SASS Wire Forum

45 cowboy Special , 200 grain RNFP, Clays powder

Old Ranger

For me I'd give em a shot:ph34r:, I load mine with 4.2 and think they are bit hotter than needed. Won't take long to shoot 50 and if the first few are way to mouse farty then break em down. JMHO

I don't know how they would compare...but I load 3.5 grains of trailboss with a 200 gr rnfp in cowboy spacial...no problems

I wouldn’t shoot them in below freezing weather, but if you’re above the fifties I’d give them a try. Can’t hurt as long as you watch out for squibs. 

Sam Sackett 

11 hours ago, Sam Sackett said:

I wouldn’t shoot them in below freezing weather, but if you’re above the fifties I’d give them a try. Can’t hurt as long as you watch out for squibs. 

Sam Sackett 

Yes , Sam that’s what I’m concerned about.  I guess I’ll  just pull them and start over. Thanks for you response.

The thrill-seeker in me sez that since my reduced load calculator predicts 650 fps with 2.9 grains, shoot 'em up!  But the cheap Scotsman in me sez to salvage the components & refill with 3.2-3.4 grains (700-735 fps), for a more sensible load!

Wull, I load 5 gr.  clay dot in my .44 russians   then 5.5 in .44 colt,  then 6 in 44 wcf.     aint had a mouse phart yet.  I like full out warthog type loads.   aint looking to find a 205 gr,  barrel plug.   ymmv.

I would shoot them in a pistol.

The shorter barrel (than a rifle) and the very short contact between bullet/bore would make squibs unlikely.

I would try a few before I attempted a blazing-fast (for me) stage just to verify that squibs were not an issue.

15 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Just curious. Why are you shooting a 200 gr bullet from 45 cs cases?

To make power factor in Wild Bunch...  Although bullets as light as 180 grains are acceptable, there is zero tolerance.  I.e. one bullet of 179.9 grains will deem your ammunition unacceptable and disqualify you from competition.  Few take on that risk.  The lighter bullets take more velocity to make power factor and arguably more felt recoil for the same power factor.  

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

The whole purpose of the case is to use lighter bullets with reduced powder. Just curious. 

It's a legitimate question.  I shoot 200gr bullets in 45 Colt cases with Hodgdon's minimum of Clays (4.6gr), and they seem quite tame and are plenty consistent.  I suppose by using the smaller Cowboy Special brass, you could use a little less powder.  I won 500 160gr bullets as a door prize and plan on shooting them in Schofield cases since I have plenty of those.  But the one small sample (5 rounds) I tried with 4.0gr Clays with the 160gr bullet in the Schofield cases shot fine, but I had them in one pistol and the 200gr 45 Colts in the other pistol, and when the beep went off I really didn't notice any difference in them. 

7 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

The whole purpose of the case is to use lighter bullets with reduced powder. Just curious. 

Exxxxaxctly! I’ve shoot many thousands C45S “ 45 Cowboy” with 3.8 of Trail Boss using 150-165 lead and or coated bullets with excellent results for almost a decade. The case also works quite well with BP or subs, plenty of smoke and minimum recoil. 

6 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I shoot the 130 gr  barnstormers over 3 gr of Promo/red dot in pistols.  I was curious about using 200 gr in Cs. Why not use 45 colt for that bullet and powder combo. I did not think about someone using 45cs in Wildbunch.

I like it... Can use the same load/bullet in either case and just change the toolhead & shellplate on the Dillon and keep on cranking them out.  In Cowboy, I use the 160 grain RFN & 3.4 grains of Clays.

something to be said for that line of thinking with todays shortages of components , i would agree with this advice , besides its nice to have full confidence in what you ;load in your firearms 

Archived