SASS Wire Forum

Brass tumbling question

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I suspect that the steel pins will fall to the bottem of the vibrator and stay there.

Just a caution from book learning...

Make sure your pins are the right (not wrong) size for your brass, so stray pins do not get stuck in the cases.

Have not come across mixing media but maybe you are on to something; would be interested in a 3-way test of one, the other, and mixed. And if smokeless or BP (or sub).

On edit: I just noticed the BP in your post.

Some use the walnut media to dry (and slightly lube) their brass after wet tumbling. 

Haven't tried mixing media myself, but I would assume that the heavy pins would all go to the bottom of the walnut media and if Murphy is around, screw up something in the vibratory mechanism.

The pins will grind the walnut into dust, don't do it.  If you want to use steel pins, get a tumbler setup for the pins.

You might try using the ceramic media in a vibratory tumbler, it's basically what they do in machine chops to debur and clean parts.  The are bigger than the pins so they don't clean the primer pockets as well, but they are better than the walnut shells.  I used them in my wet tumbler before I switched to the steel pins.

Either one, steel pins or ceramic media, are going to be hard on the vibratory tumbler's plastic bowl.  I would check to see how much a replacement bowl is before going too far down that path.  It might be cheaper to buy a used wet tumbler.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:05 PM, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I was thinking of adding the steel pins from the wet tumbler into my crushed walnut media. Has anyone tried that and if so what were your results? I am a darksider so my brass is a bit stained on a good day.

Thanks in advance

Hochbauer

I used about 3# of .186 steel shot for about 10 years. Separated easily with a big magnet. Sorry - I don't remember the shot size #. Also added a smidge of liquid car wax.

12 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

I used about 3# of .186 shot for about 10 years. Separated easily with a big magnet. Sorry - I don't remember the shot size #. Also added a smidge of liquid car wax.

you must mean steel shot.

22 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

you must mean steel shot.

Yes - I'll go back & fix that. Thanks !!!

I always use my wet tumbler with "Brass Juice" and they always come out bright and shinney.  I don't use the pins any more  so I never have to seporate them from the clean brass.

Archived