SASS Wire Forum

Finally watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” the whole way through.

Pat Riot

Up until today I have never seen the entire movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”. I always seemed to miss the entire movie except for the very end. Really a great movie. I enjoyed it immensely. 

Caught Miracle on 34th St. on Friday and the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol is recorded for later this week.

I have seen It’s a Wonderful Life so many times in the last few years that I need a break from that one for a while.

I have Donovan’s Reef recorded for this week and Schoolmarm insists that I record Die Hard.

I also recorded Lethal Weapon 1 !! If Die Hard is a Christmas movie then so is Lethal Weapon!! :lol:

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I also recorded Lethal Weapon 1 !! If Die Hard is a Christmas movie then so is Lethal Weapon!! :lol:

I've been saying that for years now!

I ran across this some time ago. It is an interesting read about Jimmy Stewart, his PTSD, and the making of It's a Wonderful Life.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-jimmy-stewart-book-mov-1202-20161201-column.html

Interesting article. Whatever its source, that undercurrent of near-hysteria became part of Stewart's success, I think. He was an everyman in a sense. Like Thoreau's line: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Maybe overstated, but one gets it.

It's all over Wonderful Life, right up to the end, where he still looks half-crazed when all has come right.

Then there's the steak scene in Liberty Valance, and you see it in a lot of his other movies. Flight of the Phoenix, where he can hardly control his anger at times.

I also like the movie and for years sang the song “I love you truly” that they sang in the rain to both my daughters, though one had drifted away some time ago and didn’t want to hear it anymore, the 11 year old seems embarrassed but also reminds me if I go a while without singing it to her.  I also kissed them on their forehead afterwards.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:36 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Up until today I have never seen the entire movie “It’s a Wonderful Life”. I always seemed to miss the entire movie except for the very end. Really a great movie. I enjoyed it immensely. 

Seriously????

Wow...my 3 and 4 year old grandkids have sat through it every Christmas!!

Glad you finally saw it!

"EEE-AWWWW"

23 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Interesting article. Whatever its source, that undercurrent of near-hysteria became part of Stewart's success, I think. He was an everyman in a sense. Like Thoreau's line: "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Maybe overstated, but one gets it.

It's all over Wonderful Life, right up to the end, where he still looks half-crazed when all has come right.

Then there's the steak scene in Liberty Valance, and you see it in a lot of his other movies. Flight of the Phoenix, where he can hardly control his anger at times.

Also the saloon scene near the end of "Winchester '73" when he puts Dan Duryea's head on the bar; Stewart really looked like he was real close to losing it.  I can't imagine there was more than one or two takes...

On 12/18/2022 at 12:36 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the movie.    Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors, and I had the distinct pleasure of going through the Jimmy Stewart Museum in his home town of Indiana, PA.  

I have a personal connection with "It's a Wonder Wonderful Life."  I appeared in  two stage productions of it as Mr. Martini in the Chambersburg, PA production  and as Mr. Gower the druggist in the Frederick, MD production.  It was a joy to be able to appear in the stage productions based on this classic movie.

6 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the movie.    Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors, and I had the distinct pleasure of going through the Jimmy Stewartlus Museum in his home town of Indiana, PA.  

I have a personal connection with "It's a Wonder Wonderful Life."  I appeared in  two stage productions of it as Mr. Martini in the Chambersburg, PA production  and as Mr. Gower the druggist in the Frederick, MD production.  It was a joy to be able to appear in the stage productions based on this classic movie.

Cool! I had no idea there was a Jimmy Stewart museum in Indiana, PA. I will have to check that out. Thank you. 

I’ll bet playing those parts was fun. I appreciate those that can act on stage or perform in front of live audiences. I used to have stage fright something awful.

8 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

"See George, you really have had a wonderful life" - one of my favorite movie lines.

This movie really is a great message. It also made me reflect on what is truly important. 

It always disappoints me that Potter isn’t caught and imprisoned for taking the deposit money!!

The whole thing is spoiled for me because that isn’t resolved!

Since I missed the telecast for this year, I am showing my orginal uncut DVD of "It's a Wonderful Life" in my living room tonight.

A few years ago the Majestic Theater in Gettysburg showed the movie on the big screen.  That was an impressive experience.

Since I worked in the real estate title business, I always liked Pop Bailey's line "It's deep  in the race for a man  to want his own roof, walls and fireplace, and we're helping him get those things in our shabby little office."

On 12/20/2022 at 3:09 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

It always disappoints me that Potter isn’t caught and imprisoned for taking the deposit money!!

The whole thing is spoiled for me because that isn’t resolved!

But it was. The lost ending shows that justice was done:

Another good one is ....

"The Christmas Wish" with Jimmy Duranti.

Archived