SASS Wire Forum

I know y'all up north don't care

Alpo

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Not too bad actually here in Ottawa, Canada: currently -9 C after rain and freezing rain yesterday. 

That's not too bad either, except, the ice and wind took the power out in my place for 8+ hours.

Couldn't use the s'blower, (Electric Start) and had to shovel a double drive and landing space by hand.

Knee braces wore a couple of spots on my legs, but what REEAALLLYY P'd me off, is looking at the 18Kw NG generator sitting in my back yard - Not hooked up yet after 4 months!

Installers, Enbridge Gas and Ottawa Hydro installers and inspectors busy with other installations.

.... after 4 months I'd be a bit ticked off too ...... :(

'Tis 20 past 7 Christmas morning and it's already 29 degrees ........ B)

........ OK .... it's about 80 in your language ..... :blush:

46 below

Men's country.

No mosquitoes.

9 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Now it's 41 F. and the snow is melting fast...

Canada EH!

Jabez Cowboy

I just got up, and it's 26. I see where you sent your cold weather.

I have to leave TX and drive up to Northern MN this week, then double right back.  I'm hoping there's a small break in y'alls weather while I attempt this feat!  Somebody down here wants more potato chips!

2 hours ago, Griff said:

I have to leave TX and drive up to Northern MN this week, then double right back.  I'm hoping there's a small break in y'alls weather while I attempt this feat!  Somebody down here wants more potato chips!

Have a safe trip Griff

Moved to Alabama from Oklahoma to avoid the annual blizzards and ice storms. Been down in single digits last few days here. Heck, had to actually go break ice in the troughs a few times a day! That’s usually not a thing here!

Thankfully, I don’t have to mount up to go lookin for calves in a blizzard, like Powder River Cowboy, our Cattle Ranch, has a herd of just 1 head of cattle and 4 horses, a mule and a donkey….. Hard for em to get lost, on our little. 10 acre spread! (And, they can usually be found by the hay bale anyway……)

99D48E64-E11D-432D-BE0B-EC933558F88D.jpeg

56C3DC8F-8042-4988-A773-5C42F6C33916.jpeg

22 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

'Tis 20 past 7 Christmas morning and it's already 29 degrees ........ B)

........ OK .... it's about 80 in your language ..... :blush:

....... well;, that was yesterday;  it's now an hour earlier tomorrow and it's already 25 and rising, the air is still and the fog is lifting .......... gonna be another hot'n  :o

On 12/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, Alpo said:

Hey, I need you to perform an experiment for me.

Get you a wet piece of cloth. Could be a rag, don't really matter. Wring it out then go hang it on a line.

I'm curious whether you can freeze dry clothing.

It seems to me that if you put the wet clothes out on the line in below zero temperatures, the surface water would freeze. And if you went out there an hour or so later and hit it with a stick, the ice would crack and fall off. Then the next layer of water would freeze. Hit it with a stick, and repeat.

It seems like after 3 or 4 hours of this, or maybe six or eight hours of this, the clothes would be dry. Cold as hell, but dry.

But I don't live where it gets cold enough to try this, and please God I never will. But some of y'all do.

In the name of scientific experimentation...

B)

My mother was from the upper peninsula of Michigan. She always hung her wash out to dry in the winter, said the wind would flap the clothes and break up the ice, as a bonus her white  laundry came out whiter, her theory was the ice falling of the laundry took the minerals that might be in the water with it.  

I was stationed on an island park north of Palm Beach for 18 months. Taking a patrol boat out in the winter with spray coming over the bow and 40 degrees was absolutely horrible. Even a Canadian would have been miserable!

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Taking a patrol boat out in the winter with spray coming over the bow and 40 degrees was absolutely horrible.

What's with the negative vibes?  INVIGORATING!  That's the word you want, it was invigorating! :D

Got up to 28 yesterday and the wind died down.  I figured to make a run up to my mom’s this morning, but it was snowing and 16 this morning!

We got more white stuff today than we did last week and Schoolmarm begged me to wait ‘til tomorrow to go to Kentucky.

SUPPOSED to be in the 40s tomorrow, so I guess I can wait. It DID get up to freezing today…

we are supposed to get mid 30s late this week , may or may not bode well for our jackpot shoot this saturday , they also mentioned rain ..........that will equate to ice , but ill look forward to getting out of these negative temps , its too early for those mid/late jan and feb temps we expect but not pre-new years , 

Archived