SASS Wire Forum

I thought my thermometer was broke

Alpo

About to take the dog for a walk. Look at the thermometer. It says it is just barely under 60. So I go back and slip on a light jacket.

We've gone maybe a half a block, and I'm thinking I should have worn a fur parka. Sure feels colder than 58.

About three blocks down the road and she says it's time to leave a present. And as I bend over with the bag to pick it up, I notice steam rising off of it.

Now I don't know about puppy poop, but when I exhale my 99° breath, and I can see it steaming, it has to be close to freezing. At least into the 30s.

So I decide that my thermometer has definitely broke.

Then when I get home I check with another thermometer. It says it is 59°.

If that's true, then why was the puppy poop steaming? That's confusing.

35 minutes ago, Alpo said:

About to take the dog for a walk. Look at the thermometer. It says it is just barely under 60. So I go back and slip on a light jacket.

We've gone maybe a half a block, and I'm thinking I should have worn a fur parka. Sure feels colder than 58.

About three blocks down the road and she says it's time to leave a present. And as I bend over with the bag to pick it up, I notice steam rising off of it.

Now I don't know about puppy poop, but when I exhale my 99° breath, and I can see it steaming, it has to be close to freezing. At least into the 30s.

So I decide that my thermometer has definitely broke.

Then when I get home I check with another thermometer. It says it is 59°.

If that's true, then why was the puppy poop steaming? That's confusing.

Was the either thermometer exposed to direct sunlight?

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Maybe the air was dry?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Weather app says 30% humidity.

For Florida, that's dry as hell.

Although, if the dry air is the reason why the warm moist dog poop steamed, why didn't my warm moist breath steam?

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

Was the either thermometer exposed to direct sunlight?

That would be a negative.

1 hour ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Fur parka for temps in the 50s…….

Couple days ago I was conversing with girl from Minnie-soda. She was mentioning the 5 inches of slushy snow she had. I asked her if it would be a bad time to mention that I'd been wandering around outside all day in nothing but a pair of gym shorts.

If it gets really really cold here, it might go below freezing. But that's very rarely.

So yes, fur parka for the 50s would be quite normal.

I think, in order to really figure this out, you're going to need to take your dog for another walk.

Take the thermometer from the house and probe-type thermometer, along with a hygrometer.

After your dog does its business, if the pile is steaming, measure the pile with the probe-type thermometer and record that temp as well as the air temp and humidity, and then bring that info back to us.

If the pile is not steaming, you will have to repeat the process until satisfactory results can be recorded.

We of the Wire look forward to helping you with this dilemma.

Supposed to be 32 below here Wednesday night, then up to 43 come Sunday... 75 degree difference. My old house is so piss poorly insulated, I sleep on the couch, a bit under eight feet from the stove when it gets like that. I slept in my bedroom last night, and it was 54 degrees in there when I got up this morning. :mellow:

13 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Fur parka for temps in the 50s…….

.... in Florida.

Fleeces come out in the mid 60's and snow suits and seal skins when it dips below 45. 

Nanook of the North has nothing on Floridians (and the inhabitants of LA- that's  Lower Alabama- or South GA) when it starts actually getting cold.

It was 57 F yesterday morning, and today it was 47 F.   It's forecast to drop to 37 F by Christmas day, and this is Central Florida.  After living in Fl for the last 43 years your body really gets acclimated to changes in temps.  Of course, being 80 years old don't help, I don't ponder about steam rising from my dog's poop when I walk her, I'm just sometimes envious that she can make such a big deposit and just keep going.  

I feel parkas and mukluks are in order.........................BRRRR!

The coldest that I've ever felt/been was in Lakeland, Florida in February 1999. Was at a Polk County Crackers SASS match. The day started off at about 70 degrees. About the time we started shooting the 3rd stage, a cold front blew in with rain and gusty winds. Cover was 100 yards away, but the rain didn't last but a few minutes, just enough to get you wet, not soaking wet...but wet. Within 30 minutes, the temp dropped 25 degrees to about 45. You may not think that sounds cold but buddy, it was. It was cold enough that they stopped the match.

I've been in Yankee cold weather before, Buffalo NY - January 1978 during a blizzard with all the fixin's. That day in Lakeland felt MUCH worse than that. NY was a "dry" cold, Lakeland was a "wet/humid" cold.

Sherron and I, end of January, on the beach in Miami, getting some sun, me in bathing suit and her in her bikini (sigh)

Fellow walks by wearing a leather jacket and a wool cap (tuque it you're Cdn) pulled over his ears, and says, "Your from up North aren't you?"

"Yes" we reply and I ask, "Are you really that cold?"

He replied, "Mister, you have no idea!" and pulls up his pant leg to show us he is wearing long underwear.

I never invite my Florida friends up here after the end of September or for Christmas.

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

Although, if the dry air is the reason why the warm moist dog poop steamed, why didn't my warm moist breath steam?

That would be a negative.

Couple days ago I was conversing with girl from Minnie-soda. She was mentioning the 5 inches of slushy snow she had. I asked her if it would be a bad time to mention that I'd been wandering around outside all day in nothing but a pair of gym shorts.

If it gets really really cold here, it might go below freezing. But that's very rarely.

So yes, fur parka for the 50s would be quite normal.

Having known a few folks from "Minnie-soda" I wouldn't have been surprised if her reply had been: "So was I."  Although, she would have likely been also wearing shoes and a T-Shirt.  If the snow is "slushy" it can't be all that cold.  :D

Angus

1 hour ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I assume you made sure you arent using the one that says "for rectal use" ? Just checking

but -3 this morning warmest this week 

The only difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer is the taste. LOL :o

43 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If I give my dog a green chili burro for dinner

Your dog eats an entire burro for dinner? How big is your dog?

ive decided my down parka will get worn a lot more this year - it usually only comes out when we hit -10 to -20 but im thinking anytime its below zero ill wear it , i paid a lot to have it and it deserves to be worn more , owned it for better than 20 years and probably been worn in less than 18 , its very warm and fairly lightweight , but its puffy ............i hate winter 

Archived