SASS Wire Forum

Weird Even By My Standards

Subdeacon Joe

How To Make Hot Doctor Pepper (1960s)

(Straight from the as copy.)Bright as a holiday songfest, Hot Dr Pepper is the proud crowd’s festive way to welcome friends and guests. They like to relax, refresh and enjoy the Dr Pepper difference. Why not join them?

12 oz

dr. pepper

2 slice

lemon

Just heat Dr Pepper or Diet Dr Pepper in a saucepan until steaming hot.

Then pour over thin slices of lemon.

unnamed.jpg

Tried it once.  Never again!!

I just had a shudder roll up my back. 

Someone served me that when I was a kid. Yuck, bleche, argh, never again.

We were visiting some people, no idea who or why, but the Mom made us all cups of this. I took a sip, made a gagging noise and sat it down. The looks my Mom and Dad gave me warned me not to do that again. My Mom made me drink all of it. 
image.gif.a873e847e1a4871954b0f8efbdba0a25.gif

48 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hmmmmm......

I'm thinking that it might be improved with some brandy.   

Perhaps just the brandy? ;)

In the 60s and seventies, I did a lot of construction work requiring a lot of driving site to site.

Use to drink Dr Pepper and Mt Dew all day long. Reason was I could get a twist top bottles and drink as I wanted.It did not bother me that it got hot and went flat as the day went along. The bottle just sat on the seat with no cooler in the truck.

I remember a commercial. French fur trapper up in Canada. Drove his dog fledSLED to the Trading Post and loaded up with Dr Pepper.

Took it back to his cabin and it showed him drinking it hot with a slice of lemon floating in it.

5 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I tried it a couple times back when I was a kid.  I liked it.  Actually, I've been thinking about trying it again, but I'm not sure how it would turn out using Diet instead of full strength Dr. Pepper.

Angus

Should be about the same.

When I was a Boy Scout, one of the leaders told us Dr. Pepper had originally been intended to be drunk hot.  He heated some on the camp stove and shared it with us.  To be frank, I don't even remember whether I liked it.

Up until I was in high school I drank coke. But I discovered people would take your soft drink cup, when theirs was empty, and leave their empty where your full one was.

I started drinking Dr Pepper. And people quit stealing my drink. Now I prefer it.

Although I have never tried it hot, I have frequently drank it at room temperature.

Archived