edge, Toyota, Honda, Subaru???? Maybe a F150??

Suggestions? 

Be careful about pickups in snow.  I have a 2021 F250 Super Duty that is so light in the rear end that it slides, loses traction, and stops on my 5% slope driveway with 2" of hard packed snow. That is with M&S tires and cleat chains on the rear.  I have to put chains on all 4 wheels and run in Low 4wd to get up the driveway, unless I have 600#or so of added weight in the rear of the bed, which then affects steering.  If you don't need the open truck bed, an SUV might be a more reliable choice. 

Used car prices are on the plummet as things have finally changed.  There are some very good new car deals now and end of year is an incentive for dealers to turn.  Rates are high so if financing and car company offers 0 percent or low financing it might be better than a rebate.

I like to value shop…find the best deals out there and then find the best one of those that fits needs.  I find it easier to make less emotional decisions that way as it’s not something you “need”.

2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Be careful about pickups in snow.  I have a 2021 F250 Super Duty that is so light in the rear end that it slides, loses traction, and stops on my 5% slope driveway with 2" of hard packed snow. That is with M&S tires and cleat chains on the rear.  I have to put chains on all 4 wheels and run in Low 4wd to get up the driveway, unless I have 600#or so of added weight in the rear of the bed, which then affects steering.  If you don't need the open truck bed, an SUV might be a more reliable choice. 

Try 2 inner tubes filled with about 100 lbs of sand directly over the rear axle. Make sure they cannot slide around. Too much weight is counter productive as it increases momentum in the rear too much and as you stated it affects steering.

I found a 4WD only needs chains on the front. Chains on the rear didn't contribute much to overall traction.

If you get a pick get a 4x4 or a good limited slip rear end 2x4 and toss some sand bags or railroad tie chunks in the bed for weight. Rhino Liner or Line-X in the bed adds weight as well and you have excellent bed protection. 

I have been looking at trucks for a while now and I just can’t believe the stupid high prices on both new and used. 

Seriously considering an SUV in AWD and if I need a truck I would just rent a U-haul pickup. 

So you may laugh but I like the looks of the Hyundai Santa Cruz.  Car amenities with a utility bed….We have a new Palisade which is a fantastic vehicle.  If you don’t need the turbo they are fairly reasonable and provide some utility.

Honda Ridgeline wouldn’t be bad either but get into full size truck prices if you add some options.

can’t beat their warranty.  The same equipment as my 23 Palisade would have cost 20-30k more on any other brand.  

My wife’s Encore with all-wheel drive does well in the slop, although we use the Jeep when it gets really bad, which isn’t very often. If you tend to get more than 4” of snow at a time, ground clearance becomes an issue. Some of the crossover SUVs don’t have much. 

Kay has a 2020 Ford Escape Titanium AWD. Had it 2 winters now and never had a problem getting around. The type of tire you have make a huge difference. We have a long uphill driveway that likes to drift over. We never had a problem and I don't plow the drive and rarely dig it out. My front wheel drive company cars sat at the bottom of the drive quite often. My F150 has no problems either. 

Have had 2 different Chevy Suburban 4WD and they went thru heavy snow, mud, good traction on ice (if you know how to drive on icy roads) and never let me down.  The long wheel base and extra weight in back make it better than a pickup.  I now have 2019 GMC 1500 Crew Cab 4WD and it doesn't have as good traction on bad road conditions as the Suburban.   

I had a 2003 Mazda Tribute front wheel drive when I first moved to St Louis in 2013.  The first thing I did that winter was get a good set of snow tires for it, and as others have said, added a little bit of weight to the rear end to help in the snow.  I survived snowmageddon with that car with no issues.  

Well, if you just want a new vehicle...

Otherwise, ask yourself how many times you have gotten stuck and is a new vehicle worth that cost?

I really like the looks of the Hyundai Santa Cruz and Santa Fe - depending on whether you would want to go truck-ish or SUV.

The 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV AWD currently has three recalls.

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Gas 

My hunting partners are having good luck with their Dodge Ram pick-ups.

I've had good luck with Dodge Caravans and the inside carrying space on trips North carrying gear and a moose or two.

In the off season, they were great to carry Sherron's wheelchair or walker.

I’m thinking about a GMC Terrain AWD 2019 Certified used car 40 k miles.

My Encore is a 2017 with 80k , I could get it for around 10k and my car. Hmmm

growing up in Vermont on top of a hill with dirt roads for miles and a 1800 ft driveway means I have always owned 4x4 trucks, I have now owned at least one of each and multiples of a couple brands but my last truck is a Toyota Tundra and traction wise its like the 4x4's from 30 years ago, the damn thing just digs in and goes, I have never had a truck get this good of traction, the only real complaint about the truck is the gas mileage but now im retired I dont put on 15k a year so i am good with that and they built it right down in Texas and im good with that as well !

I am a pickup kinda guy , got 2 4dr F150 , 1 4wd , the other 2 wheel , a "76 Xbody Ford exacab , a Ranger Xcab 

A 78 , Dodge 150 , and a 54 Chevy 5 window , 3100 . I have camper shells on most , 

1 of the F150s has a hard fiberglass tanto cover , the other is open bed , as is the 54 Chevy 

150 or so lbs over the rear axle make the rear better in snow and ICE 

CB 

I have a 2018 Ford F150 with the 4 door cab and 4WD. So far [60k miles] it has been great and the few times needing the 4WD it performed very well. Extremely comfortable, it is our preferred trip-mobile.

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go test drive a Subaru Outback. ;)

That’s on my short list!

Our ranch is in Island Park, Idaho, the coldest and snowiest in Idaho. All vehicles have 4whd.

I lived in LakeGeneva, Wisconsin and took the commuter train to Chicago. I used  a Chevrolet Blazer to get to train station.

I retired and am back in Idaho. I have had good luck with a Ford Explorer. I had a 4whd Toyota but a Pakistani Canadian semi driver tried to hit me head on and totalled it. 

I haven't had a 2whd for decades.

Up here in Canada, we Know Snow... A heavy diesel or a big Cube Gas engine means you need to put extra weight in the bed to compensate for the extra weight up front....   Limited Slip in the rear helps...  And good tires are a must, not all off-road tires are good tires ... Toyo M-55s are great...

Jabez Cowboy

Keep in mind that all 4wd vehicles are not created equally. Some AWD vehicles will only supply power to 1 or 2 wheels at most. The AWD design requires 3 differentials. How well it is designed will determine how well it does transferring power to the wheels.

Back in the 70s, a 4wd that required you to lock the hubs would apply power to at least 2 wheels. Add limited slip differentials and you could possibly get all 4 to actually spin. The full time 4wd might only spin 1 tire.

Jeeps had the quadratrak drive train back then. It was pretty good at getting power to more than 1 wheel.

Definitely drive and feel the Terrain and its quality before purchase.

one sleeper brand that has been putting out great products is Mazda.  They have some luxurious and fun to drive SUVs with upscale interiors and are great looking.  Their newer CX-50 is nice.  

So much to choose from.   Also one thing I like to look at when purchasing is what the vehicle i just bought would be worth if I went to trade it in just after buying it.  By looking up that value it can really show apples to apples if you are looking at your current and prospective used cars values.  For instance if yours books at 15k and the new “used” one books at 20k and it’s going to cost 10k and your current vehicle to get there, you now have paid 25k for a 20k vehicle.  

Ive bought several new vehicles since the start of the pandemic…believe it to be 5….all at or under MSRP by being patient, calling around, and not giving in.  I have sold 3 vehicles to dealers during this same time (not counting trades) one at a break even after driving it 2.5 years, one truck at a gain, and one car at 400 under what I paid but they were all newer.  

It amazes me to watch people pay the same or more for an used vehicle because they don’t want to wait a month for a new one…I would never pay 40k for example for a 35k MSRP vehicle either….I would just go find a 40k vehicle I could purchase for 40k or less.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Known as the "Vermont state car" :D

21 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Definitely drive and feel the Terrain and its quality before purchase.

one sleeper brand that has been putting out great products is Mazda.  They have some luxurious and fun to drive SUVs with upscale interiors and are great looking.  Their newer CX-50 is nice.  

So much to choose from.   Also one thing I like to look at when purchasing is what the vehicle i just bought would be worth if I went to trade it in just after buying it.  By looking up that value it can really show apples to apples if you are looking at your current and prospective used cars values.  For instance if yours books at 15k and the new “used” one books at 20k and it’s going to cost 10k and your current vehicle to get there, you now have paid 25k for a 20k vehicle.  

Ive bought several new vehicles since the start of the pandemic…believe it to be 5….all at or under MSRP by being patient, calling around, and not giving in.  I have sold 3 vehicles to dealers during this same time (not counting trades) one at a break even after driving it 2.5 years, one truck at a gain, and one car at 400 under what I paid but they were all newer.  

It amazes me to watch people pay the same or more for an used vehicle because they don’t want to wait a month for a new one…I would never pay 40k for example for a 35k MSRP vehicle either….I would just go find a 40k vehicle I could purchase for 40k or less.

I’ve driven a friend’s Terrain and I like it. Perfect size. I like the ride and handling but I’m checking out some others as well.

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Keep in mind that all 4wd vehicles are not created equally. Some AWD vehicles will only supply power to 1 or 2 wheels at most. The AWD design requires 3 differentials. How well it is designed will determine how well it does transferring power to the wheels.

Back in the 70s, a 4wd that required you to lock the hubs would apply power to at least 2 wheels. Add limited slip differentials and you could possibly get all 4 to actually spin. The full time 4wd might only spin 1 tire.

Jeeps had the quadratrak drive train back then. It was pretty good at getting power to more than 1 wheel.

Subaru have selectable 4WD modes. Just push a button.

One puts drive to all 4 wheels and acts like a locking rear diff.

7 hours ago, JD Lud said:

So you may laugh but I like the looks of the Hyundai Santa Cruz.  Car amenities with a utility bed….We have a new Palisade which is a fantastic vehicle.  If you don’t need the turbo they are fairly reasonable and provide some utility.

Honda Ridgeline wouldn’t be bad either but get into full size truck prices if you add some options.

can’t beat their warranty.  The same equipment as my 23 Palisade would have cost 20-30k more on any other brand.  

I like the looks of that Santa Cruz as well. I just wish the cargo bed was a bit longer. 

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That’s my wife’s car and when it wears out she wants another. 140,000 and no major issues so far. IMHO it’s ugly but it’s a great awd system, very sure footed, comfortable for 4 adults and some luggage. I’m a truck guy but gotta admit it’s a great passenger car. 

Archived