SASS Wire Forum

Navy Lieutenant Jailed....

Interesting and tragic story:  Navy Lieutenant Ridge Alkonis has been jailed in Japan for the deaths of two Japanese citizens resultant of an automobile accident.  Evidently, he had previously undiagnosed altitude sickness and lost consciousness driving down Mt Fuji, resulting in the unfortunate crash.  Despite medical determination of the cause, he has been convicted and sentenced to three years in prison.

Now, the kicker: the Department of Defense has decided to cut off his pay and his family's benefits.

Mebbe he shoulda played basketball instead of serving in the Navy.  :(

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-lieutenant-sentenced-japan-causes-outcry-family-lawmakers

Unfortunately, if you get tossed into prison the Navy considers you UA (Unauthorized Absence) for the duration of your prison term. All benefits are ceased. Once you get out of prison you then have a Court Martial for the time that you are UA and there is a very good chance you’ll end up in Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary. 

I am not saying it’s fair. That is just how it is. Or at least that is how it was when I was in. 

Japanese laws are harsh. I doubt the Navy will prosecute him given the circumstances, assuming they are correct.

Two things that stand out from my time in the land of the rising sun! The japs are not friendly to US military personnel. We are always in the wrong in any pissing contest. The US military is not friendly to US military personnel involved in a pissing contest with the japs. You are totally on your own when involved with the japs. I thoroughly  hated that damn place. Much preferred being in Viet Nam with gomers shooting at me than being in japan and having nippers shitting on me.

PF

"doctors said may have been caused by a medical episode."

Maybe the Japanese Judge or jury simply did not buy what sounds like a post hoc rationalization.  Lawyers come up with legal "theories" for their cases all the time to shift blame away from their clients.  Does not mean the decider(s) of fact have to believe the "theory."  Two people died.  Not like losing control of your car and knocking over someone's mailbox.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Japanese laws are harsh. I doubt the Navy will prosecute him given the circumstances, assuming they are correct.

When I was in the Med in 82 in Athens Greece a Lieutenant off of the carrier Eisenhower got mad at a bar, went out into the little town square, lowered the Green flag and peed all over it. Greek law at the time was that anyone that desecrated, vandalized or destroyed a Greek flag the sentence was an automatic 3 years in prison. No exceptions. It was broadcast throughout the fleet that this Lieutenant was going to prison and that the Navy was not going to intervene in any way. It was also put out that he would go to Leavenworth when he got out of the Greek prison. 
The Navy did not tolerate any crap regarding their officers. In this case an enlisted man would have suffered the same fate, but perhaps just a Dishonorable Discharge once out of Greek prison. Officers got the full weight of punishment. 

Archived