SASS Wire Forum

I know y'all up north don't care

Alpo

0 right now going up to 12!! Yippee!! 
35-40’s next week starting on Wednesday!! 52 on Friday and Saturday!!!!

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, where do you think that song came from?

Great tune!! The woke crowd tried to cancel this but you still hear it occasionally!

We’re great, it’s 4 degrees with a 15mph wind, no power for 24 hours now and not looking like it’s coming back on today, last week we went 52 hours without power but at least it was in the 30’s with no wind

7 here, wind dieing down. Still have power this time , out for 46 last week. 

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Remember now - I'm in Florida. Seven below freezing with a 20 knot North wind is cold.

Sort of like me here in California when someone in the eastern part of the country complains about how dry it is in their part of the country because it hasn't rained in a month.  Yeah, and?  

They put out the iguana warnings.

They go torpid and fall outta the trees. People get hit in the head or think they died. Once they warm up they scuttle off.

It's how you tell they're ripe since they stay green

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Oh, the humanity!

Please make sure your dog has a sweater.

She doesn't need a sweater. She has a fur coat.

Seriously Alpo you deal with it just like you deal with the cold you get your not used to it we are you plan your day around the weather or try to. 
    Unless of course you’re hey cowboy, I need to go out and find a few lost heifers. This is me in the middle of a blizzard looking for didn’t know this picture existed until today. 
After that whiskey helpS

98BBA009-E47A-4635-83CA-EFCBF1173A01.jpeg

E653D9ED-7ABF-4C9B-BD1F-FD33A8ECF64C.jpeg

It got up to +8 here a while ago on the way to 20!  Wind about 12 mph and wind chill is -2.

It’s less than an inch of snow but it’ll be a white Christmas for the first time in several years.

No loss of power, so far for us, but some folks have been less fortunate!

Y’all stay safe and warm and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Sorry Alpo.  I guess I'm just not Floridian enough yet.  Uno cracked open the windows last night to air the place out.  They'er still cracked open.  It was 35 Degrees when I got up at 8:30 this morning.  I'm snuggled up in my flannel shirt, jeans and fuzzy slippers, sipping on a warm coffee.  Life's good.

With the wind chill it was -2F when I walked the dog this morning at 8:30 am.

With the windchill, it's supposed to reach a blistering 5 F this afternoon

Suggested to my wife that we go north to the cabin and snuggle in for a few days. It is, after all, 20 degrees warmer there. It's like 14! Sounded good to me. But they just got 24" of snow. Probably not getting in.

21 minutes ago, Chantry said:

With the wind chill it was -2F when I walked the dog this morning at 8:30 am.

With the windchill, it's supposed to reach a blistering 5 F this afternoon

Fingers still numb after Kimber's walk this morning!

29 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Sorry Alpo.  I guess I'm just not Floridian enough yet.  Uno cracked open the windows last night to air the place out.  They'er still cracked open.  It was 35 Degrees when I got up at 8:30 this morning.  I'm snuggled up in my flannel shirt, jeans and fuzzy slippers, sipping on a warm coffee.  Life's good.

My daughter says she's getting good use out of them boots. When she can hold the grand girl down and take 'em back from her.

Pard I feel your Pain, at least I thing so, now that the felling is returning to my frozen fingers...

Or is it just the frostbite leaving...

It was - 32 F here on Thursday....

Jabez Cowboy

Hey, I need you to perform an experiment for me.

Get you a wet piece of cloth. Could be a rag, don't really matter. Wring it out then go hang it on a line.

I'm curious whether you can freeze dry clothing.

It seems to me that if you put the wet clothes out on the line in below zero temperatures, the surface water would freeze. And if you went out there an hour or so later and hit it with a stick, the ice would crack and fall off. Then the next layer of water would freeze. Hit it with a stick, and repeat.

It seems like after 3 or 4 hours of this, or maybe six or eight hours of this, the clothes would be dry. Cold as hell, but dry.

But I don't live where it gets cold enough to try this, and please God I never will. But some of y'all do.

In the name of scientific experimentation...

B)

Clothes will line dry in freezing weather no problem.

They freeze then they're dry, a process called sublimation: ice goes directly to vapor without the intermediate step of liquefaction.

It is, however, a little different to walk up to  blue jeans on the line and knock on them with a bent foreknuckle and experience the general sensation of rapping on a thin plank!

Weather alert for Chino Valley and Prescott AZ area.  Christmas Eve high to be 61 and sunny and Christmas Day to be 63 and sunny.

Brrrrrrrr, I feel you all's pain.

When you live in a place that gets subfreezing weather for 6 months of the year you have the cold weather gear, the coats, the tires, and the experience to cope with it.  When you live where you get a little frost maybe five days a year, and maybe see the birdbath get a little ice around the edges once a decade you have neither the kit nor experience to cope with a freezing weather.

Not too bad actually here in Ottawa, Canada: currently -9 C after rain and freezing rain yesterday. 

That's not too bad either, except, the ice and wind took the power out in my place for 8+ hours.

Couldn't use the s'blower, (Electric Start) and had to shovel a double drive and landing space by hand.

Knee braces wore a couple of spots on my legs, but what REEAALLLYY P'd me off, is looking at the 18Kw NG generator sitting in my back yard - Not hooked up yet after 4 months!

Installers, Enbridge Gas and Ottawa Hydro installers and inspectors busy with other installations.

Archived