SASS Wire Forum

Can dogs smell time?

Chantry

There is a specific schedule for dog activities in our place.  Several walks and a couple of feeding times.  If I am off schedule, one in particular, arrives within one to three minutes of the event time.  If I continue with what I am working on, all the dogs will gather around me until I perform.  The newest is both large and loud and as a last effort, he will begin barking.  Dogs rule.  I believe they do have a time sense, and a considerably greater understanding of language than most non dog people will believe.  About a month ago my Wife obtained a new training treat that is apparently ambrosia for dogs.  She referred to it as the Special Treat.  The word Special now commands instant attention of all the dogs.

Brought to you by the same people who think men can get pregnant and 5 year olds can choose their sex or orientation. The “scientist” they quote also says this is just a hypothesis with no real evidence to support it. 
personally my own dogs can tell when the trash truck is about to arrive as they can hear it about five blocks away. Accurate to about a minute. No smell involved. When we were working our horses would come running as we arrived home and a few times I watched them perk up and start moving long before they could see my wife’s car. Same for the dogs. Hearing not smelling! As far as predicting things just watch an animal during daylight savings time change. They don’t care what the sun is doing, feeding time is 5:00 pm regardless of whether you call it 4:00 pm or 6:00 pm!

sorry to burst their bubble but enough with this junk science garbage!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

7 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Brought to you by the same people who think men can get pregnant and 5 year olds can choose their sex or orientation. The “scientist” they quote also says this is just a hypothesis with no real evidence to support it. 
personally my own dogs can tell when the trash truck is about to arrive as they can hear it about five blocks away. Accurate to about a minute. No smell involved. When we were working our horses would come running as we arrived home and a few times I watched them perk up and start moving long before they could see my wife’s car. Same for the dogs. Hearing not smelling! As far as predicting things just watch an animal during daylight savings time change. They don’t care what the sun is doing, feeding time is 5:00 pm regardless of whether you call it 4:00 pm or 6:00 pm!

sorry to burst their bubble but enough with this junk science garbage!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

Didn't open the link, the title was enough.  As to behavior, absolutely right on Daylight Savings Time, and they can hear my Wife's car at a considerable distance out here in the country, a few minutes before she arrives..

Yep. Mr. Percy knows when my chair creaks around 1:30 it’s time for his afternoon walk. He also has a pretty good vocabulary and knows, come, sit, haircut, walk, treat, kill (purely theoretical given he’s a yorkie), ball, and all five of our names. He’s even smart enough to know whoever walks him after dinner is who he’s staying with that night.

None of that relates to smell though.

Mine tells supper time by daylight.

I try to feed her at 7:00. In the summertime she doesn't get all upset if I miss that 7:00 by 5 or 10 minutes. Because the sun's still up.

But as autumn arrives and the days get shorter, and thus it gets dark earlier, she's insisting at supper time earlier and earlier. And now that we are in standard time, she thinks she needs fed at 4:00.

Well, she might not think she does, but she certainly tells me she does.

Our first Dalmatian was pretty smart.  Schoolmarm spent a lot of time testing him and and learning things about him.  At about eight years old, he could understand around one hundred twenty words and phrases. Some were taught by us and some were learned by association.  Sometimes it would come back to bite us.

”Go for a ride,” was one of his favorite phrases! It got to where we’d have to whisper it carefully if he wasn’t to be included.  He’d even react to us spelling that phrase.

He lost most of his hearing as a result of anesthesia when he had surgery at age eleven or twelve, but we’d speak loudly and he still understood most of his “vocabulary”!

He also had a pretty good concept of time.  He knew when Schoolmarm was due home from school, what time he was supposed to be fed and when it was time for bed.

His greatest confusion was keeping up with my schedule because except for getting up to go to work, I never had a schedule, but he knew the sound of every vehicle I drove! It was understood that he could hear my motorcycle at least three miles away, no matter what time of day or how heavy the traffic was around the house.

Harley was amazing and amusing and I learned that he was purely in touch with his family and his surroundings!

Dogs are truly the best people!!

I don't know if my old dog could smell time or not. but he got up with me every morning at 0400 for work. Problem was, he didn't know weekdays for weekends. On the weekends, you didn't dare even open your eye for a squint, he was waiting for that...then it was THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, etc of the tail on the bed.

Boy, I miss that.

48 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't know if my old dog could smell time or not. but he got up with me every morning at 0400 for work. Problem was, he didn't know weekdays for weekends. On the weekends, you didn't dare even open your eye for a squint, he was waiting for that...then it was THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, etc of the tail on the bed.

Boy, I miss that.

You're not kidding about the squint! :D. We have a Rottie, so no thump, we get the whole 90 pounds in our face!

As many above said, no doubt dogs and cats can tell time. I don't figure they smell it though, nothing smells any different as far as concerned based on time.. except maybe me:lol:.

At the time change , we start breaking them a couple weeks before and they still seem to start the pestering at the old time. Especially for meals and walks for the dog. Meals for the cats, and they get a bit overwhelming about it. One of them starts flipping the handles on the dresser. You can't sleep thru that, trust me. Then when you bitch at the cat, the dog knows you're up. Bottom line, they win.:D

Yes. They can smell time. And taste light. And hear colors. :lol:

Howdy.

A friend of mine is allergic to cats

Of course his kids just had to have a cat.

Someone found out that a weekly bath for kitty minimized dander so

the kids got their cat.

Every saturday the cat got a bath in the kitchen sink. Cat hated it.

One saturday everyone was busy when someone noticed the cat sitting

in the kitchen sink waiting for its hated bath.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Boy, I miss that.

Our last Dalmatian was the offspring of Harley. Traveller wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he was loyal, protective, and lovable!  He was NOT patient!  

When it was time to get up, he knew it! He’d carefully climb into the bed and when he figured he had waited long enough for me to rise’n’ shine, he’d stick his frosty cold, wet nose right in my eye and follow it with a wet slurp of his tongue!!  :o :lol:

A bucket of ice water could NOT be more effective!!

Don't know about the 'smell' part, but Louie was a dog that I swear could read a clock. Kinda.

My routine was (and continues to be) to get up at or right around 4:00, even without an alarm. Just do.

Louie was a 16 pound Yorkie (not a bit of fat on him, either) who would be right there at 4:00. In my face -- 'HEY! It's TIME TO GET UP!'

One morning I woke up just a bit early and saw Louie standing, staring at the clock. I didn't move, didn't stir, Louie didn't even glance at me. Just stood looking at the clock. I could see the clock, the time was 3:58. I waited. Louie waited.

As soon as the clock hit 4:00 (no alarm, either) Louie jumped onto the bed -- 'HEY! IT'S TIME TO GET UP!'

I didn't really believe it, but I saw it happen more than once. If I woke before 4:00 I'd lay still and wait, and if Louie wasn't already there, he'd stroll over just before 4:00 and watch the clock until it changed, then wake me up. Maybe the only time he recognized was 4:00, but he had it down pat.

27 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

So what was that special treat?

There is a big local pet store but I gotta know what to ask fer....

Best

CR

Nutribites Freeze Dried Beef Liver - I think they have another flavor which is just as tasty

15 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

It's -10 degrees here now at 6:50 am, and the dogs who are usually up at 6 haven't stirred.  They don't want to go out.  They may not know time, but they know cold.

-28° and we had to shove two out just to pee!

Minus 2 here right now.  The Boobie is under a nice warm blanket that Schoolmarm threw over her about three am and seems content to remain there!!

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Minus 2 here right now.  The Boobie is under a nice warm blanket that Schoolmarm threw over her about three am and seems content to remain there!!

How about the other Boobie :lol::ph34r:

When our Rottie hears the caller id announce our friend, she gets all exited knowing that Bennie the German Shepard will likely be coming over for a play date. She keeps watching out the back door!

59 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When our Rottie hears the caller id announce our friend, she gets all exited knowing that Bennie the German Shepard will likely be coming over for a play date. She keeps watching out the back door!

They know their surroundings and what’s going on.  Harley always knew when we were going to Sonic.  

He would always get a big cup of vanilla ice cream and the carhop’s would stand around and watch him eat it!

He knew that they were watching and he reveled in the attention!  He could put on a show!!

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

They know their surroundings and what’s going on.  Harley always knew when we were going to Sonic.  

He would always get a big cup of vanilla ice cream and the carhop’s would stand around and watch him eat it!

He knew that they were watching and he reveled in the attention!  He could put on a show!!

My Ruger (Rottie) used to get brain freeze eating soft vanilla ice cream. He'd whimper if we just drove by an ice cream stand. He definitely knew what they were even though they all look different.:D Kimber doesn't ride well, so she hasn't enjoyed the experience yet!

Archived