SASS Wire Forum

Christmas Greetings Thread

Merry Christmas, My Friend

by

Corporal James M. Schmidt

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, In a one bedroom house made of plaster & stone.

I had come down the chimney, with presents to give and to see just who in this home did live

As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see, no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree. No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand. On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.

With medals and badges, awards of all kind, a sobering thought soon came to my mind. For this house was different, unlike any I'd seen. This was the home of a U.S. Marine.

I'd heard stories about them, I had to see more, so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door. And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone, Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.

He seemed so gentle, his face so serene, Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine. Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read? Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?

His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan. I soon understood, this was more than a man. For I realized the families that I saw that night, owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.

Soon around the Nation, the children would play, And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day. They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year, because of Marines like this one lying here.

I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone, on a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home. Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye. I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.

He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice, "Santa, don't cry, this life is my choice I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more. My life is my God, my country, my Corps."

With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep, I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.

I watched him for hours, so silent and still. I noticed he shivered from the cold night's chill. So I took off my jacket, the one made of red, and covered this Marine from his toes to his head. Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold, with an eagle, globe and anchor emblazoned so bold. And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride, and for one shining moment, I was Marine Corps deep inside.

I didn't want to leave him so quiet in the night, this guardian of honor so willing to fight. But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure, said "Carry on, Santa, it's Christmas Day, all secure." One look at my watch and I knew he was right, Merry Christmas my friend,

Semper Fi and goodnight.

James M. Schmidt, who was a Lance Corporal stationed in Washington, DC wrote this poem in December, 1986. While serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th and I in Washington, DC under Commandant P.X. Kelly and Battalion Commander D.J. Myers, Schmidt wrote this poem to hang on the door of the Gym in the BEQ. When Colonel Myers came upon it, he read it and immediately had copies sent to each department at the Barracks and promptly dismissed the entire Battalion early for Christmas leave. The poem was placed that day in the Marine Corps Gazette, distributed worldwide and later submitted to Leatherneck Magazine and was published in December, 1991. There have been many other versions, but this is the original version.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 

Semper Fidelis

33 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Feliz Navidad!  My wife and I just helped our neighbors line our street with farolitos.

image.png.c5b773e6c6b224d84f4e87b014b21b0a.png

I do miss those ever been to Chimayo at christmas ? Also loved old town in Alb at Christmas . Here Dont do much because I wouldnt see them for months some years and wind , and all anyone seems to do anymore is inflatables 

Simply, all the best to you all!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Hope you’re all warm, dry, healthy, and happy, safe and surrounded by friends and family!

Merry Christmas, Cowboys and Girls!  May your stockings be filled with ammo, primers, bullets, shot and whatever else you need in the coming New Year!  SB

2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Feliz Navidad!  My wife and I just helped our neighbors line our street with farolitos.

image.png.c5b773e6c6b224d84f4e87b014b21b0a.png

They’re doing that in Durango tonight.

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They’re doing that in Durango tonight.

Someone lit ours while I was watching the end of the Eagles/Cowboys game.

image.thumb.png.c5a9769725a24d65a2232bec459c13a4.png

83D4BB6A-9BAC-425B-A7F4-4D484F44DAE0.jpeg

I received Christmas greetings from a friend in Novosibirsk, Russia. It included a picture of the family tree.  In the foreground are Ded Moroz and Snegurochka, Grandfather Frost and his granddaughter the Snow Maiden. Snegurochka is a diminutive of Snegurka and has no history in the mythology but entered the literature in the 19th century.

5C2420F0-5478-411A-913F-4CE0E676157A.jpeg

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Merry Christmas, My Friend

by

Corporal James M. Schmidt

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, In a one bedroom house made of plaster & stone.

I had come down the chimney, with presents to give and to see just who in this home did live

As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see, no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree. No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand. On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.

With medals and badges, awards of all kind, a sobering thought soon came to my mind. For this house was different, unlike any I'd seen. This was the home of a U.S. Marine.

I'd heard stories about them, I had to see more, so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door. And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone, Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.

He seemed so gentle, his face so serene, Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine. Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read? Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?

His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan. I soon understood, this was more than a man. For I realized the families that I saw that night, owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.

Soon around the Nation, the children would play, And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day. They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year, because of Marines like this one lying here.

I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone, on a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home. Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye. I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.

He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice, "Santa, don't cry, this life is my choice I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more. My life is my God, my country, my Corps."

With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep, I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.

I watched him for hours, so silent and still. I noticed he shivered from the cold night's chill. So I took off my jacket, the one made of red, and covered this Marine from his toes to his head. Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold, with an eagle, globe and anchor emblazoned so bold. And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride, and for one shining moment, I was Marine Corps deep inside.

I didn't want to leave him so quiet in the night, this guardian of honor so willing to fight. But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure, said "Carry on, Santa, it's Christmas Day, all secure." One look at my watch and I knew he was right, Merry Christmas my friend,

Semper Fi and goodnight.

OohRah! And, Merry Christmas to the Corps!

Merry Christmas, and since there are new hands around the fire, I suppose I will again post what has become an annual message for me.

I am sure that those who care to pay attention recognize that my religious beliefs are not the same as those of the vast majority of forum members. Either as a result of my comments on some threads, or as a result of my willingness to keep others in my thoughts and meditations in times of need. My beliefs are intensely personal to me, and are typically not something I discuss readily, outside of my immediate family and close friends.

Among family and friends, I have been asked why I celebrate Christmas, given my beliefs. Simply put, the answer is two-fold. First, Christmas to me is a cultural holiday. That is, it has, up until recently, been a holiday of commonality, where we Americans, coming from many and varied backgrounds, could find something that we could share, that could help us see similarities which bring us closer, rather than divide us, as a vocal few would have it do in this day and age. While we can all say "we are Americans," it is a tradition beyond that label that can help unite us if we so desire. I believe the importance of that is often overlooked.

Second, and, yes, more importantly, is the message of the season. Divinity aside (and I mean no offense in saying that), the message of Jesus is an important one. His message on how we treat one another as people, as brothers, is immensely important. Certain Buddhist sects recognize what is called a "bodhisattva," a person who has reached a stage of enlightenment, but chooses to remain here on earth in order to help others. Some liken Jesus to a bodhisattva, and the reason why can be clearly seen. Jesus was concerned first and foremost with his fellow man. Regardless of our faith, we can learn a lot from him. In that light, I see additional reason to recognize him, his birth, and to contemplate his message for us, of peace on earth.

So, with the above in mind, I sincerely wish all of you a very, Merry Christmas, and wish that you and yours find peace and happiness in the coming year.

Merry Christmas from the Square Circle Wranglers:

Clangity Jane, Red Storm and The Cold Lake Kid.

SCW Christmas.jpg

Archived