SASS Wire Forum

WTB cowboy and Indians aluminum large caliber carrier FOUND

Darren Horsey

I SHOULD have  what you’re looking for.

I can check when I get home this evening.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chert Rock Chuck,

Will a Pioneer Gun works short stroke work on a C & I Large Caliber Carrier for a Miroku 1873.  I have contacted C&I about their 4th gen kit for fitment capability on the Miroku.  PG says in ad that you can use your original lever for their stroke kits so the kit is naturally cheaper.  PG as you know has not sold the kit for sometime.  

Just trying to save a buck but don't wanna buy a pig in the polk!  I have an C&I aluminum carrier and looking for a corresponding kit.  Anywhose talked like you had a lot of parts.  Just checking. 

Hawk Eyes Hudson 

2 hours ago, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

Hey Chert Rock Chuck,

Will a Pioneer Gun works short stroke work on a C & I Large Caliber Carrier for a Miroku 1873.  I have contacted C&I about their 4th gen kit for fitment capability on the Miroku.  PG says in ad that you can use your original lever for their stroke kits so the kit is naturally cheaper.  PG as you know has not sold the kit for sometime.  

Just trying to save a buck but don't wanna buy a pig in the polk!  I have an C&I aluminum carrier and looking for a corresponding kit.  Anywhose talked like you had a lot of parts.  Just checking. 

Hawk Eyes Hudson 

I’m no gunsmith.

I have a C&I gen 3, lg caliber short stroke kit in my Uberti ’73. It did not require a new lever.

I used the aluminum carrier that came with the kit until my gunsmith milled the original brass carrier for weight reduction and reinstalled it.

While the lever didn’t need to be replaced, it did need tweaking just a bit to get timing right.

I’ve never owned anything from PGW but have heard alot of negative feedback from folks (Champion level shooters) that have.

2 hours ago, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

Hey Chert Rock Chuck,

Hawk Eyes Hudson 

Your question seems to be mixing apples and oranges.  C&I has never made parts for the Miroku 73.,  Pioneer made a kit for the Miroku but it required using a special aluminum carrier from Pioneer.  Pioneer has discontined the kit so there is no kit currently availble for the Miroku.

On 12/21/2022 at 1:51 AM, Darren Horsey said:

Looking for a cowboy and Indians large caliber aluminum carrier for 1873 rifle

I have one in my Uberti 44 Special 73 , I have no idea if the different generation short stroke kits use different carriers , or if all carriers are the same. If you have a brass carrier in your 73 , and it will work in my rifle with no problem and no fitting needed , I might just trade. My 73 has the 2nd or 3rd Gen action work , not absolutely sure which at this late date. I know I did not have to have a new lever. I had the work done around  2006 -2007 , in that neighborhood.

I foolishly gave my original brass carrier to a pard who was wanting or needing one years ago.

PM me if interested.

Rex :D

Hey Horsey,

I ordered a Large Cal Carrier from C&I and got it in today.  It fit my Miroku so well I have ordered another for my forthcoming Uberti 44 Mag 19".  Everything else will be PGW especially the coil spring kit but I really like the C&I carrier because of one characteristic that I appreciate and I feel makes it run better.  Time will tell?

My old pony "Horse Snot" had a birthday today.  He's "71".

Hawk Eyes Hudson

• Darren Horsey changed the title to WTB cowboy and Indians aluminum large caliber carrier FOUND

Archived