SASS Wire Forum

Christmas 1974

It's December 1974 and mom just took us to see Santa....

Santa tells us to whisper what we want because he's hung over. We ask him how he got his black eye and Santa says his "old lady" punched him when he took her money for the laundromat and bet it on a horse ....

Santa smells like pee, cigarettes and nacho cheese, but I need him to bring me a Nerf football, so I'm gonna sit in his lap anyway...

Driving home, the smell of Santa lingers on all of us....

christmas 1974.jpg

Sounds like the inspiration for “Bad Santa” or that new “Violent Night” movie!!  :o :lol:

Every Christmas eve we would all gather at my parents house. The kids were all Santa believers and the next door neighbor would dress up as Santa and come over and give little gifts to the kids. They were my 2 boys and my sister's 3 girls. They were all within a couple years of each other. The neighbor, Leo, had a thick Polish accent.

After he left the kids would ask, Why does Mr. Prokop dress like Santa??:lol: He thought he was fooling the kids and we all played along! He was a good guy trying to make Christmas a little special!B)

I had a friend who was a member of Big Brothers and at one time the president of the Nashville chapter.

He had a very high quality Santa outfit and appeared as Santa for many events in Nashville over a number of years.  He was very believable and was always in demand, using his act as a fundraising tool.

I kept his vehicles running and sometimes helped with Christmas basket deliveries for the needy.

As a favor one year when my son, his cousin, and Schoolmarm’s youngest brother were all pretty young, my friend dropped by on Christmas morning to drop off some gifts that he’d “missed” during his “regular deliveries”!

It took more than the usual convincing for those three to finally decide that Santa Clause wasn’t real!!

Archived