SASS Wire Forum

Gun shipping….new one in me

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I was looking into having one of my semi auto rifles worked on by a fella that apparently specializes in such guns. Had a good conversation with him and he was well familiar with the breakdown and parts and function beyond what I’d find to be keyboard warrior stuff.

So then we get to the service and shipping part….

Gunsmith instructed me to ship the rifle, along with a box of ammo with it via UPS and declare it as “machine parts sent out for repair”. He’d even send me a label. Right….

UPS? I thought UPS had to ship through a service center and declare it as a weapon.

Before I go disclosing the company’s name and info, just thought I’d throw this out there.

Whole deal is wrong on too many levels.

I am really not sure how much trouble one could get into with UPS. With the USPS one could get into lots of trouble. Still, I would be very leery of this. Shipping ammo in the box is the big red flag for me. I think I would pass. 

If he has an FFL you can ship the gun using shipmygun.com. shipmygun.com (Bud's Gun Shop) acts as the shipping FFL for you. UPS demands that you do not mark that it is a firearm on the box. I don't even divulge it to the counter person unless they ask. I would not ship the ammo with it.

Federal law requires that you do not mark the box that it has a gun.

Federal law also requires that you inform the shipper there is a gun in the box.

And then there's that pesky little federal law about shipping ammunition. Box has to be labeled.

Only reason I can come up with for him requesting you to do that this way is that he does not have an FFL. If you ship a gun to someone that does not have an FFL, you have broken the law. Not him.

I would find another gunsmith, or I would insist he send me a copy of his FFL.

If you're shipping the part of the gun that has the serial number, by Federal law, it MUST go to an FFL. 

It sounds like this particular gunsmith does NOT have an FFL and is asking you to break the law to do business with him.  That's both illegal and unethical.

Shipping would be for the complete rifle as the work being done involves the gas port, and ammo was for test function. I believe his diagnosis is correct. The logistics for his remedy is the problem.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Shipping would be for the complete rifle as the work being done involves the gas port, and ammo was for test function. I believe his diagnosis is correct. The logistics for his remedy is the problem.

Flat out ask him if he has an FFL.  Then make your decision accordingly.  Mine would be a solid NO GO.

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Yeah I’m going to pass now that I just read over those federal requirements. I also have aversion to misrepresenting myself in the eyes of the ATF.

Or their showing up at your door. Like game wardens, no sense of humor.

It is against federal law to ship ammunition with the gun.  UPS changed policies last summer. They only ship FFL to FFL.  You must have a contract and a seperate account to ship firearms, another for firearm parts, and a third for accessories.  The gun must be scheduled online for pickup by a driver, not brought to a hub.

Your gunsmith is not alone, I've heard of manufacturer instructing broken pistols be returned as "machined parts" via USPS flat rate.

Archived