SASS Wire Forum

First pistol

Alpo

This is a question that comes up a lot. "I want to buy a gun for home defense, and you're a gun guy, so what would you recommend?"

For years my standard answer has been a medium frame six shot double action 357 revolver. The original point and click interface. Don't have to cock it, don't have to take the safety off, don't have to load the magazine. Just point it and pull the trigger. Easy peasy.

I was thinking about it this morning, and with the ammunition shortage I wonder if I should come up with a different suggestion.

It's like a few years ago, where as everyone knows you recommended 22 for people's first gun. No recoil, little noise, cheap to shoot. But a couple years ago 22s were impossible to find. It was a bad suggestion at that time.

It seems like, because of the ammunition availability, that if you were going to recommend a gun for somebody's only gun, it should be a 9 mm.

I don't like that suggestion, because first I'm a revolver guy :P and second you're back into the magazine and safety and levers and switches. WellWHILE I do not believe it is difficult for someone of average intelligence to learn how to handle an automatic pistol, I do believe that most people that are getting a gun for home defense are going to get it and load it and put it in the drawer. So you want something as simple as possible.

What would you recommend these days?

Strictly home defense? Remington 870, #4 buck. Something to take with you somewheres? A revolver is always a good choice, as it has been since the War Between the States. 

I carry a 1911 and home defense is my AR loaded with Hornady Vmax bullets. 

57 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This is a question that comes up a lot. "I want to buy a gun for home defense, and you're a gun guy, so what would you recommend?"

For years my standard answer has been a medium frame six shot double action 357 revolver. The original point and click interface. Don't have to cock it, don't have to take the safety off, don't have to load the magazine. Just point it and pull the trigger. Easy peasy.

I was thinking about it this morning, and with the ammunition shortage I wonder if I should come up with a different suggestion.

It's like a few years ago, where as everyone knows you recommended 22 for people's first gun. No recoil, little noise, cheap to shoot. But a couple years ago 22s were impossible to find. It was a bad suggestion at that time.

It seems like, because of the ammunition availability, that if you were going to recommend a gun for somebody's only gun, it should be a 9 mm.

I don't like that suggestion, because first I'm a revolver guy :P and second you're back into the magazine and safety and levers and switches. WellWHILE I do not believe it is difficult for someone of average intelligence to learn how to handle an automatic pistol, I do believe that most people that are getting a gun for home defense are going to get it and load it and put it in the drawer. So you want something as simple as possible.

What would you recommend these days?

Revolver is a good choice, it is what I used to teach girlfriends, and later my kids.  357 is a good because of the broad range of ammunition from target 38 all the way up to exotic full house magnums.  Six guns are fine but if they can afford and find one, a 7 or 8 shot can be an unpleasant surprise for someone bad,  For new folks, it is a K.I.S.S.  solution.

As a first handgun, I suggest a medium frame, 4 inch or so, 357- or a service size 9mm if they have to have a bottomfeeder.  

I don't mention brands or models beyond the suggestion to find one that is reputable and known to be reliable since what works in my hand may be the worst option in yours.  It needs to be big enough to shoot easily without being so big that it's too much of a chore.  I figure a first handgun needs to be something that they can use for home defense effectively if necessary and still be used to develop their handgunning skills. 

When folks ask me specifically about a home defense gun, I suggest a shotgun or PCC (either a lever action in revolver calibers or a bottom feeder that uses pistol mags) rather than a handgun if they have little to no experience with firearms.  Long guns are easier to use effectively and accurately for the new shooter than a handgun since there's 3 points of contact, a longer sight radius and much better sights, they are heavier so they have a reduced recoil in the case of the PCC and- if nothing else- they are handier clubs than a handgun.

I prefer to take them to the range with a selection of my own guns and see what they prefer.  I have enough of a selection that they should be able to pick something.  

That said, the primary factor I stress is that there is no free lunch, that small guns are easy to carry, but harder to hit with, kick more and/or are of lower power.  Big guns with high capacity magazines are heavy, and usually have square parts that dig into flesh.  Medium sized guns seem to work better for most people.  I've had several decide on revolvers with concealed hammers, such as the 642 S&W.  

Primary home defense:

Pump 12 ga with turkey loads

or any handgun you are comfortable in shooting and can manipulate in the darkness and will not go through multiple walls and hit something or someone outside of your home.

Ok, a non-gun person asking for advice on a first gun that will be primarily for home defense.

A non-gun person.

Still a .357 revolver.  Home defense means confined spaces (narrow hallway and door way), corners, closed interior doors, and other obstacles.  I think that it is easier to learn to use a handgun in cramped spaces than a rifle or shotgun.   Also a handgun is easier to use one handed.  Think about having to open or close doors, hold a phone, hold a flashlight.   It's easier to learn to use a handgun inside an ordinary house than a rifle or shotgun.  At most home defense ranges a shotgun doesn't offer much advantage as far as aiming.  How much does the shot spread in 4 or 5 yards?  

I know, I know, the one in ten million scenario where you have two score home invaders on PCP coming in through every door and window and you must have a SAW to stand any chance of survival.  In which case you're pretty well screwed no matter what.

9mm semi auto, ammo is fairly cheap, so they can practice with it and get used to it. I prefer a .357 revolver my self which I have several around the house but then I reload!

If it has to be a pistol then a revolver for sure. Any caliber except rimfire.

With a little work ammo can be found. Practice ammo is relatively inexpensive.

More I think about it, one of those tactical lever guns in .357, 44 Mag, or 45 Colt with a 16 in barrel. Effective and significantly less recoil than a 12 gauge.

Install quality red dot plus a quality laser pointer type sight. Easy to handle and aim. 

Eliminate iron sights all together. In low light conditions too many people will focus on getting the sights aligned vs point shooting like a shotgun. 

S & W Mod. 25 in .45 Colt, simple easy to use and I always have plenty of ammo in this caliber ... Weight makes it easyer to handle the recoil, not that that is an issue here... Muzzle blast is a lot less than the .357mag... 

Or my 18 inch barreled 1887 with number 4 shot... or my 1892 in .45 Colt...

Jabez Cowboy  

For a beginner who has little interest in practicing or using a gun for anything but home defense.

Glock 17 or perhaps the Steyr M9A1.  I think the Steyr points better and is better suited for smaller hands.  Both are more than accurate & reliable enough for home defense purposes.  The more I hear and read, I'm leaning toward recommending a handgun with a dot on it for home defense.  I base this on a chat I had with a retired LEO who sometimes teaches at a police academy.  Based on what he said to me, more and more police departments are issuing a duty weapon already equipped with a dot.

For a long gun, either a pistol caliber carbine (maybe the Ruger PC9) or a semi-auto shotgun.  There are a number of semi-auto shotguns that will run 100% with decent ammo.  A pump is for a more experienced shooter who has put in the time to build up enough muscle memory to where they don't short stroke the shotgun and jam it up.  I've seen too many shooters, cowboy or otherwise, who get empty hulls hanging up in the gun because they haven't racked the gun hard enough to eject the hull.

If the person lives in an apartment, condo or some other situation where over penetration is a major concern, I'd recommend the shotgun first because there are more ammo options for a shotgun that will stop the attacker without over penetrating and hurting a relative or neighbor.

On edit:

I've been shooting action matches (plates, bowling pins and the local equivalents of IDPA & IPSC) at the local level for almost 30 years and most shooters can't shoot a full sized DA revolver worth a damn and forget a J framed sized revolver.  While the revolver MAY jam less often than a semi-auto pistol, a revolver jam usually locks up the gun and can't be cleared in a hurry or without tools.

I would first have to ask myself, "Does this person have the ability to actually defend themselves with lethal force?" If I don't know the person in question, which you usually aren't a longtime friend of, and the question, as it almost always is, is a theoretical question...I'd say shotgun w/actual introduction to the gun by a professional instructor and real trigger time.

So long as the person is comfortable and deliberate, I really don't care what firearm that they choose to employ...including rimfire. I don't know of anyone that would enjoy a 1/4", or larger, hole in them. Any deterrence is better than no deterrence.

Howdy,

9mm revolver....see the folks at Ruger.   LCR comes several flavors.

Moon clips for five at a time.

Keep spare loaded moon clips in an empty med bottle.

Smith makes em tooo.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Had the absolute twin of this years ago.  wish I could recall any distinguishing marks, but I can't.  Wasn't in my areas of interest, so I traded it.  More than 13 years ago,

How do you cap one of them?

You know, you cap a Colt or a Remington by bringing the single action hammer back to halfcock, which allows you to spin the cylinder.

But that thing has a double action hammer. Double action only - no pull it back and leave it cocked ability.

I've never handled one - just seen pictures of them. And I can't figure out how you cap one. I've asked on a few boards, but nobody seems to know. Or at least if they do know, they don't want to tell me.

Just now, Alpo said:

How do you cap one of them?

You know, you cap a Colt or a Remington by bringing the single action hammer back to halfcock, which allows you to spin the cylinder.

But that thing has a double action hammer. Double action only - no pull it back and leave it cocked ability.

I've never handled one - just seen pictures of them. And I can't figure out how you cap one. I've asked on a few boards, but nobody seems to know. Or at least if they do know, they don't want to tell me.

There is a scalloped cut out  at about 2 o'clock on the flash shield.  Never shot that one.

I've seen that in pictures, so I figured that was where you put the cap on. But how do you rotate the barrels? You got barrel number one lined up with that notch, and you put a cap on it. Now how do you get barrel number two lined up with that notch?

I used to try and help folks out with the “What should I get for home defense? I don’t have a gun and very little experience.” Questions. Now, I give them the address of a range that rents guns and has training available unless they are family. 

So many times I have gone out of my way supplying guns, ammo, basic training and time only to end up wasting time and resources and the person either decides not to buy a gun or they go and buy something completely different from what we discussed and they had decided on. 

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've seen that in pictures, so I figured that was where you put the cap on. But how do you rotate the barrels? You got barrel number one lined up with that notch, and you put a cap on it. Now how do you get barrel number two lined up with that notch?

Can't recall, got rid of it many years ago.  Basically it was a glorified paperweight on my desk before that.

As other's have said, different people require different guns.

For example, Shootin Sharyn has limited experience with guns, but is pretty proficient with her Ruger cowboy revolvers.  She's had significant issues with semi-autos and seems to be able to jam pretty much any of them. Her carry is a S&W J frame, which she shoots similarly to her Rugers, cocking with the off thumb for a single action trigger pull.  

I grew up around guns with the 1911 being the one I shot most often.  I like to carry a Colt Commander.  Having said that, and in all modesty, I feel proficient with most any gun once I've shot it a few times, so my carry gun could vary from a Bond Derringer to a Springfield Hellcat RDP to my Commander depending upon weather and where I'm going. If I could only have one it would be the Commander.

For an inexperienced shooter of decent stature who lives alone I would recommend a 12 gauge semi-auto.  For an inexperienced shooter of small stature or one who lives with others I would probably go with a medium frame revolver.

I tell folks who are NOT going to spend a lot of time and money practicing that if

they feel the need for a handgun then they should seriously consider a revolver.

The revolver should be one they can grip properly and reach the trigger with their

trigger finger's furthest joint.

It should be of reasonably high quality and like the gun, the ammo should also be.

Reliability is key - the gun and ammo should work 99.9999 percent of the time, at least.

Then I tell them they should invest in some basic training at an NRA course or similar, as

there is a lot to learn about care and feeding, as well as safe storage and practice.

SC

I'd stick with your .357 recommendation. .357 mag ammo is still very hard to find, but .38 spl has now returned in large quantities. .357 will be along at some point. Your 'neophyte' might be best with .38 anyway for various reasons.

For a woman, have them read this first. In decades of instructing, this is the BEST study ever done for women.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-american-rifleman-ladies-pistol-project/

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Press the trigger a little to raise the hammer a little, turn the barrel to line up the next nipple in the notch, cap it, rotate barrel, etc.  Ease the hammer down between the caps.   

Mossberg M590A1 Marine Defender. Leave it in a corner for 20 years and it will work just like the day you left it. Not fancy but absolutely bloody perfect for the home. It’s deadly simple in use; point, shoot, down range devastation without inadvertently killing the neighbors. The USFWS and USFS don’t issue them in droves for nothing. 

I live in CA, and my first thought was to use Incorrect Pronouns.
Then I realized, by doing so, they would give the perp a washer and dryer, reparations, and the key to the city... I would get 2,000 to life.

So I figured my 20" 870, extended magazine and #1 buck would do the most damage, with the least likelihood of the perp suing me if he survived.

My Dad used to own a gun shop and I used to get this question all the time. For novice shooters I would tell them to buy a shotgun and put ammunition with 7 1/2 shot in it. You don't have to be a very good shot and there is no mistaking the business end of a shotgun. If you do have to shoot someone, the small shot will not usually go thru a wall and injure someone on the other side.....and the bad guy usually doesn't get up. 

48 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

don't have to be a very good shot

How so?  If you're shooting at 20 yards, yeah, there is some validity to that.  But at in the house ranges of three to five yards how much is that shot column going to spread?  

You need to think about the size of the projectile.

I read one time that Jeff Cooper said that if you could not handle the 45, which you should use to shoot center mass, you should go down to a 22 and shoot for the nose.

So you're using that sub 1/4 inch projectile, and you're shooting at a target one inch in diameter.

But with the 12 gauge you're shooting a 1 oz 3/4 inch diameter projectile. You don't need to hit him in the nose. You hit him just about any place and it's going to do some damage.

I agree that at bedroom distance that shot charge is not going to spread open to five or six feet so "you can't miss". But if I point it in the general direction of his breast bone, and I hit him on the left hip, that's a hell of a miss, but I bet he still goes to the floor.

39 minutes ago, Alpo said:

agree that at bedroom distance that shot charge is not going to spread open to five or six feet so "you can't miss". But if I point it in the general direction of his breast bone, and I hit him on the left hip, that's a hell of a miss, but I bet he still goes to the floor

If I point a .357, or even a .32ACP, in the general direction of his breast bone and hit him in the hip he is likely going to the floor.  My point was that you still have to aim that shotgun somewhat closely.  

45 minutes ago, Alpo said:

you're using that sub 1/4 inch projectile, and you're shooting at a target one inch in diameter.

And say you miss by 2 inches or less. That can put it in the mouth, an eye, a cheek bone.  Any of which should cause enough pain to stop an attack.  Heck, a hit to an eye even with a .22, could be fatal.  Just because you miss the tip of the nose doesn't mean you have missed completely.

I own a gunshop and teach CCW classes - there is NO universal perfect carry gun and NO perfect caliber.

DA Revolvers are easier to explain and have a simpler manual of arms but they also often have a heavier trigger pull than a comparable semi auto.

I absolutely HATE the default answer for women, "J frame revolver" - now I love J frame guns; but lets take one of the most difficult guns to shoot accurately and make THAT their first gun. 

Why not double down with the mini 32/ 380 pistols for some added challenge?

My wife carries a mdl 66 Smith 3 inch with hi viz sights - it fits her hand comfortably and she is confident with it.

I am giving her a Smith & Wesson 9mm Equalizer for Christmas (dont tell her - she hasn't opened it yet) - she liked the feel and was comfortable cycling the slide.

She cannot reliably do the same on my Ruger LCP or 1911's.

Archived