SASS Wire Forum

A moment is Silence for Alpo :)

PowderRiverCowboy

That's quite disappointing. Y'know aside from your joke, it says they're discontinuing ONE brands. My dog eats Purina One lamb and rice. I hope it's not being discontinued. She will eat whatever I put down - eventually. But it will take a while to get her on something else.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's quite disappointing. Y'know aside from your joke, it says they're discontinuing ONE brands. My dog eats Purina One lamb and rice. I hope it's not being discontinued. She will eat whatever I put down - eventually. But it will take a while to get her on something else.

It does say “as Well as several items of Dog Chow Pro Plan, and ONE brands”

I think an email to Purina is in order. 

Now why is it that my dogs could eat long dead critters, poop of any kind (in quantity!), vegetables in the garden, and table scraps. Annnd   be just fine. But if you change up their kibbles they puke all over the house? Can someone explain that to me please?

34 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Now why is it that my dogs could eat long dead critters, poop of any kind (in quantity!), vegetables in the garden, and table scraps. Annnd   be just fine. But if you change up their kibbles they puke all over the house? Can someone explain that to me please?

Or end up with the drizzlens for a week!

51 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

They often barf that stuff up as well, though deer poop seems to qualify as a food with no negative results I've seen.  I was involved with pet foods years ago, and one piece of advice that worked is to start the food switch by blending the new food with the old gradually till feeding just the new food.  Food switching doesn't seem to bother my pack, though there are some they don't care for, strangely enough, the most expensive ones in general.

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did Purina get bad press or something?  Weren’t they profitable?

Had to look . They had a couple lawsuits and 

There is no Alpo Dog Food 2020 because the company has gone bankrupt.

Alpo is a brand of dog food marketed and manufactured in the United States by Nestlé Purina PetCare, a division of the global food company. Soft foods such as canned or packaged dry kibbles are also available. Alpo is inspired by the commercial dog food advertising campaign that ran in the 1970s. The term dogfooding refers to the practice of using one’s own products for food. Dogfooding is also known as a practice of using the developer’s or company’s own products to solve bugs. Ol’ Roy is a grain-free dry dog food made with a small amount of meat and bone. Eggs are high in protein, fatty acids, vitamins, and fatty acids, which your dog requires for proper health. Only when the chickens have been raised are eggs as good as they come. More than two dozen dogs have died after eating Sportmix brand dry kibble, prompting a broader recall of the product.

The COVID pandemic is causing problems for pet food companies because they are struggling to meet demand for their products. Because of a lack of raw ingredients, pet food companies are using processed ingredients and grains instead of raw materials to make their products. This has resulted in a pet food shortage that may last until 2022.
Alpo Chop House has been hardest hit by the pet food shortage, as it is one of the most well-known brands. This grain-free canned dog food contains a moderate amount of named meat and unknown meat-by-products as its primary sources of animal protein. As a result, while Alpo Chop House may be fine during this time, it is not recommended due to its high grain content.

39 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did Purina get bad press or something?  Weren’t they profitable?

Apparently Nestle has decided to thin out some of the Purina brands.  Sales and costs are probably the issue.  Having been a long time and multi dog user, I will say that production standards on some of the products are not as good as in the past. 

In 1969-70 I had a part time job delivering “parts” from a slaughterhouse in New Hampshire to a place in east Boston. The load was simply called dog food. It was not ever USDA. I could tell you what “parts” but I understand that some might be eating dinner while reading.

We had a rat terrier named Susie when I was growing up. Susie was a smart and loyal. I remember she was fed canned Alpo, I don't remember if there was a flavor or not, but it smelled like Dinty Moore canned stew. The Alpo made her fart...a lot and boy did they stink. Stunk so bad that she slept in the dining room with her own bed and blanket. Alpo must have been good stuff though, she lived 18 years.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In 1969-70 I had a part time job delivering “parts” from a slaughterhouse in New Hampshire to a place in east Boston. The load was simply called dog food. It was not ever USDA. I could tell you what “parts” but I understand that some might be eating dinner while reading.

Should I tell you what feed lots feed Chickens ?

Archived